Writing Portion on Interview Day???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dustyroadrunner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else had to do a "Writing Sample" on their interviews??? Were the essays for PTCAS/supplemental info and the GRE not enough? haha

Members don't see this ad.

Ahaha...yeah UCSF had a 15 min essay on "If you could go anywhere for 10 days, money not an issue, where would you go and WHY?"

I think it's just a question of seeing how well you can articulate your thoughts on paper, and also an attempt at seeing how you write in person. They don't know if you really wrote your essays or not, so it's a way for your voice to show through in this quick writing sample. I doubt it weighs much in the overall process, though if your grammar is terrible they might take note of it.

Yes, at my Chatham interview we had a writing portion. There were 3 questions... to the best of my memory, they were something along these lines:

1. A scenario was given in which a DPT student did her full-time clinical through a company in which she and the staff became very close. When it came time to take her national exam, she was offered free tutoring sessions with her boss. At the first session she noticed the questions he was going over were nothing like the ones she had seen on the NPTE website or heard about from current PTs. What should she do?

2. Talk about your strengths and weaknesses, describe how your strengths will help you here, and discuss how you can improve on your weaknesses.

3. Describe an event in your life that challenged you and what you learned from it.

Yeah Western did one of those too. We were shown a photo of a guy juggling in a wheelchair and asked to write about how it related to the field of physical therapy. Kinda vague. A lot of directions we could have gone in. Between that portion of the process and the actual interviews, I was talking to some of the other applicants and we were all pretty much like, "uhh what did you guys write??" haha