Writing orders during medicine rounds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wondertwinkle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I might be ignorant here - but is it okay for medical students to write orders during rounds? Our team does this during rounds instead of waiting until later in the after noon.

Just curious! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on whether your residents, attendings, and institution thinks it's ok. I've been with residents who want me to do so, others who don't because they need to countersign them anyway. Ask

I did it every morning on medicine - the chief would spout off a bunch of stuff we needed and I'd write the order and just have the intern sign it. Then on surgery we usually hauled @ss through rounds and as the interns were writing progress notes I'd write orders and then have them sign it afterwards. Overall I thought the interns really liked that because everything was much more efficient. Just gotta make sure someone signs it and that you're writing the correct stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Technically I don't think med students are allowed to write orders at all in most places, and I've never heard of them being able to sign them (countersignature or not). That said, it is very common for you to be expected to write orders and have a physician team member sign the orders. What the official rules dictate, and what actually is expected and happens are different things.

Generally it's not a big deal. Just write the order and get it signed. However, you should make sure that the signer actually reads the order you wrote. Also, I would never write for something you aren't absolutely sure about without asking for confirmation first. If you aren't sure of a dose or drug, don't assume someone is checking your work. Verbally confirm that what you've written is correct when you get it signed.

At our school and most places I did my away rotations, we were expected to write the orders. Then we would just hand the chart to one of the residents to sign as we went on to the next patient. Basically the rule was, if it wasnt your patient to present, you would get chart, write orders, then put up chart after they were signed