Writing a Personal Statement as a Reapplicant.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSBro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So from what I have researched and from my experience applying once. I feel that I should completely redo my personal statement from the point of view as a reapplicant to medical school. That said, should I reiterate what I said the reason why I wanted to become a doctor was in my first personal statement? I have heard that many schools compare your two personal statements side by side, so I don't want to waste my space and their time explaining the original reason why I wanted to become a doctor.

I was thinking I would write in my personal statement how the activities I did this last year have helped me grow as a person and have motivated me to continue on my pursuit of becoming a doctor. I would like to mention how the application process itself has matured and humbled me and has changed the reasons why I want to become a doctor.

So in summation, how much of my old personal statement can I scrap when reapplying.

Members don't see this ad.

A Personal Statement should tell your personal story, leading up to why you want to be a doctor. I would absolutely reiterate what you said the first time around but also emphasize what you learned this last year and how it has matured you.

A Personal Statement should tell your personal story, leading up to why you want to be a doctor.

THIS. Tell your story but use some experiences from your applciation year to add a new layer of dedication to medicine and service. Your goals or interest might not have changed, but you should have new experiences to draw from that reinforce your commitment. If you have changed in your year off, then your PS should naturally change as well.

Don't stress aabout the reapp thing in your PS though. Just tell your story and show that you are passionate and awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't stress aabout the reapp thing in your PS though. Just tell your story and show that you are passionate and awesome.

I want to do that badly, but being a reapplicant is the big elephant in the room that the adcoms are thinking the whole time. I feel that it has become a label that I must address, also it marks a previous failure and I feel I need to show them I am not the failure I was last year.

I want to do that badly, but being a reapplicant is the big elephant in the room that the adcoms are thinking the whole time. I feel that it has become a label that I must address, also it marks a previous failure and I feel I need to show them I am not the failure I was last year.
I am a reapp that got in this year. I didnt' address it in my PS at all. I'm also guessing that you will apply to new schools and you don't want them to know you are a reapp. Also, the interview is a time to talk about it if they even care. Show that you have grown by talking about the things you have been doing this year. Hopefully it will show a new perspective and some maturity since teh last cycle. I will read over your PS if you want. just PM me.

i just don't think you should come out and talk about it specificially. IMO

Reactions: 1 user