Writing a paper on "Ethics of Teledentistry: DIY Ortho" help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toothstones123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently researching and writing a paper for my undergraduate healthcare ethics class on the ethics of teledentistry, focusing on DIY/Direct to consumer orthodontic companies. If any practicing dentist/orthodontist has any first-hand anecdotes or opinions they would like to share, that would be greatly appreciated! I would like to include relevant comments from ALL perspectives, and any comments included would be completely anonymous in the paper (not including SDN username either). Feel free to message me privately if you would not like to post your comments publicly on this thread as well.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have no doubt a simple google search would yield what you're looking for. I'll get you started - Orthodontic movement of teeth in a periodontally compromised patient (most of which don't even know they have active disease given that its chronic, mostly, and painless) will lead to probable loss of the teeth due to bone resorption without deposition. DIY Ortho is going to make prosthodontists very wealthy.

Reactions: 1 user
I have no doubt a simple google search would yield what you're looking for. I'll get you started - Orthodontic movement of teeth in a periodontally compromised patient (most of which don't even know they have active disease given that its chronic, mostly, and painless) will lead to probable loss of the teeth due to bone resorption without deposition. DIY Ortho is going to make prosthodontists very wealthy.

Yes, I've already read and researched lots on google, but I wanted to reach out to SDN to see if any dentists who were not comfortable with publicly stating their opinion or who have not had the opportunity to share their stories to do so! Thank you for your comment though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I am currently researching and writing a paper for my undergraduate healthcare ethics class on the ethics of teledentistry, focusing on DIY orthodontic companies. If any practicing dentist/orthodontist has any first-hand anecdotes or opinions they would like to share, that would be greatly appreciated! I would like to include relevant comments from all perspectives, and any comments included would be completely anonymous in the paper (not including SDN username either). Feel free to message me privately if you would not like to post your comments publicly on this thread as well.

Thank you in advance for your help!
I’d recommend not setting up a straw man for yourself by referring to it at “DIY” orthodontics. “Direct to consumer” or “mail order” are probably more correct terms, especially if you have already conceded the point that they fall under the category of teledentistry. I’m not arguing in favor of them, but if you are going to discuss their ethics, you should probably be more accurate in setting up the argument and describing who/what it is you are referring to.
I don’t have much to say about the orthodontics part of that, but I think teledentistry could be pretty amazing when practiced appropriately in rural settings.

Reactions: 1 users
I’d recommend not setting up a straw man for yourself by referring to it at “DIY” orthodontics. “Direct to consumer” or “mail order” are probably more correct terms, especially if you have already conceded the point that they fall under the category of teledentistry. I’m not arguing in favor of them, but if you are going to discuss their ethics, you should probably be more accurate in setting up the argument and describing who/what it is you are referring to.
I don’t have much to say about the orthodontics part of that, but I think teledentistry could be pretty amazing when practiced appropriately in rural settings.

thank you, yes I should have probably been more specific in my post. For sure, teledentistry has the opportunity to be amazing in some cases, as seen in telemedicine. But my worry is that since dentistry is so hands-on and procedural, that there may be some ethical limitations to teledentistry and as a result yield potential negative consequences (as seen most commonly in direct to consumer orthodontics).

I will be referring to it with the proper terminology in my paper as well, because yes, I will be presenting both sides of the argument and then choosing a side!

thank you, yes I should have probably been more specific in my post. For sure, teledentistry has the opportunity to be amazing in some cases, as seen in telemedicine. But my worry is that since dentistry is so hands-on and procedural, that there may be some ethical limitations to teledentistry and as a result yield potential negative consequences (as seen most commonly in direct to consumer orthodontics).

I will be referring to it with the proper terminology in my paper as well, because yes, I will be presenting both sides of the argument and then choosing a side!
Which side are you choosing?

Status
Not open for further replies.