Wright State Boonshoft vs. OU-HCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stethosc0pe

Reaction score
Hello all, I was just accepted off the waitlist at Wright State Boonshoft SOM and now have a decision to make. For note, I am an Ohio resident.

Wright State BSOM:
Pros:
-MD School
-P/F curriculum (not sure if it is true pass fail, I believe there are some internal rankings)
-Decent hospital rotations (Kettering Health System and Dayton Children's)
-Small class size
-Cheaper COA (around 258k)
-Pretty strong match list, match in all specialties and in good locations within the state and out of state

Cons:
-I have no connections to Dayton, this would be a fresh start for me.
-Completely flipped classroom model (I do not know if I would be great or terrible in this style)
-Farther from family and friends (around an hour away)
-Research is harder to get according to students
-Shorter breaks compared to OU-HCOM
-Do not know much about student support b/c I did not attend second look

Ohio University HCOM:
Pros:
-Closer to family and friends, I grew up in central Ohio
-Decent hospital rotations (OhioHealth and Nationwide Children's)
-P/F curriculum (designation for top 25%)
-Larger class size overall (250) but for the branch I attend it would be around 70
-I have good research connections here and attended for UG
-I attended second look and their student support seems great

Cons:
-DO School
-More expensive COA (285k)
-Decent match list, mostly primary care and in-state (which I am not opposed to), but quality of location varies
-Research hard to get at branch campuses but my connections may mitigate this
-Need to take COMLEX and learn OMM (not the biggest fan of OMM as of right now)

I would not need to move for my rotations which is good. I have worked hard to get to this point, so I do not want to make a wrong choice. I think I would be a good student at either institution. I know Dayton is not far from my family so I may be blowing this out of proportion. I do not want to regret my choices and it seems crazy to turn down an MD school for a DO school. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely take the MD option. Wright State is a good school and 1 hr is definitely close enough to make weekend trips fairly frequently. It’s nice that you get to save money on top of it too.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all, I was just accepted off the waitlist at Wright State Boonshoft SOM and now have a decision to make. For note, I am an Ohio resident.

Wright State BSOM:
Pros:
-MD School
-P/F curriculum (not sure if it is true pass fail, I believe there are some internal rankings)
-Decent hospital rotations (Kettering Health System and Dayton Children's)
-Small class size
-Cheaper COA (around 258k)
-Pretty strong match list, match in all specialties and in good locations within the state and out of state

Cons:
-I have no connections to Dayton, this would be a fresh start for me.
-Completely flipped classroom model (I do not know if I would be great or terrible in this style)
-Farther from family and friends (around an hour away)
-Research is harder to get according to students
-Shorter breaks compared to OU-HCOM
-Do not know much about student support b/c I did not attend second look

Ohio University HCOM:
Pros:
-Closer to family and friends, I grew up in central Ohio
-Decent hospital rotations (OhioHealth and Nationwide Children's)
-P/F curriculum (designation for top 25%)
-Larger class size overall (250) but for the branch I attend it would be around 70
-I have good research connections here and attended for UG
-I attended second look and their student support seems great

Cons:
-DO School
-More expensive COA (285k)
-Decent match list, mostly primary care and in-state (which I am not opposed to), but quality of location varies
-Research hard to get at branch campuses but my connections may mitigate this
-Need to take COMLEX and learn OMM (not the biggest fan of OMM as of right now)

I would not need to move for my rotations which is good. I have worked hard to get to this point, so I do not want to make a wrong choice. I think I would be a good student at either institution. I know Dayton is not far from my family so I may be blowing this out of proportion. I do not want to regret my choices and it seems crazy to turn down an MD school for a DO school. What do you all think?
I have the same exact options and a very similar situation lol and will be going with Wright State, no question. Very solid school with good opportunities and a strong clinical skills preparation, pros definitely outweigh its cons and the advantages of OU-HCOM in my opinion.