OU-HCOM (OOS) vs DMU (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decision_Throwaway

Reaction score
Hi! I currently have acceptances to both of these schools and am trying to figure out which one would be the better choice. For reference, I am thinking of going into internal medicine for residency. Since I am OOS for OU-HCOM, the tuition would be similar between the two.

OU-HCOM Athens
Pros:
  • Pass/fail grading
  • Public
  • Matches well into internal medicine
  • Exceptional accreditation
  • Opportunity to rotate at teaching hospitals

Cons:
  • Mandatory attendance
  • Business casual dress code for lectures
  • Lottery system for rotation sites
  • Farther away from home (OOS, so no IS tuition)

DMU
Pros:
  • High board exam pass rates and matches well
  • New campus
  • Closer to home (in-state)
  • No mandatory attendance
  • No dress code for lectures

Cons:
  • Graded curriculum
  • Private
  • Lottery system for rotations, with some students unable to get year-long rotation sites
  • More OMM heavy(?)

Members don't see this ad.

Not worth it to move to Ohio over staying closer to home at DMU. Mandatory attendance and dress code along with it is a pain if it doesn't come with a lower tuition like at LECOM. DMU is one of the original DO schools, so you should be fine there.

Not worth it to move to Ohio over staying closer to home at DMU. Mandatory attendance and dress code along with it is a pain if it doesn't come with a lower tuition like at LECOM. DMU is one of the original DO schools, so you should be fine there.
So you would say the location and mandatory attendance/dress code at DMU would outweigh the pass/fail curriculum at OU-HCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you would say the location and mandatory attendance/dress code at DMU would outweigh the pass/fail curriculum at OU-HCOM?
Yes, if you are going to school 9-5 with mandatory lectures at OU-HCOM, that's not worth it for P/F. You can try to see how strict they are from a current student though.

Yes, if you are going to school 9-5 with mandatory lectures at OU-HCOM, that's not worth it for P/F. You can try to see how strict they are from a current student though.
It's enforced with attendance codes. For a flipped classroom, I'd say only 20% of our lectures are worthless IMHO. I usually find them interesting and helpful. But there are definitely some days when I question why we must show up.

It's enforced with attendance codes. For a flipped classroom, I'd say only 20% of our lectures are worthless IMHO. I usually find them interesting and helpful. But there are definitely some days when I question why we must show up.
How is the rotation situation there? Are there a good number of high quality rotation sites? Are all students able to find yearly rotations, or is it like DMU where most students find yearly rotations but some are stuck with monthly rotations?

How is the rotation situation there? Are there a good number of high quality rotation sites? Are all students able to find yearly rotations, or is it like DMU where most students find yearly rotations but some are stuck with monthly rotations?
I'm an M1, so.I don't know specifics, but rotation sites depend on the campus. Most of them are quality.

Which campus were you interested in?

I'll have to get back to you with more info