Wow...That is some serious fraud

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chartreuse Wombat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
$40 million is a lot of bread. Tablets are pretty cheap. Let's be generous and say she cleared $500 per computer after the other side of the enterprise took their cut. That's actually 80,000 computers. That's 7x the student enrollment of Yale. Tremendous incompetence.

Reactions: 2 users
It appears these large academic institutions are ripe with grifters, conmen, ruses to everyone’s surprise.

Reactions: 4 users
If you don’t grift, you ain’t trying!

$40 million is a lot of bread. Tablets are pretty cheap. Let's be generous and say she cleared $500 per computer after the other side of the enterprise took their cut. That's actually 80,000 computers. That's 7x the student enrollment of Yale. Tremendous incompetence.
I wonder what Yale‘s computers look like… probably still on Windows Me. 😃😃😃

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Yale endowment $43 billion, her fraud was literally a rounding error for them. Crazy, makes you wonder how many others are out there that never get caught

Reactions: 3 users
Yale endowment $43 billion, her fraud was literally a rounding error for them. Crazy, makes you wonder how many others are out there that never get caught
Exactly my thought makes you wonder the kind of crimimality that just has not been discovered in these academic systems who are too big to fail. Ever wonder about that academic you know who rakes in tons of money? Likely something shady going on!

That recent article about the Yale med-mal case with the missed RP node for head and neck was also on the order of $34 million.

Hate to be a shill for big academia but... An endowment is not an operating budget. The purpose of an endowment is to allow an institution to operate indefinitely through times of economic hardship, wars, etc. Only the earnings from investment of the endowment typically go into the operating budget.

Hate to be a shill for big academia but... An endowment is not an operating budget. The purpose of an endowment is to allow an institution to operate indefinitely through times of economic hardship, wars, etc. Only the earnings from investment of the endowment typically go into the operating budget.
The endowments of many, many major institutions are orders of magnitude larger than would be necessary for that purpose.

Googling ..

Operating expenses at Harvard are $5.4B
2021 budget SURPLUS was $283M
Endowment is at $53.2B!
If they made 7% per year, the endowment alone would cover 65-70% of their expenses.

I think they are pretty well cushioned for economic hardship, wars, etc.

Googling ..

Operating expenses at Harvard are $5.4B
2021 budget SURPLUS was $283M
Endowment is at $53.2B!
If they made 7% per year, the endowment alone would cover 65-70% of their expenses.

I think they are pretty well cushioned for economic hardship, wars, etc.
Exactly. One of the things that make the out of control college costs so difficult to accept.

The capital projects they spend on are largely vanity based and unneeded, especially when compared to tuition control.

Reactions: 5 users
The endowments of many, many major institutions are orders of magnitude larger than would be necessary for that purpose.

The cynic in me thinks many of these places are now a hedge fund first, operating as a university second. Those endowments are MASSIVE.

Reactions: 7 users
The cynic in me thinks many of these places are now a hedge fund first, operating as a university second. Those endowments are MASSIVE.
Just like GM is a health insurance company that makes cars.

Reactions: 2 users