Wow, our OT forum is really quiet!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wantabeOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where are all the COTA/OTs and COTA/OTs wanta be??
Let's make some noise!! I'm a newbie so I'll ask some questions to start off :)

-COTA/OTs how did you prepare yourself to be in the field, applications process and such?
-How competitive is COTA/OT school? to get accepted and while in COTA/OT program?
-For current COTA/OTs or COTA/OT students, what do you find most challenging as a (future) COTA/OT?

-And lastly, my question, does anyone know any OT places (in Southern CA, Orange county) to volunteer? I've been having so much trouble just finding one. Hospital, they have so many volunteers that it's like applying for a job; orientation & interview for 10 volunteer positions in group of 70 volunteers! and Private OT clinic, the OTs are not around or difficult to get hold off. Man! i called like 15 places and still couldn't secure a place to volunteer. Why! it's free service/labor :) Sadly, I even called same place twice! how embarrassing!

ps. let's make this forum active again!! share your experience, frustrations or just to vent off (in this post :))

Members don't see this ad.

-COTA/OTs how did you prepare yourself to be in the field, applications process and such?
-How competitive is COTA/OT school? to get accepted and while in COTA/OT program?
-For current COTA/OTs or COTA/OT students, what do you find most challenging as a (future) COTA/OT?

-And lastly, my question, does anyone know any OT places (in Southern CA, Orange county) to volunteer? I've been having so much trouble just finding one. Hospital, they have so many volunteers that it's like applying for a job; orientation & interview for 10 volunteer positions in group of 70 volunteers! and Private OT clinic, the OTs are not around or difficult to get hold off. Man! i called like 15 places and still couldn't secure a place to volunteer. Why! it's free service/labor :) Sadly, I even called same place twice! how embarrassing!

ps. let's make this forum active again!! share your experience, frustrations or just to vent off (in this post :))

I see alot of people viewing this section, but not much action. I am a PT student, but my gf is doing OT, so I can probably answer some of your questions.

1. I think the OT school requirements are similar to PT, so in preparation for the application process you should do well in all your pre-req classes, get some solid GRE scores, letters of rec, and good amount of observation/volunteer/work hours. Preparing for school once you get in can be a different story. I would say review all of your anatomy/physio and other subjects that you will be taking first year.

2. I think that OT has gotten more competitive in the past 5-10 years. I also think that making it high on the "recession -proof job list" does not help either. I would say that subsequent years will become more competitive. You should be glad that your application process has not yet gone digital, so there will be a smaller applicant pool. For PT, we just went digital last year, so more people have been applying to more schools and competition has definitely gone up. It is going the same route as PA/Pharm/Nursing..etc...

3. I can't answer your last question as I am not a current OT/OTA student, but for PT I would say the first year or so is the hardest with all the didactic schooling. Once we start clinicals it should become a little less intensive. Once you finish school you shouldn't have any problems finding a job, but I would be worried about reimbursement and insurance from patients who use Medicare, etc.. since we do have budget problems.

4. I think that you are on the right track. You might just have to get out of the OC if you can't find anything there. I was lucky enough to find a PT aide job and work there for a year. I found plenty of volunteer opportunities at my local hospitals and I am in LA Country specifically the San Gabriel Valley. I had inpatient hours at Casa Colina Rehab Center and outpatient hours at Huntington Memorial in Pasadena. I would say keep calling and show up to these orientations and eventually you will find a place. I would say outpatient is a lot easier to observe than inpatient as the people working there are more lenient and relaxed.

Hope this helps. BTW, PTs rule!! J/K....

Stony Brook has a transitional BS/MS OT program for COTA's.

It's a weekend program.

A few courses are waived for COTA's.

There is a class going in next month, but that doesn't necessarily mean you are too late ... Do hurry, perhaps someone backed out at the last second.

To Wannabe OT:

Here's some needed corrections to your post so to upgrade your writing to a high-school level:

1 -The corrrect spelling of the slang word "wannabe" is like this - not "wanta be."
2 - It would be "ahold of" not "hold off."
3 - Should just be, "just to vent" not "to vent off."

Just a few suggestions for someone seeking to be health professional - good writing skills are also important - but, so lacking with OT types.