WoW...can this take any longer?!?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProXX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My applications have been complete since late September! I have a 3.6 cum gpa and 3.4 science gpa. Academic average of 16, bio=16, chem=16, orgo, 16, reading=15, qr=16, pat=18. I doubt my scores are good enough to get me in but I have been working as a dental assistant for a couple months now. I applied to UIC, SIU, NOVA, ARIZONA, MARQUETTE, NYU, UofM, IU, BAYLOR, UofF, OSU, HOWARD and have been already rejected by Iowa. Can anyone tell me what is the hold up with my apps because they have been complete for a looong time now?!?!!?!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, it could be your DAT scores - that is the only thing that stands out to me. Your gpa and related work experience are a real plus. Have you tried contacting the other dental schools to check the status of your application?

I have contacted all schools and the ones that I submited secondaries say that it is still being reviewed and other schools who dont have secondaries tell me to wait until I hear from them. Why am I waiting? Why haven't I been rejected yet? Iowa sent me a rejection letter in October! Marquette sent me a letter saying my app is on "hold." I don't know what the hold up is and I want to retake my DAT but I haven't started studying for it yet and by the time I do it might be too late to submit. What do I do?

Members don't see this ad :)
your GPA and work experiences are really good, but your DAT score is not good. Can you take your DAT again and send it to schools?

if you can't take your DAT again, then you should just wait for schools to contact you. TAKE YOUR DAT AGAIN!!

I was hoping to hear from schools sooner because I didn't want to re-take my dats (who wants to do that???) So I am trying to get away from re-taking them but it is taking too long to hear from all the schools. Do you guys think if I re-take them late Dec. I will have a better chance? Or is that too late and just chill and wait?

ProXX said:
I was hoping to hear from schools sooner because I didn't want to re-take my dats (who wants to do that???) So I am trying to get away from re-taking them but it is taking too long to hear from all the schools. Do you guys think if I re-take them late Dec. I will have a better chance? Or is that too late and just chill and wait?

If you are really serious about this cycle and really want to get in this year, then I think that what you should do is re-take the DAT in early to mid January. As ugly as it may sound, I would curl up with the Kaplan blue book and memorize that puppy day in and day out so as to give you the best possible chance of raising your scores. While it is a bit late for scores, retaking them in January shouldn't be detrimental and the extra time means that you'll have extra time to review and study too.

ProXX said:
I was hoping to hear from schools sooner because I didn't want to re-take my dats (who wants to do that???)
Who wants to do that??? - People want to get in wants to do that, don't let the DAT be the reason of not getting in, after being told to re-take it - and you didn't. :thumbdown:

Call the schools, and see what they think of your DAT scores... don't be surprised to get the same answer.

Good Luck

ProXX said:

ProXX,

First of all, I hope you get in somewhere.

I agree with the others that you DAT scores may be holding you back right now. But you have to keep in mind that even though December 1st maybe seemed like it took FOREVER to get here, it is only the first phase. Yourself along with maybe others out there were not the first choice of the schools you applied to. Most schools give 45 days or so to let their first choices decide. Then they send out the second wave of acceptance letters. This will be in mid to late January. Then again in Feb.

The reality is that for some, is that you may be waiting many months. People even get accepted in August, days before classes start when there are last minute drop outs.

My advice on your DAT is this. It really isn't going to help you that much to retake it later this month.

For
1) Since you are likely busy now with school or work you may not have time to study for the DAT.

2) And the bigger thing is that even if you do much better if you retake it in DEC. it MAY not make a big impact on this application cycle, because most of the acceptances have been sent out.

I would ride the score you have, and if by chance you are not accepted this year, retake them this summer, do better, and you will be in a much much better possition NEXT year from the beginning compaired to this year. Does that make sense?

Good luck

Sprgrover said:
Honestly, it could be your DAT scores - that is the only thing that stands out to me. Your gpa and related work experience are a real plus. Have you tried contacting the other dental schools to check the status of your application?

yeah, your dat scores are like a vampire.... they suck!

just kidding, they're not that bad, but there's a lot of room for improvement. Retake them!!!! And good luck to you!!

Retake the DAT, and do killer awesome. You'll be fine :)

and if u retook the DAT early next year and still didnt get in (possible) with good scores (19+) then you can apply with those scores next cycle. 16s wont cut it this year.

As far as your DAT scores go, they are nothing fabulous, but mine weren't in the 20's either. Have you been interviewed anywhere? I would see if you could contact some of the schools and ask what your standing is, and what they think about your DAT scores. I asked someone about mine, and was told NOT to re-take them because even though they were just "average" the rest of my application made up for it. There are a lot of schools that will hold you to a certain DAT score, but there are also some, that will look past it, and ask you about it on the interviews. I would definitely call before you make the decision to re-take it. I know how painful re-taking it can be! Best of Luck To You... If you ever want to talk.. e-mail or im me! I can sympathize. I studied so hard and was doing in the 20's on most of my sections(practicing) but the real day didn't come out as high! Keep a positive outlook.