Would you take Step 2 before residency programs could see it if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, but I scored a 235 and interested in Peds at a major academic center in California, UCLA, UCSF, or Stanford. I go to UCLA.

Should I take Step 2 so that programs should see it, or is this high enough of a score for peds, to not have to do that?

Thanks!,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
many programs have been burned by applicants that they interviewed without a step 2 score by not having that student be able to start the residency program because they failed step 2. As a result, many programs will not interview you without knowing for sure that you passed step 2.

You can apply, and you may get interviews, and you may match. On the other hand, you may not because there is no step 2 score.

many programs have been burned by applicants that they interviewed without a step 2 score by not having that student be able to start the residency program because they failed step 2. As a result, many programs will not interview you without knowing for sure that you passed step 2.

You can apply, and you may get interviews, and you may match. On the other hand, you may not because there is no step 2 score.
That's an interesting response. Many programs will want to see that you've passed step 2 before submitting their final rank list, but I doubt any peds program is gonna refuse to interview someone who's lacking a step 2 score at the time of initial application. My advice to the OP would be that, if you think you're going to do better on Step 2 and you're able to fit it in, then go for it. If not, then don't stress it.

thanks again for both of your opinions..if there are any more out there I would appreciate your two cents!

Really? I haven't heard of any programs refusing to give IV's b/c of no step 2