Would you Retake to Improve one sect. on the OAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikarichan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I recently took the OAT and scored better than I expected overall but not so great in organic chemistry. That has always been a very weak subject for me. My scores in QR, Reading Comp, Bio, Gen Chem, Organic Chem, and Phys were 360,390,390,360,280,350. My AA was 360 and TS 350. I really think Organic Chem is a serious black mark on my scores. Should I retake the OAT? I'm planning on applying this cycle and since I'm so weak in organic chem i'm not sure if I even could learn all there is to know in organic chem. Please help me! I'm not sure if Optometry schools would see my organic chem score and reject me out right.

I do have a few extracurriculars and have worked in several optometry and health related offices/environments including a private practice, a vision therapy office, and a state senate. Do you think these would make up for my weak organic score?

I don't know whether to feel good or bad about my exam grade. I would love to hear everyone's opinions! Many thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Great job on your scores! I think it would be best to call the admissions office at whichever schools you plan to apply to. Ask for their opinion to see if they think you should retake it or not. I would go ahead and apply with those scores and not retake it if I were you. You can always retake it before you matriculate if that's what a school asks you to do.