Would you put of PT school to save more money and rely less on loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NATO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you put off PT school in order to save more money for tuition costs? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

I hate my IT job/career and the PT profession is more aligned to my values. Currently, I am able to save at least $1,500/month (after taxes) each month. I will indeed be making less as a PT than what I currently make and I am okay with it. However, I need to decide if I should postponed yet another year of applying to PT school in order to save as much money as possible in order to pay most (if not all) of the a PT program tuition.

I had originally wanted to apply for this currently cycle; however, Life threw a curve ball (i.e. my parent become deathly ill), so I temporarily dropped my studies. Now that I'm back on track, I was going to apply to the next cycle that starts on July 1, 2012 and, hopefully, enter a PT program in the summer of 2013. Yet now I'm thinking is it better to wait for yet another year to build up my savings account. If I wait it out another year and encounter no financial emergencies, then I feel confident that I can pay 30K out of pocket for my PT tuition. I would hopefully (only?) have to take out a loan for my living costs for those 3 years.

The only CONs that I see in delaying PT school are: 1) the fact that I'll be stuck yet another year in a career/job that I absolutely hate and 2) the increase cost in tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

Aaaand I just realized that I posted a similar topic nearly a year ago. :laugh: My anxiety of the unknown is getting to me. Ignore this thread please.

Would you put off PT school in order to save more money for tuition costs? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

I hate my IT job/career and the PT profession is more aligned to my values. Currently, I am able to save at least $1,500/month (after taxes) each month. I will indeed be making less as a PT than what I currently make and I am okay with it. However, I need to decide if I should postponed yet another year of applying to PT school in order to save as much money as possible in order to pay most (if not all) of the a PT program tuition.

I had originally wanted to apply for this currently cycle; however, Life threw a curve ball (i.e. my parent become deathly ill), so I temporarily dropped my studies. Now that I'm back on track, I was going to apply to the next cycle that starts on July 1, 2012 and, hopefully, enter a PT program in the summer of 2013. Yet now I'm thinking is it better to wait for yet another year to build up my savings account. If I wait it out another year and encounter no financial emergencies, then I feel confident that I can pay 30K out of pocket for my PT tuition. I would hopefully (only?) have to take out a loan for my living costs for those 3 years.

The only CONs that I see in delaying PT school are: 1) the fact that I'll be stuck yet another year in a career/job that I absolutely hate and 2) the increase cost in tuition.

It would probably make more sense to go to PT school earlier than later from a monetary standpoint. Just live frugally and only loan what you need and focus on repayment after graduation.