Would you pick HPSP from AF even though no sign in bonus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Insigniadds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know your opinion about accepting the HPSP from the AF over the HPSP from Navy and Army, knowing that there is no $20,000 sign in bonus with the AF.
I personally would go for it, even though the sign in bonus is very tempting, and to be honest ,it would help me out so much in my first year of DS. This is based in the fact that I have AF as my top priority but I am also applying for Navy and Army, because I am trying to maximize my opportunities of getting this scholarship and be able to survive DS financially speaking but also because I really want to serve my country and have a very strong desire to make a career in the US armed forces.
Would you go for what you really want to go, or would you say that not getting $20,000 is a mistake by choosing AF over Navy and Army?
Any comments will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to know your opinion about accepting the HPSP from the AF over the HPSP from Navy and Army, knowing that there is no $20,000 sign in bonus with the AF.
I personally would go for it, even though the sign in bonus is very tempting, and to be honest ,it would help me out so much in my first year of DS. This is based in the fact that I have AF as my top priority but I am also applying for Navy and Army, because I am trying to maximize my opportunities of getting this scholarship and be able to survive DS financially speaking but also because I really want to serve my country and have a very strong desire to make a career in the US armed forces.
Would you go for what you really want to go, or would you say that not getting $20,000 is a mistake by choosing AF over Navy and Army?
Any comments will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
If you are starting school next fall your options on what service to join may be limited. Scholarships have already begun to be given out in the Army - other services may be the same. If that is the case you may not have many options.

$20K after the taxes will be $15K. $15K is a lot of money to give up IMHO. I always thought Navy had the best locations. AF sounds like they have the best lifestyle among the branches. I didn't know AF didn't provide the bonus.

Good luck! You should be hearing soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you applied to all 3 it really might just come down to who gets back to you first. That's what happened to me and I am actually very glad it worked out that way because it made my decision sooo much easier, lol, and I didn't feel like a jerk telling the other recruiters who have worked with me for months now that I was choosing another branch, because I had to choose the other branch because they got back to me first. Typically you don't have the luxury of holding onto an offer for more than a week or two before they give it to someone else. In all honesty, the feel that I get is that in any branch we'll be going in as officers, not as enlisted, and it's only 4 years, not a lifetime unless we want to. I don't think there will be a gigantic difference between being an officer in the army for 4 years vs being an officers in the air force for 4 years. But anyone who actually has experience in the military can correct me if I'm wrong.

Frd88 you're right. I applied to all 3 branches and I'm pretty much in the same way of thinking as you were. I have a couple of months to start DS and I do not want to be playing around with any branch. They all deserve respect and I'm pretty sure that wherever I'll go it'll be a great experience because that in big part will depend on me and my attitude at the time.
I'll cross my fingers to get in there just as much as I did to enter DS and thank God that first dream became true..now let's keep the faith for the second one. Thanks for your posts!

Thanks HeyCharlie. Yes the AF is the only branch that does not offer the 20 K sign in bonus.