General Admissions & OTCAS Would you explore low-ranked schools if accepted into a high-ranked school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurlyHairedGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the US News rankings are based largely on how on professors view other schools. So schools that do a lot of research, are larger, and have been around for a while would tend to be ranked higher.

This is my second year trying to get into schools, so I cast a wide net and applied to a lot of schools through OTCAS. I got into a school that is ranked just barely in the top 20% according to the 2012 US News rankings. It fits the model of an older, larger, research-oriented school. Research is good, large class size is not, according to my personal leanings. The people at the school seemed nice when I was there for the interview.

Its also twice the cost of the very cheap in-state school with a late deadline I haven't applied to yet.

There are a couple non-OTCAS schools that I was still planning on applying to. But that takes up time. An interview at a low-ranked school takes time when I have to spend a full day driving there and a full day going back.

My admission to the school was contingent on retaking a class that was outside the time limit. I tried to take an in-person class, but it got canceled. So I am taking a self-paced online class that is designed to be difficult, but that I expect to be easier because of my background. However, I have to get it done by June 1 which will be a stretch because some of the stuff has to be sent back and forth by postal mail. They don't recommend taking the class in the compressed timeframe that I need to finish it in.

I'm also doing two personal enrichment classes and a lot of home fixing up for sale. Anybody know how to fix leaky gutters on a three story townhouse? That might ruin the flowerbed I'm putting in for curb appeal.

Should I give up on applying to the other schools and just focus on getting the stuff done that I need to do? Cancel the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you been accepted into any other schools yet or have any you might possibly still hear from? Also, are you still planning on applying to the in-state school this cycle?

it sounds like this will depend on how quickly you want to begin your OT program. it sounds like you have already put a lot of work into making your acceptance into this program pan out what with taking the extra class...why not run with it? unless cost is a significant factor for you and you feel confident you can get accepted into the state program. although i've stated in other forums that rankings shouldn't necessarily matter in my opinion, your time and effort i think do matter. do you want to continue to put money and effort into the application process? it may be worth it to you if you think you can get into a cheaper school that is a better fit for you. but it may not be worth it to you if you can instead focus your time, effort, and money into actually beginning your master's program. however, that is only something you can decide. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a difficult choice! From the research I've done and after to talking to a couple of current OTs it seems like your fieldworks/experience are more important than the name of the school you went to, assuming it's accredited. Personally, I would also check the NBCOT pass rate, it shows how well the program prepares you for the certification exam. That seems like a lot of work ahead though, best of luck w the decision!

I went to the low-ranked school and found that the faculty and program seemed much more approachable. The classes might be a little less rigorous, but as far as maintaining my physical and psychological health, that's a good thing. Tuition is slightly lower.