Would winning ASH awards in med school help when it comes time for fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forsparta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have the option of joining a Heme/onc lab where many past winners won the ASH trainee research award and the abstract achievement awards. The P.I. thinks I would have a good shot at getting one of these.

I am probably going to join the lab but was wondering if I was to get one of these would it at all make any difference come fellowship time or no?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
One per institution, or more than one with the grant money split between the grantees. In practice, usually only one gets it. The heme fellowship director at your institution decides.

Hey,

I have the option of joining a Heme/onc lab where many past winners won the ASH trainee research award and the abstract achievement awards. The P.I. thinks I would have a good shot at getting one of these.

I am probably going to join the lab but was wondering if I was to get one of these would it at all make any difference come fellowship time or no?

As a current fellowship applicant and a former ASH Trainee Awards winner, I can shed some light on this :)

I don't think it weighs heavily on whether or not you get an interview, but when it comes up in the interview, it is definitely looked upon favorably, sort of a first sign that you're someone capable of getting funding. If nothing else, you get money to probably spend to some degree as you please as well as they chance to go to the ASH annual meeting for essentially free, which is a great experience. Feel free to message me for more details PRN.