When's the right time to start hunting for a job after fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CluvK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a 2nd-year fellow looking to land a community hem/onc job. My fellow seniors mentioned that they usually started their job search around the middle of their 2nd year. However, some recruiters, particularly from CA and NC, have been saying it's too early. Just wondering about the usual job application timeline.

Also, where should I kick off my search? I'm mainly using PracticeLink and feel that ASCO/NEJM is a bit too academically focused. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Would like to piggyback onto this question and broaden out to also for academic clinical investigator jobs.

For timing, I kind of agree with the recruiters, early 2nd year is too soon to be applying to positions, but not too soon to start reaching out and making contacts. Somebody with a job listing needs somebody now, not August 2025...but they might also need someone in August 2025.

For the how and where, pick a location or 3, use your Google-Fu to identify the groups or academic opportunities in the area and start sending emails.

Reactions: 1 user