Would this raise a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biolover88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am puerto rican, I speak fluent spanish and was raised to embrace the cultural values. I am writing my personal statement and the central theme is based on of course "why I want to be a doctor'' which has a lot to do with experiences I have encountered growing up, because of my naionality. I don't want to seem as if I'm trying to get in the door based solely on who I identify with. Does this seem like a good idea for my essay? I'd appreciate some input, please and thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't raise a red flag; it'd raise a Puerto Rican flag! :)

There's nothing wrong with cultural references in your PS. Just remember that the purpose of the statement is to show your motivation toward a career in medicine. As long as you can do that and as long as it's well-written you'll be fine. You would not be the first culturally diverse person to make such references in your statement.

Contrary to what some may believe, one does not enter this particular door based on your racial identity or by those whom you racially identify.

IMO, culturally-related topics are best left to secondary essays -- not one's personal statement. However, go with your gut on what you think would best fit your application. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am puerto rican, I speak fluent spanish and was raised to embrace the cultural values. I am writing my personal statement and the central theme is based on of course "why I want to be a doctor'' which has a lot to do with experiences I have encountered growing up, because of my naionality. I don't want to seem as if I'm trying to get in the door based solely on who I identify with. Does this seem like a good idea for my essay? I'd appreciate some input, please and thank you!!
Yes you should mention this stuff. However, avoid making your nationality a merit and instead explain how your background has made you who you are today.

Heed the advice posted. And go for it! Make sure you have someone review your essay.