Any Advise would be greatly appreciated !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NGMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I am an Black pre-med at a top 20 undergrad institution. I really worried my GPA is too low for MD schools, currently at a 3.4. I am taking the MCAT in January but from my practice tests I think I have been getting better, I currently score in the high 510's consistently on the practice tests. I have varied research experience over the past two years and several hours of volunteering. I have plans to shadow some physicians at my schools hospital and med school next semester. I went to my pre med advisor and i was told my GPA might be too low and I should consider a post bacc, I however cannot afford to do a post bacc and even though I have a US passport, my family does not live here so my living costs are considerably high. What do you guys think i should do.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply. To get a score that high on the practice MCATs is something good, and if you score as well on the actual MCAT, it will show to admissions that you know the material well enough. If a school offers an interview, you can explain why some grades are bad, and how you learned from that experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Lucca and @WhyNeedAName What kind of schools should I be looking at?

Can't really say without an MCAT score! For now, keep up the good work and focus on getting a strong MCAT score. Once you have that, we can give you better advice. If you score above 515 and have put in the time with your ECs then sky's the limit.

Reactions: 1 user