Would this mean I couldn't be a surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baaaark

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have somewhat shaky hands sometimes. I don't have any blood sugar or anxiety issues, I just have a natural shake to my hand. Given the nature of surgery, I figure that would rule me out of being able to operate on others. But, I wanted to ask some people here if this is a death sentence to my possible surgical career or not.

I'm really not all that excited about becoming a surgeon, but I'd still like to know if the option is open with my somewhat shaky hands.

Members don't see this ad.

Provided it's not "Michael J. Fox Shaky", you should be ok. I know an ENT that has unsteady hands and takes a Rx to allow him to operate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that cardio thoracic surgeons are using new machines for minimal invasive surgery and that machine minimized the hand tremor of the surgeon. I wouldn't become a surgeon taking pills for surgery.

I recently learned how to solder, and it freaked me out at first because I couldn't hold the soldering iron still against the joint. My first thought was "well, I can forget about surgery."

Really, I was just nervous about ruining the components because I had never done any fine soldering before. After 2-3 joints my hand was steady as a rock.

Of course, I can't imagine how shaky I might be the first time I perform surgery. Did any surgeons have trouble their first time performing in the OR, or is it such a gradual process that such bumps are smoothed out along the way?