Would the adcom know that I am a reapplicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tofoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to 8 new schools this year, and I wanted to know if the adcom at thoes schools would know if I applied last year to other schools. This is a concern to me because if I did not get in last year, they would try to second guess my application on why I didn't get in last year.

Let me know what you guys know about this.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, AMCAS reports that you are reapplicant. Don't worry about what they may wonder about. Presumably you yourself had to answer the question of why you didn't get in last year, and made some changes to improve your chances this year. If it comes up in interviews, you'll have something intelligent to say about it. Schools you did not apply to will not have access to last year's application, and I seriously doubt they have time to try to guess what might have been on it.

Lots of people don't get in the first time.

I don't think that AMCAS reprts that you are a reapplicant. Was that somewhere on the application? If so, I don't remember it.

If you apply to a school you have applied to before, they will know because they ask on their secondaries if you have ever applied to their school and if so what have you done since you last applied.

Schools do not care if you have applied before. Don't worry about it. They know people have to reapply eavery year. But I don't think they know unless you tell them and it more than likely will not come up. I was never asked in any interview if I had applied before.

Members don't see this ad :)
samenewme,

Thanks for your input. I have made those changes. I have made those improvements, so I should be OK.

Amy,

I will not stress over it. Thanks for your encouragement.

Somewhere near the bottom of AMCAS is a list of schools you are applying to and what years you applied to them. In my case it looks kind of bad, because I filled out and sent the AMCAS during college and THEN decided I wasn't ready. Even though I never filled any secondaries out, it still looks like I've applied 3 times.

Whether or not a particular med school thinks this is relevant is a totally separate issue. Harvard clearly says to give up after the second time. Others say try, try again.

-X

Amy B said:
I don't think that AMCAS reprts that you are a reapplicant. Was that somewhere on the application? If so, I don't remember it.