Would private practices hire nontraditional students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChienYi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I entered medical school at 34, and am interested in matching into radiology residency. However, I am a bit concerned about my age when I complete. I will be close to 45. How do private practices in radiology look at older applicants who have just completed their medical training? How hard is it to get a job as a nontraditional medical student? Any advice on how to make myself a competitive candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not entering medical school yet, but have thought about that same question. I will be around 32-33 when I apply to med school and I figure around 41-42 when I finish residency/possible fellowship.

From some physicians I have talked to in different specialties they don't see why not. They are owners in the practices I have talked to and say they don't judge based on age as much as how well you did during residency/fellowship :thumbup:

Sounded good to me :D

I know of a few people who were "non traditional" and had no problems. In the private practice world, they care less about when you started or where you trained, just as long as you are a hard worker and do your job well -- these sentiments carry over from your training programs since those are the people potential employers will be calling to find out about you.

If you can throw down like the rest of the kiddies, network a bit as a resident/fellow, and you're a good person to work with, you'll be fine.

Best of luck.