IR Private Practice Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi folks, just wondering if some of the IR's here could illuminate how the IR PP job hunting/recruiting works. What are the essential components that are looked for when hiring candidates at competitive practices: prestige/renown of training site, case logs, letters of recommendation, personal connections, connections of your attending, etc? Does going the integrated-IR vs independent-IR pathway make a difference? Just wanted to start getting a better idea of how this process works.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi folks, just wondering if some of the IR's here could illuminate how the IR PP job hunting/recruiting works. What are the essential components that are looked for when hiring candidates at competitive practices: prestige/renown of training site, case logs, letters of recommendation, personal connections, connections of your attending, etc? Does going the integrated-IR vs independent-IR pathway make a difference? Just wanted to start getting a better idea of how this process works.
It depends on if you are joining a conventional DR practice where you just need to do "light" IR Biopsy,lines drains and emergency procedures such as cholecystostomy, nephrostomy, GI lbeeders etc.

They want someone with versatility and a fast reader who can be the "in house" radiologist and can help with the list, protocoling, arthrograms, LP, myelograms. The IR is sometimes just needed to maintain the "hospital contracts".

For any job networking and who you know always matter

If you are looking to develop a 100 pct VIR practice with clinics you need to be comfortable running a busy VIR clinic, marketing yourself to get referrals and comprehensively managing the disease and competing for referrals. So, make sure you get service line training including clinic time, non operative management where you are managing with pharmacologic and nonoperative options as needed. PAD (cilostazol/exercise for claudicants). statins, ace-i, antiplt, anticoagulant(compass/voyager) DM management.

This includes 1) PAD/CLI 2) BPH and PAE 3) Knee pain and GAE 4) Fibroids and UAE 5) Venous disease / Varicose veins/DVT/PE /IVC filter retrieval and placements 6) Pain palliative and spine (kyphoplasty/spinejack/rhizotomy/ cryoneurolysis etc).

Here procedural case logs on type of service line and complexity will be very helpful

Reactions: 1 user
PAE, UAE and GAE have very limited indications and are extremely low volume. An IR doc can make more money by reading daily portable CXRs than doing these 3 procedure altogether.

Members don't see this ad :)
PAE, UAE and GAE have very limited indications and are extremely low volume. An IR doc can make more money by reading daily portable CXRs than doing these 3 procedure altogether.
Buddy there are IR guys who established practice in single municipal areas whose entire days are filled with these procedures, booked weeks to months out.

I feel like I keep seeing you show up acting like you know what you’re talking about, when you don’t.

Buddy there are IR guys who established practice in single municipal areas whose entire days are filled with these procedures, booked weeks to months out.

I feel like I keep seeing you show up acting like you know what you’re talking about, when you don’t.

Look at national number of these procedures. It should be available on CMS tables.

Look at the volume of these procedures at academic places.

What people say is very different than realities.

I personally know at least 4-5 physicians who swear that radiologists typically make 1.5-2 million a year.

Look at national number of these procedures. It should be available on CMS tables.

Look at the volume of these procedures at academic places.

What people say is very different than realities.

I personally know at least 4-5 physicians who swear that radiologists typically make 1.5-2 million a year.
Most IRs do not practice develop. It is not genius to observe that if you don’t do anything nothing happens.

Most IRs do not practice develop. It is not genius to observe that if you don’t do anything nothing happens.

I know. 95% of IRs have been practicing it wrong in the last 30 years or so.

I know. 95% of IRs have been practicing it wrong in the last 30 years or so.

Its' a challenge though with turf wars where other specialties control access to pts. Hospitals will also tend to side with them since the same physicians control admissions/OR time etc

To the OP, if you join anything less than a large PP, you will likely be doing a significant amount of diagnostic work. The trade off (at least in my practice) is that overall your total wRVUs maybe around 10-20% lower than a pure diagnostic rad but will get the same quarterly bonus, as well as compensation for call coverage

Reactions: 1 users