Would neuroscience and a minor be too much to handle?

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of majoring in Neuroscience and minoring in Chinese. Would this be too much to handle? I think I might start with just the major and add on the minor if I think I can do it. I might need to take summer classes which would be okay as long as it doesn't conflict with volunteering, family, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking of majoring in Neuroscience and minoring in Chinese. Would this be too much to handle? I think I might start with just the major and add on the minor if I think I can do it. I might need to take summer classes which would be okay as long as it doesn't conflict with volunteering, family, etc.

You definitely don't want to take summer classes unless you HAVE to. Spend the time during the summer to volunteer, research, shadow, MCAT, etc. Don't waste it trying to get a minor in Chinese. Talk to your adviser and figure out a plan on how you can do both. They might have a better way. Otherwise, simply take the Chinese courses without going for a minor in it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Not at all. I think most people have minors.

You definitely don't want to take summer classes unless you HAVE to. Spend the time during the summer to volunteer, research, shadow, MCAT, etc. Don't waste it trying to get a minor in Chinese. Talk to your adviser and figure out a plan on how you can do both. They might have a better way. Otherwise, simply take the Chinese courses without going for a minor in it.

There's nothing wrong with taking summer courses. I took summer courses along with doing research full time/tutoring/TAing. Also, a minor in something not related to science is probably a good thing since most medical schools are looking for diversity in their student body. A minor in Chinese sounds awesome. What sounds even better is having a minor in Chinese because you are volunteering in a neighborhood where there are predominantly Chinese non-English speakers and you help translate-another avenue, if possible, would be to do a semester abroad in China; this could show the adcom's that you have traveled and are well cultured. There are a myriad of different possibilities and each person has to find their own way.

The only way it is considered bad, by some schools, to take summer classes is if you are using the summer to fulfill pre-req science courses. Some schools recommend against taking courses like organic chemistry in the summer but some don't care. I did it and I have been accepted to multiple schools. Good luck.

Not at all. I think most people have minors.

Most don't, actually. And med schools don't put any weight on them. So its just something you are doing for yourself -- it has no import. If the goal is med school, a single major, something you are interested in and not known to destroy GPAs, along with the prereqs is all you need. The single major in fine arts or dance who just takes the prereqs and ends up with a 3.7 always gets into med school over the neuroscience major/Chinese minor who ends up with a 3.3.

Maybe I could learn Chinese on my own, and then volunteer in rural China or something over the summer. That way I could learn and volunteer at the same time.

- Minor doesn't matter unless you're genuinely interested. Don't do it because you think it'll look good for med schools
- Neuroscience is doable but may be more difficult depending on your undergraduate institution - some more demanding than others.

Any neuroscience major + minor combination that you care to ask about is going to get the same answer.

Well, technically he doesn't even need to do Neuroscience. He can pick any major and as long as he gets a great GPA, he'll be fine.