Would MCAT prepare you for the OAT?

slee416

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask is because I plan to take both and wondering if I could kill the proverbial two birds with one stone by taking the Kaplan MCAT prep course.

Members don't see this ad.

The reason I ask is because I plan to take both and wondering if I could kill the proverbial two birds with one stone by taking the Kaplan MCAT prep course.

Ehh...essentially, yes...the information is all the same, but the MCAT goes into wayyyyy more detail than what is seen on the OAT. Also, we have a Quantitative Reasoning section that the MCAT does not have.

Good luck.

I suggest studying for the mcat first, write it, then write the OAT. I just did that same thing this year. OAT does have some slight differences and has a quantitative reasoning section which is completely diff from the mcat. So you need to master that. Its all math. The bio section on the OAT has plant/ecology/evolution/classification whcih I am pretty sure is not on the mcat. Rest I believe is the same. Theres also no essay on the OAT.

Overall, I found the OAT to be generally easier then the mcat, but the big difference I found was with the reading comprehension section. The reading comp. on the OAT was considerably easier then the mcat verbal section.

best of luck

Slee416,

I have actually taught both courses for the last year and a half and have taken both. One of the major things to keep in mind is that the two tests are in very different formats. The MCAT with passage based testing is a whole different animal then the OAT. As mentioned above in regards to content parts are very similar. Remember there is no writing section on the OAT and the quantitative reasoning does give some students trouble because they run out of time. Studying for the MCAT will definitely help you overall for the OAT. Hope this helps!

Pat