Would it still be possible to hit 235+?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhu1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if your average was around 50% on UW but you have studied your ass off and felt like you know ur stuff , do you guys think it would still be possible to hit 235+ ?

NBME 1 : 200

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should learn a lot by taking those practice questions. I'd even go so far as to say that studying the questions you missed (and the ones you answered correctly) may be the best way to make a difference in your score since you will be more likely to know it after taking the time and agonizing over the answer choices when you first answered those questions. I can say I remember details from practice questions far better than I do by reading them in FA or other sources (with the exception of the best audio files around...he's always like a voice inside my head when I'm answering questions).

Plus you'll see a good number of those questions again ;).

Honestly, 50% is very weak. I'd be worrying about passing - but if you're pre-med it is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes it's possible! thinking positive is one of the best ways to increase your score at this point.

Honestly, 50% is very weak. I'd be worrying about passing - but if you're pre-med it is good.

There is always an SDN d-bag... :mad:

As for your question, I am around 55% right now and I scored a 200 in the Basic Science Comprehensivem without studying. I have 88% left for U World and I believe it is possible to hit 230 and above. We have to stay focused in our goals. I know we can make it.

There is always an SDN d-bag... :mad:

As for your question, I am around 55% right now and I scored a 200 in the Basic Science Comprehensivem without studying. I have 88% left for U World and I believe it is possible to hit 230 and above. We have to stay focused in our goals. I know we can make it.
Excuse me? His status says Pre-med and I think 50% avg is good for someone who hasn't even started med school?

Your reading comprehension tells me you'll never reach 230+.

Excuse me? His status says Pre-med and I think 50% avg is good for someone who hasn't even started med school?

You have to be really naive to think that someone who is Pre-Med is doing USMLE World questions. I have enough comprehensive skills to identify where sarcasm comes from in SDN; I see it a lot in these forums and its actually quite irritating.However,in real life as doctors we have to deal with these kind of crappy people too.

You have to be really naive to think that someone who is Pre-Med is doing USMLE World questions. I have enough comprehensive skills to identify where sarcasm comes from in SDN; I see it a lot in these forums and its actually quite irritating.However,in real life as doctors we have to deal with these kind of crappy people too.
The pre-meds along with the republicans of this forum has a history of being ******ed so it wouldn't surprise me. I just stated my honest opinion that 50% average on USMLEworld is a really crappy average - and it is. Should I say it is good risking a very disappointed OP who thought he would get 230+ when his Uworld average clearly showed he was not prepared?

Yeah, so does mine but that doesn't make it so. I just have far better things to do than update my profile since I started using SDN (which dates back to when I was still a pre-med).

But if you're the type of person who gratifies yourself by bringing attention to instances when people on the internet are in too big a hurry to check their grammar, punctuation, spelling, profile accuracy, etc., please allow me to help you gratify yourself by giving you these quotes so you can correct them for me:

"I done walked to the store"
"I axed my brother what he wants for his birthday"
"I'm still pre-med" (no I'm not, I'm starting my 3rd year of medical school in a month)

Also feel free to make corrections in any of my posts. I really want to help you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, so does mine but that doesn't make it so. I just have far better things to do than update my profile since I started using SDN (which dates back to when I was still a pre-med).

But if you're the type of person who gratifies yourself by bringing attention to instances when people on the internet are in too big a hurry to check their grammar, punctuation, spelling, profile accuracy, etc., please allow me to help you gratify yourself by giving you these quotes so you can correct them for me:

"I'm still pre-med" (no I'm not, I'm starting my 3rd year of medical school in a month)

Also feel free to make corrections in any of my posts. I really want to help you out.
I'll assume the OP is a pre-med until he clarifies and give him appropriate feedback. If he is a pre-med averaging 50% there is a great chance he will break 235+ in the next two years. If he is taking the exam tomorrow he won't.

I'll take a shot at it... Is that second line supposed to say "birfday"?

The pre-meds along with the republicans of this forum has a history of being ******ed so it wouldn't surprise me. I just stated my honest opinion that 50% average on USMLEworld is a really crappy average - and it is. Should I say it is good risking a very disappointed OP who thought he would get 230+ when his Uworld average clearly showed he was not prepared?

Provocations so trollish, yet so unentertaining. One more for the "Ignore" list.

If you keep plugging at it, sure.

I had a "light switch" day in UWorld. I don't know what happened, but my scores went from wildly fluctuating (with around a 55% average) to above 75% and stuck there.

My cumulative UW ended up still in the 50's because of how erratic I was in the beginning. But my NBME is now projecting above 230.

n=1, I guess.

Depends on how much time you got left to study, but your score on UWorld Qbank is irrelevant as long as you learn something from doing those questions. Keep studying/working hard and you can do it. :thumbup:

Hey guys...

That kitten....

ITS A TRAP! HE'S ACTUALLY A JERK! :laugh:

I don't think there was anything that out of line about what
psychforme said. I think because he was being totally honest
and added a little bit of humor into the same line it got people
all flustered.

No sweetheart I am not Pre-med ... I just haven't changed the stat ... its ridiculus if you believe a premed can hit 50% or up or even will be allowed to take this exam!

No sweetheart I am not Pre-med ... I just haven't changed the stat ... its ridiculus if you believe a premed can hit 50% or up or even will be allowed to take this exam!

Thank you! Well, let me stick to the purpose of this thread. It all depends what kind of strategy you are using for USMLE World. 50 % may reflect someone who is studying for Pathology and is doing random questions blocks, timed and gets many questions from subjects he has not studied ( or that he feels weak). Your average is most likely to go down. However, as time passes by you are supposed to be increasing your score as you have more "review knowledge". For example in my case, I am studying by systems but before my core USMLE studying I started with 1 week of pure physiology. When I did blocks of Physiology on Uworld my average was in the low 50's. As I started going through systems my score was improving because my strongest subject is Pathology. This means that my score is improving proportional to what I study. I am still in the high 50's but my test is in July 24. In addition, I am using USMLE world more as a learning material than assesment (for this, I have USMLE WORLD full tests, and NBME's). I wish you the best of luck and remember that you are not alone on this one.:luck:

Thank you! Well, let me stick to the purpose of this thread. It all depends what kind of strategy you are using for USMLE World. 50 % may reflect someone who is studying for Pathology and is doing random questions blocks, timed and gets many questions from subjects he has not studied ( or that he feels weak). Your average is most likely to go down. However, as time passes by you are supposed to be increasing your score as you have more "review knowledge". For example in my case, I am studying by systems but before my core USMLE studying I started with 1 week of pure physiology. When I did blocks of Physiology on Uworld my average was in the low 50's. As I started going through systems my score was improving because my strongest subject is Pathology. This means that my score is improving proportional to what I study. I am still in the high 50's but my test is in July 24. In addition, I am using USMLE world more as a learning material than assesment (for this, I have USMLE WORLD full tests, and NBME's). I wish you the best of luck and remember that you are not alone on this one.:luck:

Thanks buddy, I really appreciate the feedback :) Best of luck on your studies :)

To the OP, the honest answer to your question is NO WAY! If you were hitting 60% and feeling confident, noticing stupid mistakes, then you'd have a chance at 222, not 235.

To the OP, the honest answer to your question is NO WAY! If you were hitting 60% and feeling confident, noticing stupid mistakes, then you'd have a chance at 222, not 235.

You want to tell us how you came up with this briliant formula?

To the OP: I think that you definitely have a shot. I've been getting ass raped by UWorld, around 56% overall, and scored 225 on NBME 5 with 16 days of study time left. So you and I are pretty much in the same boat, except I don't feel like I know anything. I think that it would definitely be feasible for me to raise my score by 10 points in 2 weeks, particularly considering that I haven't covered any of the organ systems yet.

It shouldn't matter if you get the question right the first or second time, it only matters if you get it right the NEXT time (test day).

Don't let your UWorld average scare you. Plus, people go back and correct their missed questions inflating the scores.

Keep focused on studying and hard work will always pay off.

You want to tell us how you came up with this briliant formula?

To the OP: I think that you definitely have a shot. I've been getting ass raped by UWorld, around 56% overall, and scored 225 on NBME 5 with 16 days of study time left. So you and I are pretty much in the same boat, except I don't feel like I know anything. I think that it would definitely be feasible for me to raise my score by 10 points in 2 weeks, particularly considering that I haven't covered any of the organ systems yet.

You and the OP are not getting the same UWorld scores--you're at 56% and pulling in 225 on NBME which is in line with my prediction of hitting the Step 1 mean of 222 (I didn't use a "briliant" formula, just careful reasoning). The OP is averaging 50% in UWorld--that's an indication the the OP is deficient in half of the concepts in UW. Continuing to read FA, doing more and more practice questions, listening to Goljan--these are key to bringing up the numbers. The numbers don't lie and false hope won't help. If you're having trouble just getting 50% correct, things won't magically improve during the actual Step 1 examination.

You and the OP are not getting the same UWorld scores--you're at 56% and pulling in 225 on NBME which is in line with my prediction of hitting the Step 1 mean of 222 (I didn't use a "briliant" formula, just careful reasoning). The OP is averaging 50% in UWorld--that's an indication the the OP is deficient in half of the concepts in UW. Continuing to read FA, doing more and more practice questions, listening to Goljan--these are key to bringing up the numbers. The numbers don't lie and false hope won't help. If you're having trouble just getting 50% correct, things won't magically improve during the actual Step 1 examination.

UWorld is not meant to be used as a predictor for how well you're going to do on the boards-- it is meant to be used as a learning tool. If the OP started using UWorld before he/she even started studying for the boards/looking at FA and was taking all the questions on random timed mode, then his score is going to be way lower than someone who had started studying, was doing questions on the qbank that were specific to the subject they had just studied and using it on an untimed/tutor mode.

Not everyone uses this question bank in the same method-- it distorts the averages. Saying that someone is "deficient" in half the concepts in UW is kind of insane, particularly considering the complexity of some of those questions.

If he really wants a predictor on how well he is going to do on the exam, I agree with the prior poster who stated that he should take a practice NBME or two and see how he does. Those are real exams that are scaled and tend to be the most accurate predictors.

UWorld is not meant to be used as a predictor for how well you're going to do on the boards-- it is meant to be used as a learning tool. If the OP started using UWorld before he/she even started studying for the boards/looking at FA and was taking all the questions on random timed mode, then his score is going to be way lower than someone who had started studying, was doing questions on the qbank that were specific to the subject they had just studied and using it on an untimed/tutor mode.

Not everyone uses this question bank in the same method-- it distorts the averages. Saying that someone is "deficient" in half the concepts in UW is kind of insane, particularly considering the complexity of some of those questions.

If he really wants a predictor on how well he is going to do on the exam, I agree with the prior poster who stated that he should take a practice NBME or two and see how he does. Those are real exams that are scaled and tend to be the most accurate predictors.

It looks like silas really wants to have the last word. Fine with me. In any case, when you look through the thread, the only information the OP has given is that he has an average of 50% in UW. Thus, it's not "insane" to say that he's deficient in half of the concepts in UW. He may very well be studying his ass off, but what does that mean? If he's reading embryology because he hates it and sucks at it and he's memorizing the vaccination schedule, then he's not going to meet that 235 goal. It is true that he would get a more accurate reflection of where he stands by taking an nbme--any one of 'em will do. Then, he would know if he has learned the other half of the content that UW indicates he's missing. Silas, just cool it; I have no interest in picking a fight with you. This is about helping other people. It does no one any good to offer false hope. Yes, everyone should aim for the stars; but, with less than two weeks left, it's important to see improvement in numbers, either in UW or nbme. To the OP, forget this poll. Take an nbme. Report back if you need more advice.

It looks like silas really wants to have the last word. Fine with me. In any case, when you look through the thread, the only information the OP has given is that he has an average of 50% in UW. Thus, it's not "insane" to say that he's deficient in half of the concepts in UW. He may very well be studying his ass off, but what does that mean? If he's reading embryology because he hates it and sucks at it and he's memorizing the vaccination schedule, then he's not going to meet that 235 goal. It is true that he would get a more accurate reflection of where he stands by taking an nbme--any one of 'em will do. Then, he would know if he has learned the other half of the content that UW indicates he's missing. Silas, just cool it; I have no interest in picking a fight with you. This is about helping other people. It does no one any good to offer false hope. Yes, everyone should aim for the stars; but, with less than two weeks left, it's important to see improvement in numbers, either in UW or nbme. To the OP, forget this poll. Take an nbme. Report back if you need more advice.

Took NBME 1 ... scored equivalent of 200 ... damn need extra 35 points ... 4 weeks to go!

Dude, give politics a break. No one cares about your views on Republicans. Your assessment of Republicans is as pathetic as common European sentiment that all Americans are dumb. There are plenty of Republicans that are smarter than you. I'm not even a Republican, but this is not a forum for political dialogue, so keep your opinions to yourself. Thanks.

Dude, give politics a break. No one cares about your views on Republicans.
but it's true

Your assessment of Republicans is as pathetic as common European sentiment that all Americans are dumb.
Sometimes, I think that european sentiment is pretty spot on. I'm considering adopting a french accent to sound more Ácàdêmiqué. :cool: And my sentiment on repubs def is spot on!

but it's true

Sometimes, I think that european sentiment is pretty spot on. I'm considering adopting a french accent to sound more Ácàdêmiqué. :cool: And my sentiment on repubs def is spot on!

Lol, ok, might I suggest not working in the US then. Unless, you're in one of the few areas of the country where Americans hate their own. Or you might just want to be quiet about this sentiment. Otherwise, you will run into plenty of Americans like me that will vehemently voice their disapproval of broad-stroke American bashing.

Lol, ok, might I suggest not working in the US then. Unless, you're in one of the few areas of the country where Americans hate their own. Or you might just want to be quiet about this sentiment. Otherwise, you will run into plenty of Americans like me that will vehemently voice their disapproval of broad-stroke American bashing.

Psychforme.... in your face?:laugh:

I like how people get all tough on an "anonymous" internet forum.....:laugh:

if your average was around 50% on UW but you have studied your ass off and felt like you know ur stuff , do you guys think it would still be possible to hit 235+ ?

NBME 1 : 200

If your overall average is 50%, then probably no. But if you have been consistently getting 60 or 70% on recent tests, then I think that you have a good chance of getting close.

Obviously your NBME practice score is the best indicator of where you really stand.

50% is weak for a student who has attended medical school for 2 years

I don't know if 50% is necessarily "weak" in UW. It predicts a score well above passing. Not good if you're shooting for 95+ though.

That completely depends upon how you used UWorld. My 1st pass thru it I made a 53%, but I used it as a learning tool. Personally, I think using it solely for the sake of predicting your score is foolish because there is so much to learn from the program. UW = learning tool . NBME = assessment tool. At least that's how I see it. So to say just because someone made a 50% doesn't mean that can't score high on the true exam is not true. But given a score of 200 on the NBME doesn't bode well, but again, that also depends on when you took that. Ive seen people on here increase their score 20-30 points within the first 2-3 weeks of studying.