Would it be worth the investment to get a tablet for clinical rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blacklighttiger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I hope this is the right forum to post this question. I'm wrapping up my 2nd year at WesternU VetMed with my 3rd year beginning our clinical rotations. I've been considering the idea of getting a portable tablet with pen capabilities to take with me while I travel instead of lugging around multiple paper notebooks or my main 17'' computer to the rotation.
I've been looking at the Surface Go due to its small size to fit nicely in the white coat, acceptable processing, and being lightweight. I could also doodle on it as a stress-free pastime while traveling (I've heard the new Microsoft pen is better in quality for drawing). I've looked at many youtube reviews on the Surface Go, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5, and the Surface Pro 3.
Does anyone have any experience with a particular device that helped you in clinics? Any reviews on the Surface Go? Advice with tablets on rotations in general?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I hope this is the right forum to post this question. I'm wrapping up my 2nd year at WesternU VetMed with my 3rd year beginning our clinical rotations. I've been considering the idea of getting a portable tablet with pen capabilities to take with me while I travel instead of lugging around multiple paper notebooks or my main 17'' computer to the rotation.
I've been looking at the Surface Go due to its small size to fit nicely in the white coat, acceptable processing, and being lightweight. I could also doodle on it as a stress-free pastime while traveling (I've heard the new Microsoft pen is better in quality for drawing). I've looked at many youtube reviews on the Surface Go, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5, and the Surface Pro 3.
Does anyone have any experience with a particular device that helped you in clinics? Any reviews on the Surface Go? Advice with tablets on rotations in general?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
I never had use for my tablet in clinics. I had a small notebook for taking history then all my charting happened on my laptop. Others may feel differently though.

Reactions: 1 users
I bought a tablet with the intent on using it during clinics. It was pocket sized and had an attachable keyboard. Aaaand I never used it. Small notebooks were just easier.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an iPad before clinics and honestly, it was just as easy to google things on my phone when on the fly and use my laptop or provided desktops in the rounds rooms.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t see the need for a tablet in clinics. In fact, it would be annoying to keep track of. Hell I got a tablet at graduation thinking I would use it in practice. It’s been collecting dust for the past 5 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Ah, I see what you all mean. The main takeaway for me was the decrease in weight (plus I'll have instant access to my OneNote) from carrying multiple notebooks when traveling to sites. I'll think more about this, I have a couple of weeks to mull on the subject. Thank you so much for your insight!!

Ah, I see what you all mean. The main takeaway for me was the decrease in weight (plus I'll have instant access to my OneNote) from carrying multiple notebooks when traveling to sites. I'll think more about this, I have a couple of weeks to mull on the subject. Thank you so much for your insight!!
Why do you need multiple notebooks?
Honestly the less you carry the better. Don’t be the kid everyone sighs about because they’re always looking for their thing, and doing the “oh hold on I need to grab my notebook!” When they’re really just dead weight to begin with on the service. If you need to look things up on your down time, I’m sure there are computers you can access. The point of being in the clinics is to be learning from the clinicians and patients directly, not to be sitting down looking things up and taking copious notes. One little notebook to jot things down, and maybe one small booklet of important information is really all you need. If it’s to have something to reference once you get home for the day, you can just bring your laptop that you’re used to.

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you need multiple notebooks?
Honestly the less you carry the better. Don’t be the kid everyone sighs about because they’re always looking for their thing, and doing the “oh hold on I need to grab my notebook!” When they’re really just dead weight to begin with on the service. If you need to look things up on your down time, I’m sure there are computers you can access. The point of being in the clinics is to be learning from the clinicians and patients directly, not to be sitting down looking things up and taking copious notes. One little notebook to jot things down, and maybe one small booklet of important information is really all you need. If it’s to have something to reference once you get home for the day, you can just bring your laptop that you’re used to.
Yup. Being present is the most important thing while you're learning. You look up things later when you're not actively seeing clients and presenting to clinicians. Plus on externships, they usually have a book library for you to use so you are rarely using your own resources anyway.

My mistake, I misspoke. Before considering a tablet, I planned to have one small 8'' x 5'' designated notebook for notes for the rotation site itself. At the very most I would take some of my older notebooks through these past two years that have well-organized notes to the housing location, that way I can refer to it after when the day is done. Since I prefer to keep my notes for each block (Equine, lab, large animal, etc) separate, I thought consolidating it to one device would be a better option. However, I think I've made my decision to not go with the tablet. I didn't take into consideration how using an electronic device would look to the preceptor and be a distraction. Thank you again for the advice on this!