Would I be able to get in ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rady

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am a US resident but a FMG and am very interested in Rad Onc. I would like to know what are the chances for a FMG to be able to get in to this field ? Do you all know of any FMGs who have got in in the past 2-3 years ?
Thank-you !

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely face an uphill battle. I do not personally know of any FMGs that have gotten a spot in radonc in the past couple of years. I know that last year there was at least one DO who got in however.

But if radonc is really your dream, I would at least give it a shot. But you just have to know what you are signing up for and that it will be extraordinarily difficult to get in..but I don't think impossible.

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!"

Rudyard Kipling

I am going to give it a shot ! Do you know people who have matched into radonc through the scramble ?
What are the credentials of an average radonc resident ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to give it a shot ! Do you know people who have matched into radonc through the scramble ?
What are the credentials of an average radonc resident ?

Best wishes to you - I'm glad you're going for it!

I don't know the credentials, but I do know 2 people who scrambled into spots last year and 1 scrambled into JHU a few years ago, so it is totally possible! But then, maybe you won't even need the scramble:)

There is a match statistics thread floating around this and other forums that has a pdf detailing statistics for multiple fields (including rad onc). I wouldn't count on scrambling - there are often no (or only a few) spots left for the scramble in rad onc, and it seems there would be stiff competition for them (unless the program didn't fill because there was something inherently wrong with it).

Best wishes to you - I'm glad you're going for it!

I don't know the credentials, but I do know 2 people who scrambled into spots last year and 1 scrambled into JHU a few years ago, so it is totally possible! But then, maybe you won't even need the scramble:)

JHU hasnt taken anyone in the scamble since before my time (2000).

Hi. I am a US resident but a FMG and am very interested in Rad Onc. I would like to know what are the chances for a FMG to be able to get in to this field ? Do you all know of any FMGs who have got in in the past 2-3 years ?
Thank-you !

rady since you made your decision, please let me offer you some practical advise now; have a backup plan. Meaning if you dont get in, have something to do that will either bolster your app for the future such as a year or so doing research and I mean hard core productive research, or a back up with regards to a nother field of interest if the assessment is that its unlikely you would get in after all is said and done. this doesnt reflect your ability, just the harsh reality of being an IMG now. I believe in being a rational optimist, so id come up with a plan. good luck!

JHU hasnt taken anyone in the scamble since before my time (2000).

I was told by a recent JHU grad that a female scrambled into the program after he did. He finished residency 3 years ago - was his info incorrect?

ah i know the story. it wasn't a scramble. A person was given an offer outside of match - he had applied with a few others of a "starting next year" spot. He then decided not to do it and it went to another person. it was not a scramble.

ah i know the story. it wasn't a scramble. A person was given an offer outside of match - he had applied with a few others of a "starting next year" spot. He then decided not to do it and it went to another person. it was not a scramble.

Thanks - at least I know my source was honest!:)

im sure he didnt mean to mislead.the nuiances sometimes are more complex that you'd imagine.

i cant tell you that for IMGs, even being a top applicant is proving to not be enough unless you dont mind waiting a few extra years to get in through the side door.