Would I be able to apply MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedhopeful56

Reaction score
Hello,

I posted awhile back about having a low GPA but I was able to get Fs from several years ago off of my GPA so now I feel a bit more confident. It went form a 3.1 to a 3.45. I'm taking the MCAT in the fall. I'm a nontrad. Flunked out of community college 8 years ago and then joined the military. I worked in healthcare during my service. I'm also a lesbian and married to a woman so I'm not sure what schools are more lgbtq friendly.
  1. cGPA: 3.45 (upward trend 2.5-3.45) (3.7 for the last 60 credits) sGPA: 3.40
  2. MCAT: I will be taking the MCAT in the fall
  3. New York, but I also have a place in riverside, CA so I could also move back for awhile and switch residencies. I was thinking about doing that if I decided to apply to UCR
  4. White
  5. Hofstra undergrad
  6. 13,000-14,000 hours as a medic in the military
  7. 500 hours of Research
  8. 0 shadowing hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 500 hours teaching voice lessons and music to children ages 3-10
  10. 5 years of active duty military service
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I'm a lesbian and married to a woman so I would prefer more LGBTQ+ friendly schools.

Would it be possible for me to apply MD or should I only stick to DO?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was able to get Fs from several years ago off of my GPA so now I feel a bit more confident.
What do you mean by this? I'm just asking because the AAMC is pretty strict about including all grades from transcripts. For example, if you got a C in biochem and then retook the class for an A, the AAMC would factor in both grades instead of just the re-take grade.

Can you format this post to the WAMC format? It will help get a more comprehensive picture including your GPA trends since you seem to have some changes in GPA throughout your academic career.

Most schools are LGBTQ+ friendly with exceptions usually in those grounded in religion (Liberty, Loma Linda, Texas Christian Univeristy). But a school can be more liberal but is based in a town that is not so it would be helpful to know your state of residency to narrow things down.

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
  7. Research experience and productivity
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by this? I'm just asking because the AAMC is pretty strict about including all grades from transcripts. For example, if you got a C in biochem and then retook the class for an A, the AAMC would factor in both grades instead of just the re-take grade.
Hello,
The school granted me a retroactive medical withdrawal from that semester with the Fs that I had.

Last edited:
Can you format this post to the WAMC format? It will help get a more comprehensive picture including your GPA trends since you seem to have some changes in GPA throughout your academic career.

Most schools are LGBTQ+ friendly with exceptions usually in those grounded in religion (Liberty, Loma Linda, Texas Christian Univeristy). But a school can be more liberal but is based in a town that is not so it would be helpful to know your state of residency to narrow things down.

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
  7. Research experience and productivity
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
Thank you! I just changed my post to the format!

Hello,
The school granted me a retroactive medical withdrawal from that semester with the Fs that I had.
Thanks for clarifying. Still hard to give chances without an MCAT score. If you score 515+ I think given your military background and healthcare experience, you could conceivably get an MD acceptance.

Thanks for clarifying. Still hard to give chances without an MCAT score. If you score 515+ I think given your military background and healthcare experience, you could conceivably get an MD acceptance.
Thank you! I'm not really very picky, I wasn't going to apply to a top tier school. I know my GPA isn't great, I just love helping people and want to apply to as many places as I can.

Last edited:
Thank you for your service. You can check the student clubs list for LGBTQ+ friendly organizations as well as the Medical Student Pride Alliance website for a list of chapters. We have an LGBTQ forum here as well.

Thank you for your service. You can check the student clubs list for LGBTQ+ friendly organizations as well as the Medical Student Pride Alliance website for a list of chapters. We have an LGBTQ forum here as well.
Thank you! I had no idea that there was a medical student pride alliance! I'm very excited about that and hopefully I can connect with more people like me! Thank you so much for that recommendation!

Thank you! I had no idea that there was a medical student pride alliance! I'm very excited about that and hopefully I can connect with more people like me! Thank you so much for that recommendation!
Tell them HPSA and SDN referred you. ;) they just formed a few years ago.