Would I be a good candidate for an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nachos68

Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I'm a Canadian with an AMCAS cGPA of 3.6 and an sGPA of 3.1, neither of which I believe are high enough as an international applicant to US med schools. I understand that most SMP applicants have lower numbers, but would it make sense for me to do an SMP?

I contacted Georgetown, my first choice, and they said they've had a few Canadians but couldn't give any statistics as to how they fare, other than saying that many were successful at matriculating into med school. Would the high-risk high-reward of an SMP be worth it for an international student? From what I've gathered, I believe international students would have the same shot as any other SMP student, but we'd still be applying as international and would thus be competing for fewer seats at some schools afterwards.

Canadian schools here use weighted GPA formulas, and given that my wGPA ranges from a 3.7-3.8 depending on the formula, I'm not competitive enough for Canadian schools, and I didn't think my sGPA gave me a shot at American schools either. I therefore gave up on medicine a while ago and don't have an MCAT score to give you guys. I'd be applying to SMPs with a GRE, which I'm scheduled to write soon.

I'm fully prepared to study, work, and reside in the US. However, I'm not keen on doing a DO, since it would bar me from returning to Canada on the slim chance that I would need or want to down the line.

Any input is hugely appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I’m in a similar spot as you are - fellow canadian looking to do MD in the US - and I don’t really know much about applying as a Canadian out of SMP’s to US MD’s but I know that at least in Georgetown, doing their SMP gives you a certain privilege for their MD program. I don’t know if there is still that Canadian applicant bias with this - I wouldn’t think there would be because Georgetown considers Canadians as out-of-state residents (so like technically within US(?)). This could probably help you out if you decide to do the program - but this might be clarified more with another phone call? Sorry I couldn’t help more!