Would be so grateful for rotations advice re:residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need advice about setting up MSIII and IV rotations as it pertains to my obtaining a residency. The fields I'm interested in right now are derm, ophtho, and pm&r.

I know that for the fields I'm interested in, I should pursue electives at programs I'm interested in. Would it better to do these in year 4 when I've accumulated some experience on the wards and may be better able to impress? If so, does that mean I should avoid doing rotations at programs I'm interested in during year III for fear I won't make the best impression as a newbie?

My school offers 6 4 wk electives - obviously those three fields I'm interested in are all electives. Should I spend like 2 electives on each of them assuming I'm still interested in all three at that point? Would it be better to narrow it down before then and spend 4 or 5 of them on one specialty?

My final question is perhaps the most important. Apart from rotations in those fields I will be applying for, does it really matter where I do my other rotations (IM, Surg, OBGYN etc etc)? I know if I wanted a great IM residency, I wouldn't want to do my IM rotations at podunk community hospital. But since I'm not interested in any of those other fields, can I just choose the most convenient and comfortable rotations?

Thanks so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that the rotations for the core rotations will matter if you are thinking of applying to Derm or optho. They will want to see strong letters of rec/grades from programs of a known quality. I assume from your post you are a DO. In this case you would do well to narrow down your choices and then spend the first ~3 months of 4th year rotating in your chosen specialty at well known programs where you can get strong letters that will hopefully open doors for you. If you are planning to go DO for residency it probably won't matter as much but for MD this is just the tip of the iceberg.

C

Seaglass said:
I would say that the rotations for the core rotations will matter if you are thinking of applying to Derm or optho. They will want to see strong letters of rec/grades from programs of a known quality. I assume from your post you are a DO. In this case you would do well to narrow down your choices and then spend the first ~3 months of 4th year rotating in your chosen specialty at well known programs where you can get strong letters that will hopefully open doors for you. If you are planning to go DO for residency it probably won't matter as much but for MD this is just the tip of the iceberg.

C

Thank you so much. If I go for derm/optho Ill be going for DO residencies; if PM&R, then top-tier MD. Basically I should go for some reputable IM/Surg rotations, try to narrow down what I'm interested in, and then spend beginning of 4th year rotating at the programs I'm interested in...can I slack on the OB/GYN, Psych, Amb. Med etc (as far as where I do rotations, not my performance)?