Would applying to 2 diff programs get me in trouble??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simpledoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey friends,....i have 3 simple questions:
1. Would applying to 2 different programs (NOT IN THE SAME SCHOOL) get me in trouble in any way?
2. If I had applied to Ortho in a particular school last year, and this year I apply to Endo at the same school, would that affect me in any way? I mean ,would it be convincing, if I say, I developed interest in Endo during the past 1 year while I was doing my AEGD?
3. Is it advisable to take reco letters from different profs of my school to apply to diff departments? I mean, can i ask my prostho prof to recommend my application to pros program and also ask my endo prof to write a reco letter for my endo application?? am i sounding sensible/oversmart/dumb here?? :confused:
my whole hearted appreciation to each on of ya'll for your responses, in advance!
simpledoc.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess my first thought is to ask why you want to apply to different programs. I think that the admissions people want to see a real commitment to the program of choice as it will be a lot of time and effort for you (and them) to complete the program no matter what it is in.
I don't think you would get in "trouble". However, I do think your profs will frown on writing letters for you if they know you are unsure about what specialty you are interested in. For example, if you ask your prostho for a letter for that program and they find out you asked the ortho for a letter for an ortho residency...the prostho may question your true commitment and that may reflect poorly for you in their letter. I think you want your letters to be glorious...stroking your accomplishments and desire to train in that particular specialty. I don't think it is unrealistic to change your mind from ortho to endo over the course of a year. If you apply to endo though, they may ask you to explain that decision and to defend your stance. Good luck with your decision.