About to quit dental school. What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

*T00THFAIRY*

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont think I have it in me to repeat a whole year, for a single failed class, and take on the financial burden of student loans sooner than anticipated on a career path I cant fully see myself in, in a university that i'm fundamentally disappointed in for various related and unrelated reasons. I am obviously also disappointed in myself as well but I know in my heart I did give this my all and its disheartening that it wasn't enough. The only thing thats keeping me from flat out walking away is 1- out of respect for the DECADE I have spent trying to make it in, And 2- Fear- fear of not being able to find something semi decent with this bio degree and then regretting my decision to leave. I feel completely lost and dont even know what kinds of jobs dental or medical school dropouts seek and successfully manage to get.I dont know if my reasons for staying are enough to stay and what guarantees I wont have these feelings to leave down the line when I'd be up to my neck in loans.

Below is some relevant background info:
So I had wanted to be a dentist for as long as I can remember, for a multitude of reasons. After 2 cycles of rejections I finally got accepted on my third try.

To my surprise I got not one but 2 acceptances!! I was beyond happy and my parents and little sister were so proud, it was a wonderful feeling. In the time I spent in between application cycles (total 4 years) I did a variety of jobs I hated and ultimately saw a level of success with a company I started. The income from that and finally deciding to sell the company allowed me to secure a condo and pay for the first 2 years of school. I was so relieved I could avoid student loans for at least those first years.

......fast forward to the first semester of dental school; skinning and decapitating a human corpse and dissecting in areas not even relevant to general dentistry. Psychologically it was so difficult for me, that despite me doing everything I possibly could I did not pass the class. At this point I had already realized I HATE the sound metal instruments on teeth, like its the equivalent of nails to a chalk board for me. I was depressed and anxious all the time with panic attacks and all. I later found out that secretly many of my classmates and many of you were/are going through the same struggles. I didnt particularly enjoy sim lab but was decent at it and I wasn't overall excited to be in clinic like my classmates. I was ready to just leave abruptly without a plan on so many occasion, but I was ultimately convinced by the deans office to stay and was told if I passed everything I could just remediate the failed class in the summer.

Spring semester was not easy but it was night and day compared to the first semester. I managed to pass all my classes. I was so relieved and although I lost my passion for dentistry, its still a super secure field and I thought 3 years will just fly by. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, although I only failed one class, I was slapped in the face by an email letting me know I was being given the "opportunity" to re-do my DS1 year. I called and called multiple people in the deans office to get some explanation but they were all unavailable for the following 2 days (graduation preparations apparently). I fanatically calculated my GPA and nothing was making sense, I semi relaxed and though surely it was a mistake. Finally I got an email reply from someone and we broke down my grades. Turns out I got an 80 in a class, which I thought meant a B, but in this class anything between 70 and 82 is a C.... Meaning that even with remediation of the cadaver class I won't have a 2.0 required GPA because they only allow you to get a C in a remediation course.

Members don't see this ad.

I empathize with you. I also struggled in dental school as a non-traditional student who was going back to school at age 27. I had my fair share of bad grades, I dreaded showing up to some classes and poorly run clinics. But I was fortunate enough to be around classmates and roommates who motivated me. Dental school can make most dental students feel depressed, majority of them don’t talk about it. I have a good female friend and old classmate from dental school who inspires me about life’s challenges, despair and the feeling of getting stuck. She and I started together in D1. She was held back and remediated D1. She had a full mental break down in D2 from the high stress she endured through a very condensed curriculum and was hospitalized for it. She remediated D2 because she missed an entire semester. She came back, struggled and remediated in D2 again for the second time. I think there was one more remediation after that. All in all, she ended up graduating 5 or 6 years after I did. She is now happily practicing in San Diego and owns a nice home there. She goes for long walks on the beach couple of times a week and travels more than most most dentists I know. I truly believe dental school can mentally break a student. But once you survive it, however much effort it takes and time, there is a big bright light at the end of the tunnel. Your whole life is ahead of you, no remediation or a bad grade should stop you from getting there. You have it in you, just regroup mentally and punch back harder. The very best luck to you!

• Care
Reactions: 27 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quit and do what? Since you had the experience of working in the real world before you started dental school, I am sure you understand how hard it is to make a decent living even if you have a college degree. There are not a lot of good paying jobs out there like many here think there are. I don’t think you should quit.

Practicing dentistry is not fun either. Work is not supposed to be fun. But at least being a dentist, you are guaranteed a 6-figure income.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
I dont think I have it in me to repeat a whole year, for a single failed class, and take on the financial burden of student loans sooner than anticipated on a career path I cant fully see myself in, in a university that i'm fundamentally disappointed in for various related and unrelated reasons. I am obviously also disappointed in myself as well but I know in my heart I did give this my all and its disheartening that it wasn't enough. The only thing thats keeping me from flat out walking away is 1- out of respect for the DECADE I have spent trying to make it in, And 2- Fear- fear of not being able to find something semi decent with this bio degree and then regretting my decision to leave. I feel completely lost and dont even know what kinds of jobs dental or medical school dropouts seek and successfully manage to get.I dont know if my reasons for staying are enough to stay and what guarantees I wont have these feelings to leave down the line when I'd be up to my neck in loans.

So I had wanted to be a dentist for as long as I can remember, for a multitude of reasons. After 2 cycles of rejections I finally got accepted on my third try.

To my surprise I got not one but 2 acceptances!! I was beyond happy and my parents and little sister were so proud, it was a wonderful feeling. In the time I spent in between application cycles (total 4 years) I did a variety of jobs I hated and ultimately saw a level of success with a company I started. The income from that and finally deciding to sell the company allowed me to secure a condo and pay for the first 2 years of school. I was so relieved I could avoid student loans for at least those first years.

......fast forward to the first semester of dental school; skinning and decapitating a human corpse and dissecting in areas not even relevant to general dentistry. Psychologically it was so difficult for me, that despite me doing everything I possibly could I did not pass the class. At this point I had already realized I HATE the sound metal instruments on teeth, like its the equivalent of nails to a chalk board for me. I was depressed and anxious all the time with panic attacks and all. I later found out that secretly many of my classmates and many of you were/are going through the same struggles. I didnt particularly enjoy sim lab but was decent at it and I wasn't overall excited to be in clinic like my classmates. I was ready to just leave abruptly without a plan on so many occasion, but I was ultimately convinced by the deans office to stay and was told if I passed everything I could just remediate the failed class in the summer.

Spring semester was not easy but it was night and day compared to the first semester. I managed to pass all my classes. I was so relieved and although I lost my passion for dentistry, its still a super secure field and I thought 3 years will just fly by. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, although I only failed one class, I was slapped in the face by an email letting me know I was being given the "opportunity" to re-do my DS1 year. I called and called multiple people in the deans office to get some explanation but they were all unavailable for the following 2 days (graduation preparations apparently). I fanatically calculated my GPA and nothing was making sense, I semi relaxed and though surely it was a mistake. Finally I got an email reply from someone and we broke down my grades. Turns out I got an 80 in a class, which I thought meant a B, but in this class anything between 70 and 82 is a C.... Meaning that even with remediation of the cadaver class I won't have a 2.0 required GPA because they only allow you to get a C in a remediation course.
Do the best you can to finish. Dental school is a marathon.. not a sprint. You have worked so hard to get accepted.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
if you feel like you were wronged it may be worth getting a lawyer to advocate for you. This may upset the dean and create a more frictioned relationship. I would agree with others here. Just push through and focus on the fact that if you can make it through this you can make it through anything. You sound like you have the capacity to succeed.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't have it in you to succeed in dental school and you hate dentistry - cut your losses and quit.
Why? There no areas in the body, dissecting which are irrelevant to dentistry and not bothering to read the syllabus to know grade percentages.
Learning and practicing dentistry requires either love for it or incredible attention to detail. Find something you love - there no point in wasting you life on suffering

You don't have it in you to succeed in dental school and you hate dentistry - cut your losses and quit.
Why? There no areas in the body, dissecting which are irrelevant to dentistry and not bothering to read the syllabus to know grade percentages.
Learning and practicing dentistry requires either love for it or incredible attention to detail. Find something you love - there no point in wasting you life on suffering

Remediating a year is mentally and emotionally tough, but the course load and the study material being remediating on is still the same. It should be easier on the second round… as most of the repeated topics should be very familiar. Giving up dental school all together is more painful after so many years of planning, financial and emotional investment. I say don’t give up… keep going forward. Unless remediation leads to more remediations, which is even more rare.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
You need to take a break and think about what your future holds. Right now, you can only see the negative, but is there an alternative pathway? If there is a clear alternative, then by all means pursue it. If not, bear what seems to be the unbearable. Most of the things that seem intolerable may be left in the rearview mirror if you get past these struggles. Your passion may well come back if you can get through this difficult phase of your life. Whatever you decide, we all wish you well and know you are not the first to go through something this traumatic. If you can get through this, you will be the better for it. Take care..

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
You need to take a break and think about what your future holds. Right now, you can only see the negative, but is there an alternative pathway? If there is a clear alternative, then by all means pursue it. If not, bear what seems to be the unbearable. Most of the things that seem intolerable may be left in the rearview mirror if you get past these struggles. Your passion may well come back if you can get through this difficult phase of your life. Whatever you decide, we all wish you well and know you are not the first to go through something this traumatic. If you can get through this, you will be the better for it. Take care..

Taking a break = $50-100k in additional tuition/student loans per 1 year break. Taking a break also means re-applying at most programs with a good chance of not getting accepted if there is a remediation on your record. So either quit for good or take the remediation.

Taking a break = $50-100k in additional tuition/student loans per 1 year break. Taking a break also means re-applying at most programs with a good chance of not getting accepted if there is a remediation on your record. So either quit for good or take the remediation.

Hey dude,

I didn't say how long the break was..also OP could ask for brief LOA if longer...

Thank you for your response @ujsc I definitely need to take some time to think about it. Luckily it's the summer so I have the month of June and few weeks to make a decision.

Thank you for your response @Cold Front! Luckily I do not have the weight of student loans on me. I was really lucky with a business I started 2 years before dental school it paid for my full tuition and expenses this year. But I do agree with you, my two options are to either quit for good or re-do the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response @oralcare123 I agree dentistry does require one to have either love for it or incredible attention to detail.

if you feel like you were wronged it may be worth getting a lawyer to advocate for you. This may upset the dean and create a more frictioned relationship. I would agree with others here. Just push through and focus on the fact that if you can make it through this you can make it through anything. You sound like you have the capacity to succeed.

@dentistrydmd thank you for your response. I dont think Id have a legal case tbh. I do however plan on talking to the dean, They have not been in the office since I received the email, so I havent been able to talk to anyone in 6 days (including the weekend) since I found out. Remediation courses are a week from today and although, I dont expect to get my way and be allowed to remediate...because rules are rules, but if there is just the slightest chance that something can be arranged. Maybe be placed on a strict academic probation with immediate dismissal if I don't meet the requirements or something like that. I figured I lose nothing in respectfully trying to advocate for myself. Compared to my classmates I did really well in sim lab and my grades in clinic were also above average, so maybe that can be taken into consideration because im 0.1 point from the cut off.

Quit and do what? Since you had the experience of working in the real world before you started dental school, I am sure you understand how hard it is to make a decent living even if you have a college degree. There are not a lot of good paying jobs out there like many here think there are. I don’t think you should quit.

Practicing dentistry is not fun either. Work is not supposed to be fun. But at least being a dentist, you are guaranteed a 6-figure income.
@charlestweed Exactly! Quit and do what? That is the question I'd love to be able to answer. There isnt a dental school drop out forum :lol:...unfortunately but oof I'd be in there reading every single post.

I empathize with you. I also struggled in dental school as a non-traditional student who was going back to school at age 27. I had my fair share of bad grades, I dreaded showing up to some classes and poorly run clinics. But I was fortunate enough to be around classmates and roommates who motivated me. Dental school can make most dental students feel depressed, majority of them don’t talk about it. I have a good female friend and old classmate from dental school who inspires me about life’s challenges, despair and the feeling of getting stuck. She and I started together in D1. She was held back and remediated D1. She had a full mental break down in D2 from the high stress she endured through a very condensed curriculum and was hospitalized for it. She remediated D2 because she missed an entire semester. She came back, struggled and remediated in D2 again for the second time. I think there was one more remediation after that. All in all, she ended up graduating 5 or 6 years after I did. She is now happily practicing in San Diego and owns a nice home there. She goes for long walks on the beach couple of times a week and travels more than most most dentists I know. I truly believe dental school can mentally break a student. But once you survive it, however much effort it takes and time, there is a big bright light at the end of the tunnel. Your whole life is ahead of you, no remediation or a bad grade should stop you from getting there. You have it in you, just regroup mentally and punch back harder. The very best luck to you!
Wow! What a story for both you and your friend. Thank you for sharing. Thats the definition of perseverance. It's terrifying about the hospitalizations tho...If your health is that badly on the line, then it must have been a really tough call- like she probably felt like she had no other options. Made me smile that it turned out well for her. She sounds like she definitely deserves it.
Also, its true what you said about how as dental students don't really talk about our depression and mental struggles. We had a councilor come in at orientation to tell us about the mental health office and those kinds of services but it was publicly looked down at in my class to even have issues. As soon as the councilor walked away that day, a main faculty began his lecture saying that we should not be that stressed from school. That if we were we should reconsider being dentist because just like we wouldn't want a brain surgeon who struggled in school, patients aren't going to want a dentist who had to remediate or had academic issues. That we were there to be the best dentist in the nation and that at X school they don't want to send out mediocre dentists. Although I do get where he was coming from, I obviously dont agree completely with him.

My advise-get back on the horse. It will be a hell of a ride...

Reactions: 1 users
a main faculty began his lecture saying that we should not be that stressed from school. That if we were we should reconsider being dentist because just like we wouldn't want a brain surgeon who struggled in school, patients aren't going to want a dentist who had to remediate or had academic issues. That we were there to be the best dentist in the nation and that at X school they don't want to send out mediocre dentists. Although I do get where he was coming from, I obviously dont agree completely with him.
Dude what the heck was that guy talking about lmao. Patients don't want someone who is bad at dentistry right now. That's why school exists, to get good at these things while the stakes are still low.

Reactions: 4 users

If you want to continue on as a Dental Student then you first much find out the official policy of your School. From your post you are not clear. You need to get it in writing. If the policy is what you say then you have to make a decision as to whether or not you stay or go.
There is no doubt Dental School is a stressful experience. I think though you have to do some introspection because your comments on anatomy are insightful. You need a firm basis in all the basic sciences as well as clinical sciences to be a good practitioner. Knowledge is not a fixed objective but constantly changing and not knowing the basics hinder one’s ability to update their knowledge base as new applications of technology and science impact on how we practice.
So you’ve got to be honest with yourself and come to a decision as to what you want to do and then facilitate that plan. No one else can do this.

@dentistrydmd thank you for your response. I dont think Id have a legal case tbh. I do however plan on talking to the dean, They have not been in the office since I received the email, so I havent been able to talk to anyone in 6 days (including the weekend) since I found out. Remediation courses are a week from today and although, I dont expect to get my way and be allowed to remediate...because rules are rules, but if there is just the slightest chance that something can be arranged. Maybe be placed on a strict academic probation with immediate dismissal if I don't meet the requirements or something like that. I figured I lose nothing in respectfully trying to advocate for myself. Compared to my classmates I did really well in sim lab and my grades in clinic were also above average, so maybe that can be taken into consideration because im 0.1 point from the cut off.
Yes talk to the dean and show you care about succeeding. Tell them you won’t let them down and you worked hard to get to this point. Make a case that you had extenuating circumstances and you should be fine.

Remediating a year is mentally and emotionally tough, but the course load and the study material being remediating on is still the same. It should be easier on the second round… as most of the repeated topics should be very familiar. Giving up dental school all together is more painful after so many years of planning, financial and emotional investment. I say don’t give up… keep going forward. Unless remediation leads to more remediations, which is even more rare.
All anecdotal. But I know of 5 students that had to remediate their first year.

3/5 failed their second remediation and were expelled. Unfortunately one of them were kept on till D3, and one till D4 so they racked up tons of loans but were unable to complete their degree. 2/5 successfully graduated and became dentists. Once you start on the train of academic difficulty the admin will have their eyes on you as well the entire time

I think once you are in your third year it’s practically impossible to flunk out. There are literally almost no tests from that point on except NBDE and licensing exams. It’s strictly clinical requirements and most people don’t have an issue with that.

Most students normally find first and second year to be the hardest. You’re either really good at didactic or pre-clinic or both.

I think once you are in your third year it’s practically impossible to flunk out. There are literally almost no tests from that point on except NBDE and licensing exams. It’s strictly clinical requirements and most people don’t have an issue with that.

Most students normally find first and second year to be the hardest. You’re either really good at didactic or pre-clinic or both.
I think that is school dependent as that was not the case in my dental school.

But I agree first year is generally the most difficult, lots of academics and adjustments.

@charlestweed Exactly! Quit and do what? That is the question I'd love to be able to answer. There isnt a dental school drop out forum :lol:...unfortunately but oof I'd be in there reading every single post.
I wish you the best of luck. I’m an older non trad, and just a fair warning the real world corporate world sucks lol.

Yes talk to the dean and show you care about succeeding. Tell them you won’t let them down and you worked hard to get to this point. Make a case that you had extenuating circumstances and you should be fine.

Although this is nice suggestion, most schools have a remediation board and their decision can’t be overruled by the Dean.

All anecdotal. But I know of 5 students that had to remediate their first year.

3/5 failed their second remediation and were expelled. Unfortunately one of them were kept on till D3, and one till D4 so they racked up tons of loans but were unable to complete their degree. 2/5 successfully graduated and became dentists. Once you start on the train of academic difficulty the admin will have their eyes on you as well the entire time

Totally. Schools are run at limited capacity levels. If 5 students remediate first year, then another 5 second year, another 3 third year… it puts a lot of pressure on the lower class years. Let’s say D2 capacity is 100 students but they get by 5 remediating students from the class above, that’s 5 “struggling” extra students that will share resources (faculty, auditoriums, etc) with the 100 D2 students. It’s easier for schools just to expel the remediating students than have that headache.

You likely haven't considered all of your options. If you continue and graduate from dental school you could be a teacher, a researcher, an administrator, a dean, a public health official, and on and on. The path you're on isn't some dead-end path ending in private practice. Of course if none of that is for you, and the schooling isn't for you I'd agree now is the best time to cut your losses and move on.

Good luck making your decision.

Hang in there! It's darkest just before dawn. An eerily similar situation happened to one of my close friends. He had to remediate a year, but he eventually graduated and ended up earning close to 300K (not exaggerating) during his first year working for a corp. Furthermore, ironically, he still ended up being the first one in our original cohort to purchase a practice. Additionally, when you graduate, both you and your family will be proud that you persevered and overcame the challenge. #Grit.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Get a lawyer and fight to go to second year ASAP

TOOTHFAIRY, thank you for sharing your struggle. Of all the people who have responded to your dilemma, I'm probably the least qualified to comment. You see, I'm just now applying to dental school. I would like to address one perspective that I can speak to, however. I attended dental hygiene school in the early 2000's. Based on the clinical dentist for our hygiene program, who watched us struggle every day, dental school is similar to hygiene school in the level of stress. It's true that the material in dental school is more difficult and lasts twice as long, but that the emotional and psychological impact was very similar. I make this point because by the time my class and I were in our second year of the hygiene program, NONE of us thought we wanted to be hygienists any longer. We were burned out and just wanted to finish. After graduating it became clear that the stress of school had tainted what we thought working in the "real world" would be like. Thankfully it was as we all had hoped, but we just had to get through hell to get there. Our passion returned upon the retreat of the stressful environment of school. Not only will I remember this experience to help me through my mental struggle in dental school, I want you to know that "losing your passion" in school is so common. Please rest assured that it does not mean you are not called to dentistry. I hope you push through and make for yourself a fulfilling career in the dental field. Maybe you can even find a niche in which you don't have to listen to the "metal-on-tooth" sound. Best of luck!

I started dental school in 2004. I was one of those pre-med dental students who realized I hated everything dentistry pretty early on. Drilling, waxing, models, typodonts...it was all a waste of time, and I was really depressed. Fortunately, I passed all my classes with As and Bs (I think I had one C in operative, lol). I gutted it out through the four years, hating every minute of it. I became a general dentist at the age of 25 (about to turn 26). I was an associate GP for 11 years and was doing VERY WELL even though I did not like what I was doing. I opened my first office in 2019 and now run two offices in a competitive market. I am currently netting over seven figures a year, and at this rate, I will be retiring at 50. My home is paid off, and my two cars and student loans are paid off. Basically debt free.

Ultimately, you have to ask yourself, what is my other alternative. If you have different goals you can pursue, by all means, go for them. If you don't, I would personally suck it up and finish what I started. There is no shame in repeating the year. It will make you a better clinician in the long run. But during your second go, you need to be focused and give it everything you have.

Don't quit; you can do this.

Reactions: 3 users
I started dental school in 2004. I was one of those pre-med dental students who realized I hated everything dentistry pretty early on. Drilling, waxing, models, typodonts...it was all a waste of time, and I was really depressed. Fortunately, I passed all my classes with As and Bs (I think I had one C in operative, lol). I gutted it out through the four years, hating every minute of it. I became a general dentist at the age of 25 (about to turn 26). I was an associate GP for 11 years and was doing VERY WELL even though I did not like what I was doing. I opened my first office in 2019 and now run two offices in a competitive market. I am currently netting over seven figures a year, and at this rate, I will be retiring at 50. My home is paid off, and my two cars and student loans are paid off. Basically debt free.

Ultimately, you have to ask yourself, what is my other alternative. If you have different goals you can pursue, by all means, go for them. If you don't, I would personally suck it up and finish what I started. There is no shame in repeating the year. It will make you a better clinician in the long run. But during your second go, you need to be focused and give it everything you have.

Don't quit; you can do this.
As a D3 who regrets not applying to medical school to begin with, do I have any options of switching over to medicine? And no I don’t want to do OMFS

As a D3 who regrets not applying to medical school to begin with, do I have any options of switching over to medicine? And no I don’t want to do OMFS
No, you have to start all over again and take the MCAT.

I just dont think I have it in me to do that
How will you have it in you to do four years of medical school three years minimum residency?

Finish dental school and collect six figures at go. If a few years passes and you still want to go back then go. you may not

I am not going to tell you what to do...

but you worked SOOO DAMN hard to get in. I always tell pre-dents (and dental students), getting into DS is harder than actually passing DS.

"I had wanted to be a dentist for as long as I can remember, for a multitude of reasons. After 2 cycles of rejections I finally got accepted" - read this quote a few times, remember the Joy when you first got accepted? you'll feel 100 times the Joy when you graduate

My class had just shy of 100 students, and if I remember correctly, 3-4 of them had to repeat a year at some point (first, 2nd, and one of them 3rd year). Some of those kids were very good friends of mine so we all empathized during their situation. I will tell you one thing, NONE OF THEM QUIT, it was hard as hell, some of them just straight up struggled. I used to help them with projects (and even competencies).... But they all eventually made it and are now practicing dentists.

So where are you at right now in your career?
Making a ton of money, and enjoying life outside of work. On my way to retirement soon. Probably another 10 years.

• Love
Making a ton of money, and enjoying life outside of work. On my way to retirement soon. Probably another 10 years.
So would you say it will still be possible for me to do that as well from the time that I graduate dental school in 2 years?

So would you say it will still be possible for me to do that as well from the time that I graduate dental school in 2 years?
It is impossible for anyone on an anonymous internet forum to predict how you will do once you are out of dental school. A lot will be based on your personal drive, goals, and personality.

You will have a dental license and opportunity to pursue what you want like anyone else, so yes anything is possible.

For now graduate dental school, start educating yourself more than just dental school and don't marry the wrong person and/or get divorced.

Reactions: 7 users
What happened op, any news??

OP, please continue dental school. If they are letting you return and remediate, that is a gift. Dental school sucks. I graduated 10 years ago, I was below average in my class, and I’ll be able to retire in another 8 years. I live a very comfortable cushy life. I work 3-4 days a week and make tons of money associating at different offices. I don’t own a dental office except for my PLLC.

I hated dental school. I cried almost every day and even went to our dental school’s guidance counselor, who allowed me to go to therapy for free in which my dental school would cover. There was no shame in getting help.

I was very close to having to remediate my first year, but I pulled through and my D3 and D4 years were a lot easier and I was at no risk of failing. Maybe 5% of my classmates had to remediate. We wanted everyone to succeed.

Just finish dental school. I don’t even enjoy dentistry all that much. It’s just work. Repetitive work. But after a while, you get fast and good at it, you find your favorite procedures and you eliminate procedures you don’t like. Sometimes I can’t believe people actually let me drill inside their mouth. It’s pretty crazy what we do!

Finish dental school! The hardest part is over. Getting in is the hard part. Keep your head down, chin up, eye on the prize. Don’t let administration or professors give any reason to fail you.