Would applying in December be too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bio_student95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking my OAT in November, and currently have 0 shadowing hours because I recently switched over to optometry. I am in Texas, and it's very difficult to shadow due to rapid spread of the COVID-19. Hopefully the virus will calm as we reach towards the end of the year.. After I take the OAT, I am hoping to shadow all month and then submit my application once I've reached at least 100 hours.

-My question is, are most seats already taken by this time (December)? I'm wanting to apply to UHCO, UCB, NECO, SUNY, ICO, SCCO, MCPHS, and SALUS.

-Should I just wait until the 2022 cycle?

-Also, does anyone know if these schools are out-of-state friendly?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking my OAT in November, and currently have 0 shadowing hours because I recently switched over to optometry. I am in Texas, and it's very difficult to shadow due to rapid spread of the COVID-19. Hopefully the virus will calm as we reach towards the end of the year.. After I take the OAT, I am hoping to shadow all month and then submit my application once I've reached at least 100 hours.

-My question is, are most seats already taken by this time (December)? I'm wanting to apply to UHCO, UCB, NECO, SUNY, ICO, SCCO, MCPHS, and SALUS.

-Should I just wait until the 2022 cycle?

-Also, does anyone know if these schools are out-of-state friendly?

I submitted my applications in early December and it was still considered early in the cycle. My interview dates were in January and February. SALUS and NECO have interview days several times a week, but SCCO only have interview days 1 or 2 times a month starting in September. Realistically, seats are not all taken by December.

I think all the schools you want to apply to require an optometrist letter of recommendation (except SCCO). If you can get the required recommendation letters, you should go ahead and apply this year :)

I submitted my applications in early December and it was still considered early in the cycle. My interview dates were in January and February. SALUS and NECO have interview days several times a week, but SCCO only have interview days 1 or 2 times a month starting in September. Realistically, seats are not all taken by December.

I think all the schools you want to apply to require an optometrist letter of recommendation (except SCCO). If you can get the required recommendation letters, you should go ahead and apply this year :)
Thanks for your response! Do you mind sharing your stats so I can get a better idea of where I would be?

Thanks for your response! Do you mind sharing your stats so I can get a better idea of where I would be?
Sure! This is copied from a previous post of mine. Hope this helps!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 12/01/2019 (12/16/2019 for SCCO)
Date verified: 12/01/2019
OAT Scores: TS 370 / AA 360
Major: Honours Biomedical Sciences
GPA: overall 3.62, science 3.57
Extracurricular Activities: 3+ years as receptionist/optometric tech at 2 different optometrist offices, 2+ years working at an optical, ~12hrs shadowing an optometrist
Schools applied: NECO, SCCO, Salus/PCO
Interviews extended/date: NECO(12/11/2019), SCCO(12/18/2019)/, Salus PCO(12/07/2019)
Interviews accepted: SCCO(01/11/2020), Salus PCO(01/14/2020)
Interviews declined: NECO (01/21/2020 - cancelled my interview)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCCO(01/13/2020), Salus PCO(01/21/2020)

Reactions: 1 user