Would anyone study First Aid for the USMLE on MP3 for IPod?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you just read the book and record it? Or did you teach yourself by first putting time into learning each topic, record yourself as though you were teaching it to someone, then play that over again to yourself later?
I would think that if you did the later, lots of people would be interseted(especially if you did well on the test). But if you just read the book, not as many people since they could probably read and retain better than just listening. Also, are you giving it away for free? If so, then more people will want it. If not, then most people will not buy it unless you gain a reputation like Goljan.

hey stark it sounds potentially useful for us auditory learners. i'd be curious to hear it (under the assumption that it's free). thanks!

-pleaseletmepass

I just got an IPOD the other day so I have been putting my schools lectures on it. For me its not the BEST way to learn but it allows me to study more hours every day. Like the previous posters said, if it were to be free then Yes i would be very interested however I just couldnt justify spending money on the audio lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you, please, also include a maybe answer for some people who are undecided. My answer is YES.:idea:

Some responses thus far:

Post 1:
great idea...interetingly a friend of mine made ORAL notes on a few sections in FA which was passed on to me...those sections of FA are the ones i know by heart!!
great idea..PLEASE go ahead with it..!!!!!

Post 2:
Thats a great idea.go ahead with it!

Post 3:
well, first of all u can't do it because FA is a copyrighted material! U can rewrite a similar book giving a different title that will include everything for one to prepare for step1. Not a bad idea... but think about that just only for pathology Goljan has more than 20 (50 min) mp3 files! So its definitely be gonna very big! I think that 'Gold standard' tried to come up with something similar but it was a big, big flop! One thing we need to keep in mind that the ILLUSTRATIONS in FA are the vital and insegregable components of the entire concept that help u to retain the contents in ur memory... a pure audio version of something like FA will definitely lack in the much needed visual elements!

Post 4:
Hi, it is a good idea. the only problem is that its not ur work. u can only do it for urself not on a commercial level i think cos of the copyright. i had thot of sthg like that. i'm not going ahead but will give u my idea if its different from urs and if u want to pursue it. i had thot of contacting first aid guys and telling them having the audio in CD. they can include it in the 1st aid book or sell it differently. it is really a very good idea. i believe it will work. u go ahead and suggest it to them. sell them the idea b4 anyone else does. Its their loss if they dont see the potential. All the best.

Reply:
Everyone has made really great points and thanks for the encouragement.

1. The audios cannot stand alone. The books are still essential for the diagrams and quick review. The audio would have to a suppliment to the text.
2. Copyright to the books will have to be purchased from the publisher (big expense).
3. The iPod exists and several people have said they like the audio for review thus far.

Any other comments?

Thanks, Stark

Here's my story and how I did it:

As a medical student, I studied for the first semester the usual way. I read the books, took notes and highlighted stuff. The problem for me was that I would always try to memorize things as I went along. Each topic and each line I thought was important. . . and usually it is. But this method of studying made everything go quite slowly and the first six months I averaged about an 80% overall and was in the 50th percentile of my class.

I knew I was smarter than that, so I decided to change my studying strategy. Our class scribed notes, so I would go to lecture, then take the scribed note and read them into my tape recorder rather than annotate, study and highlight. Before each set of block exams, I would listen to the notes on tape 3 times. I no longer read the books for class (my theory was that anything that a professor would test you on, he would mention at least once). I still did some practice questions with friends as well. This strategy paid off and I graduated in the top 10 of my class.

The approach worked so well, that I studied for the boards this way. I took First Aid for Steps 1,2, and 3 along the way, Step Up for the USMLE, and Underground Clinical Vignettes as well as a couple of other books and recorded all of them and listened to study. This resulted in top board scores for all three Step exams and an ophthalmology residency in New York.

When I graduated medical school, I threw most of the tapes away and had recorded over many of them.

As I began ophthalmology residency, I turned digital. Now I put all of the ophthalmology review books on computer as MP3 or MP4 and listen to them.

HOW I STUDIED AUDIO: I found the most effective way to study audio from a book such as First Aid is to sit down with the book open and put on my head phones. I would put the playback speed on fast, because your brain can usually think faster than a person can speak. I would look at the diagrams and flip the pages as I went along.

I didn't re-read the text while listening, just look at the diagrams, so I got the visual and the verbal portion of learning at once. I think it is essential to have both the book and the audio, one alone won't do for a lot of medicine. For example, all the path slides in the back of the book.

I would listen to the book three times through as fast as I could (my attention span was about 50 minutes at a time) with a five minute or so break. Retention of material is about 15% the first time through, 40% the third time through, and 85-90% the third time through. By the time of the exam, I was ready.

I will respond to a few other questions later,

Thanks,

Stark

Whenever I would study for the board using audio, I would listen to the material three times.

The first time through, I would just become familiar with the material. I wouldn't actuall retain much but I would get through the ENTIRE book. The mistake a lot of people make is spending three days to memorize the first few pages and not getting through all the material.

The second time through, I would recognize a lot of the material and passages. Now I would begin to understand the diagrams and photos, and some of the data is sealed into memory.

The third time through, I would recognize almost all the material as I went. This is the point where I note the information that I DID NOT RECOGNIZE OR REMEMBER. I would put a note on these sections, this is the 10-15% of material you have to sit down and actually memorize from the book.

I would memorize as little as I could, and save the memorization for as late as I could.

Thanks,

Stark

Q: Did you take time to learn it or just listen?

A: I would listen three times all the way through. Then just take time to memorize what I had to at the end. The learning builds as you go through the material, 15%, 40% then 85%, then memorize what's left.

Q: Are you giving it away for free?

A: For the past three years I have toyed around with the idea of publishing medical review books in audio to help students, but now I am considering it seriously. In order to publish these books, the copyright has to be purchased from the publisher. I roughly estimate this cost at $35,000. Therefore, I would make a legit business and sell the MP3 books for a "reasonable" price (maybe 30 to 45 dollars) over the internet. I would make it a realy business, but charge a more realistic price (not $1000 for a set of DVD lectures, or $350 for Step One review by another audio publisher).

Q: What did you get on the Step Exams?

A: Step 1 253:99, Step 2 255:99, Step 3 235:98

Q: Why not just post it on the internet?

A: I don't have the recordings available now. I would have to start over from scratch, but if it would help students, and enough would purchase the program to cover costs, I will get going. Piracy of the material will definately be an issue. For that reason, I would keep the cost of the program relatively low, so it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive to buy. I personally feel that the people who would pirate the MP3 material, would think that any price is too high. So I would keep it low for the people who would actually buy it.

Thanks,

Stark

WHAT OTHER BOOKS WOULD YOU SUGGEST FOR AUDIO STUDY

Several students have suggested that other books may be better to study in audio format.

What books would you suggest? Which books would be the most useful in audio?

I personally liked books with a lot of pictures, diagrams, and photos. This allowed me to listen to the text while looking at the figures (killing two birds with one stone). Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Stark

Hey everybody,

Thank you to everybody for responding to my online poll. The response and participation has been overwhelming throughout the web

As a compilation of votes from various sites, these are the statistics thus far,
53 total responses
40 total yes (75%)
13 total no (25%)

Thus far, it seems like people would really like to have board review books on tape.

Based upon your input, the titles you are most interested in are
The First Aid Series
The BRS Series
The High-Yield Series
Step-Up for Step 1
Lippincott Pharm and Biochemistry
And a few other individual titles

I would appreciate your vote either way, yes or no; and any suggested titles you think would be helpful.

Thanks,

Stark

ay, i'm a bit unclear ( perhaps i overlooked ya previous posts for the answer )

1. did you record the review book word for word or summarize the pages ?

Dear shivasHeroLike,

When I was a student, I would record the whole book, unabridged and listen to it - describing the diagrams and figures along the way.

Thanks,

Stark

For classes how much listening time does your audio method usually require before a block exam?

How much time does the final memorizing require?

In your case how many lectures does a block exam normally cover?

Just out of curiosity using your audio method what study schedule (hours, subjects...etc) and resources (books, online q's...etc) would you suggest for step 1 from now until June?

Members don't see this ad :)
comlextao,

These are all great questions and I will go through them one-by-one to try and help you with blocks and the step exams.

Q1: For classes how much listening time does your audio method usually require before a block exam?

A1: Where I went to medical school, the blocke exams were every 6 weeks. So, as a rule, I would take two weeks off of studying because there was not enough info to make audio tapes of. The second two weeks, I would begin making audio tapes of the class lecture "scribe notes." My feeling was that if anything was importante enought for the professor to test you on, he would mention it at least once. This proved true most of the time. The final two weeks, I would listen to my audio notes full-time, and make the audio scribe notes as they were available. I would always make sure to go through the material in audio 3 times before the exam block for ultimate retention. (this may be considered 4 times if you include the time I verbally read the material for into the tape recorder). I can't say "how much time it takes," but you should take a couple of weeks off, make recordings a couple of weeks, the study those and make the rest the final two weeks. It takes as much time as any other study method, but you get through the material 3-4 times. That is the key to retention.

Q2: How much time does the final memorizing require?

A2: This is specific for how much material you have to go through and different for USMLE vs. block exams. Basically, you have to determine how many hours of audio you have to go though and multiply it by three.
For example, First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 is roughly 20 hours of audio. That means you can go through the entire book in two days of intense studying (12 hours a day with lunch and break every hour for 5-10 minutes).
This sounds great, and it is, but you have to pace yourself. If your brain turns off and stop concentrating, take a break for 5 minutes and come back. If you have a player with High Speed Playback, this can decrease the study time by 15% or so, but you have concentrate on the material harder. You can't be a passive learner with high speed on.

Q3: In your case how many lectures does a block exam normally cover?

A3: Normal block exams were 4 subjects, more or less. I would make audio of the scribe notes for all subjects and go through them all 3 times.

Q4: Just out of curiosity using your audio method what study schedule (hours, subjects...etc) and resources (books, online q's...etc) would you suggest for step 1 from now until June?

A4: These are the books and materials I studied for Step 1, from personal experience.
First Aid for USMLE Step 1 - the best overall book. My feeling is that if you know the info forwards and backwards, you know enough to get 85%. It's not just superficial information. The book is dense and the info is there. I made it into audio and listened 3 times back-to-back because I knew this was my #1 source. I listened and looked at the diagrams, figures, and photos in the book as I went. If I didn't get through any other information, I was going to know this book, pat.
Step-Up - another great book, has a lot of the same information in it with some different emphasis. The repetition of info from First Aid is great. If something is really important and test-worthy, every source will repeat it. I went through this one three times in audio also with the book open, looking as the pages as I went.
Blackwell's Underground Clinical Vignettes - the vignettes really helped put everything together and they are very well-suited to audio learning. Went through a couple of times because I ran out of time and considered this my third source.
Board Simulator Questions - I tried to use the Kaplan Q-bank, but the questions and answers were too long and complicated. I didn't want to read a chapter after every question that I did. The Board Simulator Questions were short enough and the explainations were equally brief. This allowed me to test my knowlegde, review the things I didn't know, and move on quickly without reading for twenty minutes after every chapter.

Well, that's it.

Good luck comlextao,

Stark

Hey everyone,

As a compilation of votes from various sites, these are the statistics thus far,
131 total responses
105 total yes (75%)
26 total no (25%)
Thus far, it seems like people would be interested in an audio companion to your favorite board review books.

Although people are interested, the question is, would anyone actually buy the product (because I would have to pay for the audio rights to the books).
I believe that a reasonable price would be comparable to or a little less than the actual text price.

For example, the text of First Aid is about 40 dollars on Amazon, so the audio would cost around 35 dollars.
And, BRS Physiology is 37 dollars on Amazon, so the audio would also be around 35 dollars.
This assumes that this relatively low price would cover production costs.

What do you guys think? It seems like people are interested, but would people actually purchase these audiobooks?

Any input is appreciated,

Thanks,

Stark

Hey Guys,

This forum poll is about to come to a close. I just put it up for one month. If anyone wants to vote or give a some additional input, this is the last chance.

This is what everyone has said so far:

134 total responses
108 total yes (81%)
26 total no (19%)

Thanks for your input,

Stark

Hey everyone,

131 total responses
105 total yes (75%)
26 total no (25%)
Thus far, it seems like people would be interested in an audio companion to your favorite board review books.

Although people are interested, the question is, would anyone actually buy the product (because I would have to pay for the audio rights to the books).
I believe that a reasonable price would be comparable to or a little less than the actual text price.

For example, the text of First Aid is about 40 dollars on Amazon, so the audio would cost around 35 dollars.
And, BRS Physiology is 37 dollars on Amazon, so the audio would also be around 35 dollars.
This assumes that this relatively low price would cover production costs.

What do you guys think? It seems like people are interested, but would people actually purchase these audiobooks?

Any input is appreciated,

Thanks,

Stark
sounds like a great idea stark...........just one caveat - whats to stop someone from copying your audio and distributing it over the net? like goljan, kaplan, pretty much anything and everything else......

KNightInBlue,

That is my biggest concern. I am interested in this as an educational project but it has to make fiancial sense. In order to do this, people would have to actually buy the audio companions - not just download them and copy them for free.

I am looking into some software possibilities, but medical students would have to feel medically and professionally obligated to follow copyright laws.

Do you have any suggestions to encourage people to use the legal versions rather than a free download?

Thanks,

Stark

KNightInBlue,

That is my biggest concern. I am interested in this as an educational project but it has to make fiancial sense. In order to do this, people would have to actually buy the audio companions - not just download them and copy them for free.

I am looking into some software possibilities, but medical students would have to feel medically and professionally obligated to follow copyright laws.

Do you have any suggestions to encourage people to use the legal versions rather than a free download?

Thanks,

Stark
I have done some legwork on this myself (planning to market something of my own) and I have come to this realisation --> IMGs will rip ANYTHING..........students in US may be amenable to paying the money but IMGs......I am guessing the dollar to currency rate ends up being expensive for them and so they will copy anything and everything - just ends up being cheaper and easier

I see 2 ways around this - one, cater the media towards something thats hard to copy, like a book (the reason there are so many books floating around the net is because someone gets a copy from the publishers and puts it on the net - if thats blocked, I dont see how a book can end up on the net for free download - I doubt anyone would go thru the hassle of painstakingly copying each page........)
second, and this applies to your product since its pretty much a media thats easily copied --> follow USMLEWORLD's example and strictly monitor the use of your product.......they spend an assload of money carefully monitoring the usage of their materials and immediately ban/restrict anyone trying to copy anything from their site...........this would, however, mean that you'd have to run a website and sell the product thru that site rather than thru retailers like amazon, barnes&noble etc (all one person needs to do is get a copy from amazon, copy it and start selling it on ebay......)

personally, I like USMLEWORLD's approach.........as much as I am willing to share with the next person, if u're gonna sweat and toil for your product, no sense in letting ppl rip it up.........my advice would be to follow them - market ur product on a website and carefully monitor its usage........you'd have to talk to usmleworld regarding obtaining software for doing this (keeping track of anyone whos trying to copy....)

not to mention, you can start ur website by giving away free trials for the first 100 users or so and letting word of mouth help spread the effectiveness of your product...........in my opinion, its far easier to advertise ur product (or ur website) on forums like this and let word of mouth do ur work for you (like it did for usmleworld) rather than pushing it thru amazon......

ultimately, treat this like a business and PROTECT it!

good luck,
Knight

Thanks Knight,

That's good advice and I wish you the best of luck with your venture.

Also

Thanks everybody,

This poll is about to close. I appreciate everybody’s feedback.

Stark

I think this is a great idea. My only concern is its a burden for you financially to take this one, and you are doing so in good faith for us, the students.

However, how many times have people said they wanted something, and than were presented with it, only to say, nah...nevermind

I also agree w/the above poster, if rights for First Aid cause 35,000, and you sell the audio for 50 dollars - you'd have to sell 700 to just make back your money, i think I remember hearing that there are like 15000 medical students in the united states, that would be like, 5 percent of the students would have to purchase it for you to break even.

While that seems like a small margin - 5 percent is huge percentage of a group to purchase a product - especially since there would almost undoubtably be rampant theft.

My class for instance - distributes yearly all of the pass videos, the kaplan videos, goljan audio, the Gold board review series, and even bootleg qbank every single year.

If you can manage to get something like first aid without purchasing the rights, then it'd be a lot more feasible.

I agree.........ANYTHING media related (audio, video) is a HUGE risk financially...........especially when done in a legitimate way (paying for rights etc).................personally, I like USMLEWORLD's way of business - not a single person has been able to copy their material yet........

But still, Stark, you are obviously going ahead with it, so good luck and keep us posted :)

cheers,
Knight

These are all really good points. I guess the deciding factor on whether or not to get these books published in audio is the cost to obtain the copyright. I am going to meet with a copyright attorney and the publishers to see if this deal is financially feasible.

I will keep you posted along the way.

Also, I am somewhat of a singer, and been the champion of many a karaoke night. But, I will probably not sing the words, although I may play the instrumental intro at the beginning!

Thanks,

Stark

These are all really good points. I guess the deciding factor on whether or not to get these books published in audio is the cost to obtain the copyright. I am going to meet with a copyright attorney and the publishers to see if this deal is financially feasible.

You are not going to be able to copyright an audio recording of someone else's book -- you will be violating their copyright. You need to get a license from the publisher.

You are not going to be able to copyright an audio recording of someone else's book -- you will be violating their copyright. You need to get a license from the publisher.
I think thats what start meant when he said 'obtain the copyright' - he was talking about getting a license......