Would an SMP help me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tpham1030

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to med school this cycle but I have thus far been unsuccessful. I have had 5 interviews but have yet to be accepted. I want to have a back-up plan if I don't get in and I am looking at possibly SMP's.

The three that really interest me are the Tulane ACP, Temple ACMS, and the Drexel IMS progams.

My stats:
3.68 cGPA, 3.86 sGPA, 34R MCAT

I have been told that SMP's are mostly for those who have lower GPAs and that it would possibly hurt me if I don't do well in them. Is this true? Has anyone had a similar experience? I am just trying to explore every option out there before I decide what to do

Thank you in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently applying to med school this cycle but I have thus far been unsuccessful. I have had 5 interviews but have yet to be accepted. I want to have a back-up plan if I don't get in and I am looking at possibly SMP's.

The three that really interest me are the Tulane ACP, Temple ACMS, and the Drexel IMS progams.

My stats:

I have been told that SMP's are mostly for those who have lower GPAs and that it would possibly hurt me if I don't do well in them. Is this true? Has anyone had a similar experience? I am just trying to explore every option out there before I decide what to do

No SMPs would not help you. Look at applying very early and broadly next cycle and maybe buy a medical interview tips book.

My stats:

Do not do an SMP. Apply earlier to more schools next time. Work on your presentation skills, preferably by working at a job in a professional capacity with responsibility (which includes phone sales or waiting tables, if needed).

Best of luck to you.