Worth waiting for step 2 scores to come out before submitting eras

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mplee79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If i think i improved considerably with step 2 (from step 1) would it be worth my while to wait to submit my eras?

In other words, in selecting applicants for an interview, do programs do a single pass with the application or is it an ongoing process as things update. I'm guessing that certain programs wouldn't give my low-average step 1 scores the time of day and stick my app in the recycle bin (and never see my step 2).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From looking at the "track application" on ERAS, it seems that programs update the USMLE transcript once a new one is available, and your app may be reviewed again. Sending an application in early shows that you are truly interested in the program and that you are on top of things. I think once you get your higher step 2 score, you can call the programs and remind them of the changes in your application if you did not receive an interview. I would not wait until mid-october to send apps in esp. if applying to competitive fields or programs. The benefit of having a higher step 2 may not be as helpful when submitting then.