Worth releasing Step 2 scores ever....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasPhysician

Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an AMG with good Step 1 scores, what is the reason for ever releasing my Step II scores (I haven't taken it yet). I have a friend applying ortho (with really good interview invites already), and he doesn't even take step II until end of February! He will almost match by the time he gets his scores.

If I am plenty happy with the interviews I've received, is there a downside to not releasing my Step II?

Just curious if this step has a real purpose in residency director's eyes or not. Surely they don't worry about AMG students not passing it by the time they matriculate there. 94+% of AMG's pass the first time (even higher if you didn't need to repeat step 1).

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the program. Some PD like to see these scores... but really WIDE variation in who cares and who does not.

As an AMG with good Step 1 scores, what is the reason for ever releasing my Step II scores (I haven't taken it yet). I have a friend applying ortho (with really good interview invites already), and he doesn't even take step II until end of February! He will almost match by the time he gets his scores.

If I am plenty happy with the interviews I've received, is there a downside to not releasing my Step II?

Just curious if this step has a real purpose in residency director's eyes or not. Surely they don't worry about AMG students not passing it by the time they matriculate there. 94+% of AMG's pass the first time (even higher if you didn't need to repeat step 1).

I think it really only matters if you applied to one of the programs that requires passing both parts of Step 2 before ranking. The only programs that I know for sure have this requirement are UCSF and the Oklahoma programs. I'm guessing there are a few others, but it's not the norm right now.

I was a up in the air on this one and went ahead and signed up for CK in November just because I'd rather get it done with. I did check the thing in ERAS not to release my scores automatically. I guess I'll wait to making the decision about releasing until I get my scores.

I think it really only matters if you applied to one of the programs that requires passing both parts of Step 2 before ranking. The only programs that I know for sure have this requirement are UCSF and the Oklahoma programs. I'm guessing there are a few others, but it's not the norm right now.

I was a up in the air on this one and went ahead and signed up for CK in November just because I'd rather get it done with. I did check the thing in ERAS not to release my scores automatically. I guess I'll wait to making the decision about releasing until I get my scores.

Good to know. I also made sure to check that box. If I do better than Step I, obviously it is a no-brainer, but if it is lower for some reason, I don't see why people would hurt themselves by releasing it....? Unless you want to go to UCSF or OK apparently.

I was just really surprised when my buddy told me he wasn't taking it until February (and he's applying only ortho). If it doesn't hurt him, surely it couldn't hurt me that badly in psych right? :xf:

I signed up to automatically release it. My reasoning was that if program directors are trying to decide between 2+ applicants in offering interviews or ranking after interviews, and all other factors are equal, they might use the assurance of passing scores as a tiebreaker of sorts. I don't have my CK score back (I think it gets released 10/7), but I'm pretty certain I passed.

I signed up to automatically release it. My reasoning was that if program directors are trying to decide between 2+ applicants in offering interviews or ranking after interviews, and all other factors are equal, they might use the assurance of passing scores as a tiebreaker of sorts. I don't have my CK score back (I think it gets released 10/7), but I'm pretty certain I passed.

I can understand releasing it, but I can't understand automatically releasing.

I guess I'm too neurotic

I guess I thought that if you didn't sign up to automatically release it, programs would be aware of this (and possibly think you have something to hide). Maybe that was a misconception.

I guess I thought that if you didn't sign up to automatically release it, programs would be aware of this (and possibly think you have something to hide). Maybe that was a misconception.

I'm not sure if programs will even know.....but since almost everyone "hides" it now, it shouldn't do you any harm.

I'm not sure if programs will even know.....but since almost everyone "hides" it now, it shouldn't do you any harm.

Don't you think it will come up during the interview? Won't they ask "Did you take step II?" and " how did you do?"???

If you say that you haven't taken it, and they find out later that you did (when you do release it) that can be a red flag on honesty.

Don't you think it will come up during the interview? Won't they ask "Did you take step II?" and " how did you do?"???

If you say that you haven't taken it, and they find out later that you did (when you do release it) that can be a red flag on honesty.

Obviously if you end up lying to programs, you might want to wait until after match day to release the scores.

I'm not saying I would do this. I usually do very well on tests. It just seems like the best option to match at a quality program given the circumstances I mentioned.

Obviously if you end up lying to programs, you might want to wait until after match day to release the scores.

I'm not saying I would do this. I usually do very well on tests. It just seems like the best option to match at a quality program given the circumstances I mentioned.

So we don't have to release the score before the match day, at least theoretically??