ERAS and authorizing the release of birthdate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

millie225

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a very non-traditional student applying to residency now. Do I need to authorize the release of my birth date on ERAS? I don't want to seem sketchy, but I also don't want programs to judge me for being too "old." Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Seems pretty sketchy.

But if it's part of the CAF (it's been over a decade since I filled out ERAS so I don't remember) it will be visible once you submit.

Honestly, nobody will care. You're already in/through med school. Assuming you're not gunning for pediatric neurosurgery or some other 9+ year training path you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally don't pay that much attention to birthdate unless you've pointed it out extensively in your PS or you have activities from the 1970's/etc listed.

Hi, I'm a very non-traditional student applying to residency now. Do I need to authorize the release of my birth date on ERAS? I don't want to seem sketchy, but I also don't want programs to judge me for being too "old." Thanks for any advice!
Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. I graduated one at age 50 a few years ago, and she's an attending in Southern Cali now.

I didn't realize you could decline to release it.

In any case, many programs screen information like that -- I can't see DOB, race/ethnicity, or other sensitive info until after the match is complete. We screen photos until interview decisions are done. This is program specific, each can choose what they specifically don't want released (i.e. there's nothing you do)

Reactions: 1 users