Worth it? Kaplan Review Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverDream94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who paid for the Kaplan OAT review course (over 1k I believe) was it worth it? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it was 100% worth it for me. If you're super committed and have good self discipline, I think you could do well without paying for a course. However, the course forces you to stay on top of your studies and has a money back guarantee. I ultimately ended up choosing the course because I didn't want to have to write it twice if I did poorly the first time (its over $500 each time you write it). I was originally planning on studying by myself with the kaplan books, but the course itself was SO helpful with hints, tips and tricks for success. My advice is to do the self paced online (cheapest option) and wait for a discount code to become available. I saved $200 with the coupon I believe. I think that the online practice tests are the absolute best way to prepare for the real thing, and Kaplan's practice test format is identical to the real one. Also, Kaplan's questions are usually harder than the real OAT's, so you'll be extra prepared for the real test. (for reference did the course over 3 months while I was working part time, and I scored 370AA/380TS)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I would totally recommend it especially in-person. It made me stay on track and kept me on schedule. Worth every penny! 380TS360AA

YAS! I scored a 360 just using that.

Reactions: 1 user
I think there are better options out there... but depending on how well you utilize the program it can help you. They go over a lot of information that wasn't even in the same realm of questions that were on my actual OAT, but that leaves little room for topics that you won't see covered which is a plus too. If I could go back I would choose a different option.

I didn't pay for the entire course itself, but I did use their review book as my main study guide. If I felt like there were topics that weren't covered too well, I used online resources (Chad's Videos on coursesaver were really helpful). Like everyone else has mentioned, it really depends on your study habits: if you're disciplined enough to study consistently on your own, I don't think paying $1K for the course is worth, but if you do need a set schedule and structured classes, then you're probably better off doing the course.

YES, it is definitely worth it. They give you all the materials you need to succeed.
I took the online course (cheapest option)
The course comes with a huge textbook with informative notes that you read before attending the lectures. When you attend the lectures, they emphasize the material and provide you with STRATEGIES to approach the questions.
You also get a writing pad and pen to do the practice exams on to do the 5 exams that are provided
Flashcards are also provided but I didn't use it
If you don't do well on the OAT the first round, you can renew your kaplan membership for another 3 months for free!
Worth it
But if it's out of your price range i do recommend chad's video

Reactions: 1 user