Worst/Funniest Interview Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
time to rejuvenate this

At my first interview...

Interviewer asked something that lead to my research.. keep in mind they are a surgeon

Me: yada yada yada... I worked a lot with animals and this is a little gross but I'd remove their brains and other organs... yada yada (I immediately realized how stupid I sounded speaking to an MD, let alone a surgeon and saying that it was a little gross)
Interviewer: Trust me I'm a surgeon, I'm used to it

He was very nice though and laughed it off haha but I definitely cringed internally
We all find something to kick ourselves for. You showed personality lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Awesome. I managed to restrain myself from saying “you too” last time I was at the movies and the concession person told me to enjoy the movie.

I’ve done that so many times. It’s embarassing but hey, it’s a habit haha

Reactions: 1 user
The issue here isn't that the person couldn't help out in Haiti, it's the attitude of "let them die." Certainly you have to consider your personal circumstances before you go running off to volunteer somewhere, but as a doctor your should still have compassion for the people suffering.
Lol I wouldn’t have the guts to roll my eyes at an interviewer... that’s ballsy

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed for an engineering internship once and they asked me how I would describe myself. I answered by saying that my friends have told me that I have a “Taco Bell personality.”

I interviewed for an engineering internship once and they asked me how I would describe myself. I answered by saying that my friends have told me that I have a “Taco Bell personality.”

You’re only enjoyable when the other person is drunk? Or that you give people the runs?

Reactions: 15 users
Hahaha, this is why it was a bad answer! It was supposed to mean fun/light-hearted/laid back, etc but it was clearly not the best way to describe it...

This isn't really a worst interview answer but during one of my interviews, my interviewer asked me about a mistake I made (at a job I had) and I laughed before I could stop myself (it was a funny mistake). He ended up smiling and saying the fact that you laughed means you learned something from it so it ended up turning out all good. Made me respect him a lot because I could easily see others getting annoyed or seeing my response negatively.

Now at a completely different interview when asked about a challenge for some reason instead of going with my standard story that I used for most secondaries I blurted out about a few years back when I had issues with a stalker. From there it was just a very awkward explanation and that interview quickly went down the drain. Not sure where that came from haha luckily it was at the school I was least excited about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Asked for the three people I would have dinner with. . This is a pretty standard question I think so I should have had an answer prepared but I didn't. Had two good answers and for the third said Obama. Truth is I love the guy but that was way too political of an answer, yikes

Asked for the three people I would have dinner with. . This is a pretty standard question I think so I should have had an answer prepared but I didn't. Had two good answers and for the third said Obama. Truth is I love the guy but that was way too political of an answer, yikes

I got this question and I was totally thrown off guard. I was not expecting it, not sure why but I never really saw it coming. I ended up saying I'd choose random strangers from hundreds of years ago and sit down with them to see how different life was back then. I felt like it was a weak answer on my part but it led us to another conversation so hopefully wasn't terrible.

I don’t think that’s a bad answer.

Reactions: 5 users
I got this question and I was totally thrown off guard. I was not expecting it, not sure why but I never really saw it coming. I ended up saying I'd choose random strangers from hundreds of years ago and sit down with them to see how different life was back then. I felt like it was a weak answer on my part but it led us to another conversation so hopefully wasn't terrible.

I haven’t been asked that, but my answer would be similar. I’ve always been really interested in how the average Roman or Ancient Greek citizen lived. What the early colonies were like for regular people. Etc.

Bumping my favorite thread with my cringeworthy interview experience...
After the end of my interview I shook my interviewer's hand and while we continued to exchange pleasantries I reached for the door handle but was out of reach and completely missed the handle. So I turn to the door and gave my full attention towards opening the door, but I missed the handle again. I was starting to get flushed from being embarrassed, cracked a little joke about not being able to open the door, and I reached to open the door again. And missed. I unsuccessfully tried THREE times to open the door (and not in a norman door kind of way... in a way that a sane person would question my ability to function normally). To top it off, my interviewer was an ophthalmologist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
After the end of my interview I shook my interviewer's hand and while we continued to exchange pleasantries I reached for the door handle but was out of reach and completely missed the handle. So I turn to the door and gave my full attention towards opening the door, but I missed the handle again. I was starting to get flushed from being embarrassed, cracked a little joke about not being able to open the door, and I reached to open the door again. And missed. I unsuccessfully tried THREE times to open the door (and not in a norman door kind of way... in a way that a sane person would question my ability to function normally). To top it off, my interviewer was an ophthalmologist.
This might make for an interesting Adcom meeting.

This didn't occur during the actual interview but it happened while I was speaking with a fellow interviewee beforehand.

Me: Hi! I'm Bullmoose. How are you?
Him: I'm well, how are you?
Me: Good, how about you?? *beams smile at him*
Him: *looks blankly at me*

He didn't speak to me again for the rest of the interview and I don't blame him.

Reactions: 15 users
This didn't occur during the actual interview but it happened while I was speaking with a fellow interviewee beforehand.

Me: Hi! I'm Bullmoose. How are you?
Him: I'm well, how are you?
Me: Good, how about you?? *beams smile at him*
Him: *looks blankly at me*

He didn't speak to me again for the rest of the interview and I don't blame him.

He sounds like an dingus. I would have laughed and been your interview friend.

He sounds like an dingus. I would have laughed and been your interview friend.

haha thanks man. to be fair, he mostly just kept to himself throughout the entire process. even when everyone else was talking and waiting for their turn to interview

Ha! Those are some good interview nerves right there ;) I have so many derpy stories like that hahaha.

The way this story was starting out, I actually thought it was going to go a bit differently. It sounded JUST like something that happened to me on the interview trail (where the funniest part began with a handshake). I hadn't shared the story here because it didn't fit under "worst interview answers" on my part..... but it definitely fit under worst interview experience! I feel like y'all need to hear the story. :D

So I was interviewing for an MD/PhD program. The interview started with a small discussion about my research. The interviewer then dug into a very small portion of the research that our sequence core really handles (rather than my own lab) and asked a specific mechanistic question about how they test samples. I knew though that I should be prepared to explain things even if I didn't do them myself, so fortunately, I felt like I could say something at least slightly intelligent. However, the interviewer just kept repeating the question. There was a language barrier between us, so I wasn't sure if that's what was happening, or if perhaps I wasn't giving the answer she wanted. Eventually she just 'told' me the answer (which was on a more basic level than what I was going for, so I responded with, "Oh I see, my apologies! Yes, I understand that ____) and elaborated just a tiny bit to show that I had some understanding of the subject rather than blindly agreeing and maybe looking naive. I felt like that was the best approach at the time.

I'm not sure if that is what set her off, but from there on.... it was a DISASTER. The interviewer spent the next 15-20 minutes telling me that I (personally) couldn't understand what was involved in PhD life and that I didn't get how hard it is to be a researcher. I kept my cool, let her just unload and tried to empathize, maybe once or twice tried to add in a few things like, "Absolutely, I can only imagine how hard it will be and I started to see some of those issues during my 4 years of research at X, but I am hoping I will continue to learn more about the challenges of the career if I have the opportunity to attend an MD/PhD program," while making sure I didn't come across as knowing it all about this career (because even a few years in, I definitely don't!!).

Eventually, the interviewer sighs and asks if I have any questions for her. I'm thinking, wow, this interview has been so weirdly negative -- I'll throw her a softball so that we can change things to a more positive tone! So I mention the great research facilities I had seen so far at my visit and ask what she sees as the strengths of the institution and the research. She essentially replies that she hates her job, thinks that the school doesn't support her field, feels isolated, etc. Yikes!!

I kept my composure entirely and knew I was doing all I could in the situation, so I felt comfortable with how I handled things even though it was a rather confrontational interview. Now, here's the part that fits in with your story above......

Finally, there is a knock on the door and the 30-minute interview is over. I reach my hand out to the interviewer while saying, "Thank you so much, Dr. X.... It was such a pleasure to meet with you and I really appreciate your time."

Her response? "Well, we didn't get to choose who we interviewed." :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Never in my life had I basically had an encounter that went, "It was so nice to meet you!" where the other person replied "Well I never wanted to meet you anyway!" :rofl:

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users
haha thanks man. to be fair, he mostly just kept to himself throughout the entire process. even when everyone else was talking and waiting for their turn to interview

Ah. Yeah there are always those types. I’m pretty introverted but I’ve been pretty conversational with other applicants at my interviews. It’s fun getting to know people.

Ha! Those are some good interview nerves right there ;) I have so many derpy stories like that hahaha.

The way this story was starting out, I actually thought it was going to go a bit differently. It sounded JUST like something that happened to me on the interview trail (where the funniest part began with a handshake). I hadn't shared the story here because it didn't fit under "worst interview answers" on my part..... but it definitely fit under worst interview experience! I feel like y'all need to hear the story. :D

So I was interviewing for an MD/PhD program. The interview started off by asking me about my research, which is classic. I answered her question. She then asked me about a very small portion of the research that was shipped off to another laboratory, and asked a very specific mechanistic question about how they tested my sample. I knew though that I should be prepared to explain things even if I didn't do them myself, so fortunately, I felt like I could answer this question at least to the best of my ability. However, the interviewer just kept repeating the question at me. There was a language barrier between the two of us, so I wasn't sure if that's what was happening, or if perhaps I wasn't giving the answer she was looking for. Eventually she just 'told' me the answer (which was on a more basic level than what I was trying to go for in my answer, so I responded with, "Oh I see, my apologies! Yes, I understand that ____) and I elaborated just a tiny bit to show that I saw my mistake and understood the subject a little. I felt like that was the right approach at the time.

I'm not sure if that is what set her off, but from there on.... the interview was a DISASTER. The interviewer spent the next 15-20 minutes telling me that I personally couldn't understand what was involved in PhD life and that I didn't know how to be a researcher. It was very strange/uncomfortable. I kept my cool, let her just unload and tried to emphasize, maybe once or twice tried to add in a few things like, "Absolutely, I can only imagine how hard it will be and I started to see some of those issues during my 4 years of research at X, but I am hoping I will continue to learn more about the career and how I can improve if I have the opportunity to attend an MD/PhD program," while making sure I didn't come across as knowing it all about this career (because even a few years in, I definitely don't!!).

Eventually, the interviewer sighs and asks if I have any questions for her. I'm thinking, wow, this interview has been so weirdly negative -- I'll throw her a softball so that we can change things to a more positive tone! So I mention the great research facilities I had seen so far at my visit and ask what she saw as the strengths of the institution and the research. She replies essentially that she hates her job, feels that the school doesn't support her field, etc. Yikes!!

I kept my composure entirely and just knew I was doing all I could in the situation, so I felt comfortable with how I handled things. Now, here's the part that fits in with your story above......

So finally, there is a knock on the door and the interview is over. I reach my hand out to the interviewer while saying, "Thank you so much, Dr. X.... It was such a pleasure to meet with you and I really appreciate your time."

Her response? "Well, we didn't get to choose who we interviewed." :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Never in my life had I basically had an encounter that went, "It was so nice to meet you!" where the other person replied "Well I never wanted to meet you anyway!" :rofl:

Adding another post as a side note to say yes ----- I did end up very politely reporting this interviewer to the program director as he was asking me about my experience overall. I told him that I likely just caught her on a busy day, she seemed so nice and I think there was maybe a misunderstanding, etc. But the director was so thankful that I said something since it turns out this was the interviewer's first time interviewing -- I don't think she is doing so anymore!

Reactions: 6 users
First interview at a top choice

Interviewer: Tell me a time where you were at fault/did something wrong and what did you do" (This threw me off because it was an MMI station and we just talked about an ethical scenario)
Me: One of my students called me racist when she got the answer wrong during a jeopardy review game and I didn't know what to do and froze (I'm a career changer - former teacher)
Brain: :eek:
Me: *Quickly turned it around somehow about how I was working with students from a different background and I should have addressed it quickly, I spoke with student the next day to see if there was something in my behavior that made her feel that way and we were able to clear it up*

Either way it was a horrible example to bring up and I wanted to die on the spot:unsure: My interviewer's eyes went slightly big at first but then seemed pleased with my explanation towards the end. (I think)

Will update if I get hit with the R :smack:

Reactions: 2 users

So I was interviewing for an MD/PhD program. The interview started with a small discussion about my research. The interviewer then dug into a very small portion of the research that our sequence core really handles (rather than my own lab) and asked a specific mechanistic question about how they test samples. I knew though that I should be prepared to explain things even if I didn't do them myself, so fortunately, I felt like I could say something at least slightly intelligent. However, the interviewer just kept repeating the question. There was a language barrier between us, so I wasn't sure if that's what was happening, or if perhaps I wasn't giving the answer she wanted. Eventually she just 'told' me the answer (which was on a more basic level than what I was going for, so I responded with, "Oh I see, my apologies! Yes, I understand that ____) and elaborated just a tiny bit to show that I had some understanding of the subject rather than blindly agreeing and maybe looking naive. I felt like that was the best approach at the time.

I'm not sure if that is what set her off, but from there on.... it was a DISASTER. The interviewer spent the next 15-20 minutes telling me that I (personally) couldn't understand what was involved in PhD life and that I didn't get how hard it is to be a researcher. I kept my cool, let her just unload and tried to empathize, maybe once or twice tried to add in a few things like, "Absolutely, I can only imagine how hard it will be and I started to see some of those issues during my 4 years of research at X, but I am hoping I will continue to learn more about the challenges of the career if I have the opportunity to attend an MD/PhD program," while making sure I didn't come across as knowing it all about this career (because even a few years in, I definitely don't!!).

Eventually, the interviewer sighs and asks if I have any questions for her. I'm thinking, wow, this interview has been so weirdly negative -- I'll throw her a softball so that we can change things to a more positive tone! So I mention the great research facilities I had seen so far at my visit and ask what she sees as the strengths of the institution and the research. She essentially replies that she hates her job, thinks that the school doesn't support her field, feels isolated, etc. Yikes!!

I kept my composure entirely and knew I was doing all I could in the situation, so I felt comfortable with how I handled things even though it was a rather confrontational interview. Now, here's the part that fits in with your story above......

Finally, there is a knock on the door and the 30-minute interview is over. I reach my hand out to the interviewer while saying, "Thank you so much, Dr. X.... It was such a pleasure to meet with you and I really appreciate your time."

I'm getting the vibe from your story that this was a very bitter person, and that last crack at you was VERY unprofessional.

Please report her to the Admissions dean, because it's the only way the system can be cleansed of bad interviewers.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm getting the vibe from your story that this was a very bitter person, and that last crack at you was VERY unprofessional.

Please report her to the Admissions dean, because it's the only way the system can be cleansed of bad interviewers.

I did indeed report her! Sorry, I followed up with a second post on this forum to mention that, but it wasn't in the first post you quoted here. This was a few years ago now, and I highly doubt this person is interviewing students anymore. :/

Immediately after this interview, when I was trying to decide whether I should do/say something, I actually thought of your posts in particular that have encouraged students to report inappropriate interviewers. I'm super shy/hesitant to do something like that, but thankfully the director at this program did an "exit interview" with all of us and he just happened to mention that researcher, so I was able to bring it up gracefully. The director felt awful about it and it definitely didn't represent the other great things I saw from that school!

Thanks for all of your advice on here over the years, @Goro!!

Last edited:
I did indeed report her! Sorry, I followed up with a second post on this forum to mention that, but it wasn't in the first post you quoted here. This was a few years ago now, and I highly doubt this person is interviewing students anymore. :/

Immediately after this interview, when I was trying to decide whether I should do/say something, I actually thought of your posts in particular that have encouraged students to report inappropriate interviewers. I'm super shy/hesitant to do something like that, but thankfully the director at this program did an "exit interview" with all of us and he just happened to mention that researcher, so I was able to bring it up gracefully. The director felt awful about it and it definitely didn't represent the other great things I saw from that school!

You did the right thing!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I feel like that interview messed you up. The interviewer didn't like you, she was unprofessional the whole time, and I'm willing to bet she won't be happy that you snitched on her (I know the director will keep your identity anonymous but still). The interview plays a part in whether or not you get accepted and I think your interviewer butched yours.

This isn’t an interview answer, but I felt bad for the guy. First, it is vital to the story that I tell you this part. The school asked that we park either in the front or side of the building for our interviews. Easy enough.

Now, we have all found our parking spots, getting to know one another, and having a pretty good time. A few presentations later, a gentleman walked in and asked “Who’s car is parked in the dean’s parking spot.” All I could think was “Please, don’t let it be any of the students sitting here.”

Lo and behold, the guy in front of me raises his hand. Later he asked to move it, but they told us were going to be occupied with interviews. I would have felt bad the rest of the day, but this guy recovered and sounded like he done well. Anyways, just figured I would share this gem with everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
A *****ic incident from back in my med school interview days:

I was interviewing at a school in the northern latitudes after a big snow. I'm driving around a parking lot, can't find any spots, but see another parking lot just up a little road with some open spots. I turn up the little road which has a coating of snow/ice over it. A maintenance guy is walking towards me on a sidewalk branching from the road and waves me down. He goes "you can't drive on this!" I said "oh sorry, I didn't see a sign or anything, I'm just trying to get to that parking lot over there." He says "This is a SIDEWALK." I just couldn't tell because it was super wide and covered with snow! I almost died on the spot.
de9cce0b586d5533bd7462aa19e7aa3d.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Interviewer: why our school?

Me: your school is a great fit...

Interviewer: ....BECAUSE....

Me: *pause* ...because etc.

Got accepted tho lmao

Another story

Ínterviewer: why our school?

Me: *blanks on the 3000 good reasons I thought of yesterday* it has a great reputation

Interviewer: *blank stare*

Lmao she liked me before that too I really ****ed it up goodbye school

I was interviewing at a school in the northern latitudes after a big snow. I'm driving around a parking lot, can't find any spots, but see another parking lot just up a little road with some open spots. I turn up the little road which has a coating of snow/ice over it. A maintenance guy is walking towards me on a sidewalk branching from the road and waves me down. He goes "you can't drive on this!" I said "oh sorry, I didn't see a sign or anything, I'm just trying to get to that parking lot over there." He says "This is a SIDEWALK." I just couldn't tell because it was super wide and covered with snow! I almost died on the spot.

Hahaha the snow is my downfall. Coming from a place with little to no snow, I would do the exact same lol.

First question my interviewer asked me:
Interviewer: "So I read your statement and I just still don't really understand why you've chosen to do medicine specifically.... could you explain that to me?"
Me, absolutely horrified: :wow:

I then proceeded to babble for a bit and then the interviewer asked AGAIN for me to clarify. Thankfully at this point I'd collected my wits enough to remember that I should start talking about my clinical experiences and I kind of got back on track, and the rest of the interview went great (as far as I can tell), but oh man that was a stressful way to start the interview off.

Haha! I grew up in Best Dakota and I have definitely done things like this before. ("I could have SWORN there these two adjacent parking lots were connected! Oh well, now my tire tracks through this field will be a reminder of my idiocy until the spring thaw.")

Reactions: 5 users
Haha! I grew up in Best Dakota and I have definitely done things like this before. ("I could have SWORN there these two adjacent parking lots were connected! Oh well, now my tire tracks through this field will be a reminder of my idiocy until the spring thaw.")

And an inadvertent advertisement for others to drive through that field ;)

This isn't a funny one just a really bad/cringe answer I gave. The question was something about service and how my service experiences prepared me for some of the personal sacrifices I would have to make as a doctor. My answer started off great (i think) until i said something along the lines of "while i could be enjoying my saturday morning with my friends I've been doing so and so" then i realized what i Said makes it sound like i don't enjoy what ii was doing so i Said "not that i dont enjoy so and so..." I then mentally cringed at how bad it sounded and went on to connect it to how a doctor will many times need to prioritize their patients and it might mean sacrificing personal time or even family time.

That middle part i think ruined my entire answer though and especially because i realized what i had said and tried to come back from it making it even more obvious :confused:

Wasn't very excited with the school anyways (great school but didn't feel like the right fit for me) so not too sad about it haha.

Booting this thread up for the new cycle.

Interviewer: So where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Me: Well it's hard for me to say, since I don't how my priorities and interests will change as I go through medical school and residency. There's really so much I haven't experienced that I don't know where I'll end up.

I didn't know this was a common question and wasn't prepared... I hope this didn't make me look too dumb

In another interview -
Interviewer: After spending most of the day here, what do you like the most about our school?
Me: The lunch! (clearly a joke)
Interviewer: (doesn't say anything and stares at me with straight face)

Jokes - always a risky venture!!! You never know this interviewer may have personal grief with catering at the institution!

Bumping this to say I got quizzed on DSLR photography at an interview 2 weeks ago. (I put down photography as a hobby on AMCAS, but wasn't making any grand claims about how much I knew, specifically, just that I did photos for free for student groups whenever someone requested. Not a lot of time put into it at all, maybe 25-50 hours maximum.)

My interviewer proceeded to ask me to define "aperture", "exposure", "shutter speed", then asked "what happens when you decrease both aperture and shutter speed". I said it decreases the depth of field, and I must've gotten it wrong (the depth of field possibly increases?..) He then said, "Guess you didn't know as much about photography as you said you did on your app! :)" I wonder if he thought I was lying. Farewell to my state school...I loved you so...

I had something like that happen with poetry (i like to write it, dont read it so much) but i saved myself by just saying im not too familiar with all the old poets and started talking about the stuff i wrote. My interviewer seemed fine with it and then mentioned there was a poetry museum nearby i should check out so at least he wasn't being a **** like yours was...

I had something like that happen with poetry (i like to write it, dont read it so much) but i saved myself by just saying im not too familiar with all the old poets and started talking about the stuff i wrote. My interviewer seemed fine with it and then mentioned there was a poetry museum nearby i should check out so at least he wasn't being a **** like yours was...

One of my interviewers asked me for a lot of detail on my writing process and how I come up with characters, plot, etc. He seemed to like my answers, as we talked about writing for a long time. But I sort of put my foot in my mouth and said that if I take a break from a story, I usually just throw it away because I have a hard time getting back into the groove. After the interview, I was like, "****, he could take that to mean that I can't commit," lol. Oh well.

Is Best Dakota located between North and South Dakota?

One of my interviewers asked me for a lot of detail on my writing process and how I come up with characters, plot, etc. He seemed to like my answers, as we talked about writing for a long time. But I sort of put my foot in my mouth and said that if I take a break from a story, I usually just throw it away because I have a hard time getting back into the groove. After the interview, I was like, "****, he could take that to mean that I can't commit," lol. Oh well.

I've had moments like that where I'm just like "it was going so well, why did I have to add that..." haha

Reactions: 4 users
At the end of one interview day, another interviewee I had not spoken to all day asked me out in front of the rest of the interviewees. And the admissions staff. It was mortifying. But at least I got in...?

Reactions: 12 users
At an MMI for a school in Cali, at a station where we had to draw things and I said this as I was walking out of the station after some awkward silence.

Me: Hey, make sure you guys frame those pictures I drew!
Interviewer: Or we can put them up on YouTube....
Me: :eek:

Result: Accepted!!

At an MMI for a school in Cali, at a station where we had to draw things and I said this as I was walking out of the station after some awkward silence.

Me: Hey, make sure you guys frame those pictures I drew!
Interviewer: Or we can put them up on YouTube....
Me: :eek:

Result: Accepted!!

If that’s the worst thing you did or said at an interview, then you’re fine. That doesn’t really qualify lol.

Interviewer: So what's your morning routine usually like?
Me: *Explains morning routine and goes on to explain what I do at work...*
Interviewer: Ok let's back up a second you are getting ahead of me

*2 Minutes Later*

Interviewer: So tell me about your job
Me: *Explains what I do at my job but somehow forgets to say what my company does*
Interviewer: Ok so that's good.... what services does your company provide?

I swear I have good communication skills!! I just messed up because I was nervous :bang::bang:

What was the end result? I honestly don't think you were doing that bad. Granted I wasn't there, but it seemed like you answered exactly what he asked haha...