Other Impactful Experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triedtowalk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting started on my AMCAS application and have reached the OIE essay. I am aware that this essay is entirely optional, and am debating whether or not to include a childhood experience.

It sort of centers around me being Afro-Latino, and never really feeling like I could identify with African-Americans (my native language is Spanish, I grew up immersed in Latin-American culture) while at the same time never really feeling like I could wholly identify with other Latinos (you'd never know I was Hispanic unless you heard me speak, the kids in my transitional bilingual education classes often made fun of my dark skin). As I grew up, this experience developed my empathy for others who might feel out-of-place, and I like to think that I acted on this during college where I worked to mentor first-year Black student-athletes.

I'm afraid, though, that this might be shallow. Would an essay about the above be flippant in comparison to the much more tangible experiences (sickness, finances, etc.) other applicants might have?

Members don't see this ad.

The admissions team at Larner/Vermont has reported (abstract to NAAHP conference) that this past cycle:
"At the Larner College of Medicine, the change resulted in an 87% increase of applicants filling out this section. The significant increase has provided contextual information that is essential for Holistic Review of applicants. This session will provide attendees with thematic analysis of information applicants provided to the Larner COM."

Because it is the same length as a MME, approach OIE similarly. I would encourage you to try based on what you described.

Reactions: 1 user