Worse part of Rad Onc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shiner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time reader, 1st time post:

For all the current residents, what is the worse part of radiation oncology?

The patients? The attendings? The hours? Contouring? Consults? etc.

Thanks,

-S

Members don't see this ad.

There is no "worst" part ;)

Seriously --- most people in this field (that I've met at least) feel the same way. A bad day of radiation oncology beats the best day in any other field IMO (of course, that's why we're all in this field). I love what I do, the patients, the hours, the technology, yada yada yada...

The application process. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Treating young patients with very miserable prognosis.

For example irresectable Glioblastoma in central regions in a 30 year old.

Treating young patients with very miserable prognosis.

For example irresectable Glioblastoma in central regions in a 30 year old.

True. I feel similar about certain peds cases too.

The positive side I see though is that we can offer good palliation (and hopefully an improved QOL) in cases where we cannot cure. A patient who can spend their remaining days pain-free and/or with a good neurologic status gives me a sense of satisfaction

Last edited:
True. I feel similar about certain peds cases too.
Very good point.
I was managing a 7 year old who was planned for local adjuvant radiation therapy for Ewing sarcoma and whole lung irradiation. He devloped progressive disease under chemotherapy with multiple metastases.
We decided to quit curative treatment and resort to BSC.
That depressed me for a whole week and I still think of the boy now and then.

The positive side I see though is that we can offer good palliation (and hopefully an improved QOL) in cases where we cannot cure. A patient who can spend their remaining days pain-free and/or with a good neurologic status gives me a sense of satisfaction
That's true. It's a lot more satisfactory than treating the Xth breast cancer with adjuvant radiation therapy after BCS. The same can be said for some brain metastases patients, who seem to perform better soon after WBRT or SRS/SFS.

The worst part?

Not much interaction with young nurses. ;)