Worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podstudent18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am a first year student at KSUCPM. I am in need of some serious advice. I am really worried about failing my anatomy class. I barely passed my first exam and failed horribly on my 2nd exam. I have to get a high B/low A on my last exam to pass anatomy without the curve that everyone mentions. What is the remediation process like? Anyone here been through this situation or know of anyone that has?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone I am a first year student at KSUCPM. I am in need of some serious advice. I am really worried about failing my anatomy class. I barely passed my first exam and failed horribly on my 2nd exam. I have to get a high B/low A on my last exam to pass anatomy without the curve that everyone mentions. What is the remediation process like? Anyone here been through this situation or know of anyone that has?

You need to go to your dean and talk to him/her about these issues. You should also be speaking to your professor and getting extra help so that you have chance at earning an A on the last exam. I don't think we can give you much more advice than that. You might get an SDN pity party though.

There are students that fail courses every year and you should have already been given the student handbook that says what happens to those that do not to meet the standards of the school. Every pod program is required to give out a handbook (hard copy or electronic) and you probably have it in your orientation materials. It is your responsibility to know and meet the standards of the school. I hope you can get some help and get passed this hurdle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take advantage tutoring sessions and open lab. Critically examine your study habits/methods and figure out what you could be doing differently. When I took gross anatomy I didn't do very well because I had barely gone through the material 2 or 3 times before the exam. In lower anatomy I did very well and I went over the material 8-10 times before the test.

I'm a first year as well and so far I am doing pretty well, so hopefully I can help you out. I'm assuming you have a written exam and a practical exam for gross anatomy. For the written section I downloaded these anatomy textbooks: BRS Gross Anatomy and Moore's Clinical Anatomy. Read through your dissection guide and answer the questions from lab/lecture while you're reading the textbook, while also trying to take good notes/flashcards as you go. The most important aspect of the written portion is taking practice exam questions from the BRS book after you have read the material. If your tests have been more clinically oriented then try to understand those aspects (as in read everything you can about those pathologies online and in your textbooks), if your tests have been more origin/insertion/function/innervation oriented then make flashcards on quizlet and study them everyday. Also try to draw out relationships on a blank sheet of paper from memory, print out a skeleton and draw the pathways of nerves, arteries, and muscle insertions with markers. For the brachial plexus I printed out a blank brachial plexus and covered it in a sheet protector, then used a dry erase marker & eraser to fill it out over and over again. Repetition is the key. For the practical I have a Netter's Color Atlas and Rohen's Color Atlas. I don't really like the Netter's because it is not accurate in most of our cadavers and some of the pages can be overwhelming. Before every lab look up all possible identifiable structures in the Rohen's atlas, then take your time in lab to find everything again. At this point for you I would recommend going into lab every single night if you can (at least you can at our school). It might be beneficial to go in with a friend and quiz each other. Also I would recommend watching anatomy dissection videos on youtube. I found this website very helpful for written and practical exams: http://www.med.umich.edu/lrc/coursepages/m1/anatomy2010/html/courseinfo/mich_quiz_index.html If you can answer all the BRS anatomy questions and those UMich practical questions then you will most definitely get an A on the last exam. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Supporting podstudent18. The anatomy teacher is a smart guy and stuff, but teaching the material it doesn't always come across that well to us students. Sure not every teacher is perfect in the world, but he stands out from the other professors in our school... and not in a good way. No other class has been this much of a struggle and us students spend MOST of our time on anatomy. What makes it worse is that it shows he is getting up there in age. He isn't very well organized (ex: like one person in my class said the professor will talk about something that isn't on his slides and then later when the slide comes up it will be about what he talked about 20 minutes ago), his notes are terrible to the point where you just write everything he is saying, draws horrible diagrams that are hard to read and follow (you'd think after all of his years in teaching he'd just simply post neat diagrams that he could reuse instead of making sloppy drawings on the spot) to the point it is scribbling all over a screen, and you notice old age affecting him as he will constantly correct himself about a word he just said, students who had him before will tell you he is inconsistent with what he says to the class. Its not meant to make fun of the teacher but when you see wide scale class grades suffering and see the curve being such a big deal... you come off feeling (besides depressed and frustrated) his teaching ability leaves alot to be desired. Also, having two teachers alternate back and forth kind of makes things tough as you just wish you had one teacher the whole way. You also wonder if our "main teacher" is just better off teaching at the dental school and our school just having one person. Thankfully that painful experiment of the 3rd wheel TA teaching us stopped after the 1st exam. No other class comes even close to comparing to this situation. I looked to see what is written in the past on this forum. Here are some excerpts that I know bunch of us would nod and say yes:

"The Dr Landers (Anatomy professor) issue has been greatly debated before and you can probably find the threads still. I thought he was awesome at teaching, just unorganized."

“As of right now it seems very disorganized which makes material that is already complex even rougher.Instead we get the typical overreactive punishment. Hard practical exam tags for everyone.”

“Attendance has dropped so low that a few of the professors now have started to get pissed off or as one of the doctors just recently put it to us "Just a warning. From what I have heard from the rest of the faculty this morning, you guys are getting the reputation for being a class that doesn't attend your lectures."

“So guess what that translates into? That's right the profs start writing "punishment" exams similar to how the lab practical tags get tougher as participation drops. Yet another overreactive group punishment that effects the people that attend and put in the hard work.”

All these quotes above about our school from years past on this websites forums. Seeing that this a trend year after year.. you wonder if our school just sits back and does nothing about this without a care in the world. The school should realize we learn far far more from the anatomy tutors than the anatomy teacher and thats what helps students get through this... its to a ridiculous extreme. Also, I don't like our class representatives/student government cuz all they have done is just send out emails telling us we need to dissect more. Thats it. They haven't really expressed our concerns, represented us very well or spoke up for us.

So yeah... anatomy has really been a sore spot this semester. As one kid who took the course said welcome to anatomy at Kent State. You get the feeling the school thinks if we do poorly it will make us work harder, but looking around it actually has the opposite effect. And we aren't looking forward to taking neuro with him in the spring. Pray to survive and yes laugh at his dry jokes as much as you can...

Last edited:
Supporting podstudent18. The anatomy teacher is a smart guy and stuff, but teaching the material it doesn't always come across that well to us students. Sure not every teacher is perfect in the world, but he stands out from the other professors in our school... and not in a good way. No other class has been this much of a struggle and us students spend MOST of our time on anatomy. What makes it worse is that it shows he is getting up there in age. He isn't very well organized (ex: like one person in my class said the professor will talk about something that isn't on his slides and then later when the slide comes up it will be about what he talked about 20 minutes ago), his notes are terrible to the point where you just write everything he is saying, draws horrible diagrams that are hard to read and follow (you'd think after all of his years in teaching he'd just simply post neat diagrams that he could reuse instead of making sloppy drawings on the spot) to the point it is scribbling all over a screen, and you notice old age affecting him as he will constantly correct himself about a word he just said, students who had him before will tell you he is inconsistent with what he says to the class. Its not meant to make fun of the teacher but when you see wide scale class grades suffering and see the curve being such a big deal... you come off feeling (besides depressed and frustrated) his teaching ability leaves alot to be desired. Also, having two teachers alternate back and forth kind of makes things tough as you just wish you had one teacher the whole way. You also wonder if our "main teacher" is just better off teaching at the dental school and our school just having one person. Thankfully that painful experiment of the 3rd wheel TA teaching us stopped after the 1st exam. No other class comes even close to comparing to this situation. I looked to see what is written in the past on this forum. Here are some excerpts that I know bunch of us would nod and say yes:

"The Dr Landers (Anatomy professor) issue has been greatly debated before and you can probably find the threads still. I thought he was awesome at teaching, just unorganized."

“As of right now it seems very disorganized which makes material that is already complex even rougher.Instead we get the typical overreactive punishment. Hard practical exam tags for everyone.”

“Attendance has dropped so low that a few of the professors now have started to get pissed off or as one of the doctors just recently put it to us "Just a warning. From what I have heard from the rest of the faculty this morning, you guys are getting the reputation for being a class that doesn't attend your lectures."

“So guess what that translates into? That's right the profs start writing "punishment" exams similar to how the lab practical tags get tougher as participation drops. Yet another overreactive group punishment that effects the people that attend and put in the hard work.”

All these quotes above about our school from years past on this websites forums. Seeing that this a trend year after year.. you wonder if our school just sits back and does nothing about this without a care in the world. The school should realize we learn far far more from the anatomy tutors than the anatomy teacher and thats what helps students get through this... its to a ridiculous extreme. Also, I don't like our class representatives/student government cuz all they have done is just send out emails telling us we need to dissect more. Thats it. They haven't really expressed our concerns, represented us very well or spoke up for us.

So yeah... anatomy has really been a sore spot this semester. As one kid who took the course said welcome to anatomy at Kent State. You get the feeling the school thinks if we do poorly it will make us work harder, but looking around it actually has the opposite effect. And we aren't looking forward to taking neuro with him in the spring. Pray to survive and yes laugh at his dry jokes as much as you can...
I have NOT taken a course from this professor therefore you can take my opinion as you may.

Anatomy is VERY HARD. That is what it comes down to. Has anyone looked at the podiatry curricular guide for anatomy? The amount of information that has to be crammed into our heads before boards is overwhelming but necessary. At this point there isn't going to be a change of professors and the OP needs to concentrate on learning the material in a manageable way. Thieme was my best friend for 2 semesters. Pick your favorite study books and review everything over and over. You can never over prepare for an exam and anatomy is probably going to be the most important subject we have. Everything builds off of it.

Reactions: 2 users
I re-mediated anatomy my first year and missed out on the "summer break." It wasn't a highlight of my academics but it did put a fire under my ass. It's very easy to pass the remediation and you get a C. It's not the end if you fail a course.

Do you go to his school?

No I go to Temple. My advice should apply to all schools though even with that tough professor, which is an unfortunate circumstance. We kind of have the same problem with our physiology teacher, but BRS physiology and youtube have been a lifesaver. All I learned from undergrad was how to learn on my own and that's what everyone needs to do in podiatry school and not use the teacher as an excuse for doing poorly. Obviously you can't help how difficult he makes the exams but you can never overstudy for anatomy.

@LoneStarState Don't spend so much time slamming the professor, while he may be unorganized- he is still very thorough and knowledgeable. If his way of teaching doesn't fit your method of learning, find something that works for you. Generally the tutors are very good at telling you exactly what you need to know, and the lecture portions of the exams should be pretty straightforward. If you are struggling with general anatomy, then lower is going to be a nightmare for you next semester, even though the professor is EXTREMELY organized.

One thing I will say is that since they took away the review sessions for the exams, it might be worth it to review your test with the professor afterwords. This particular professor was NOTORIOUS for miskeying answers on the exams that would be caught by students in the review session, and then end up getting points back. So if no one is catching those miskeys at the review, it would be worth it to ask to see the exam with the professor...

Reactions: 1 user
You should be spending the most time on it, look how many hours its worth. Its worth 8! Just keep working hard and don't give up. We still have time before the last exam. At the end of the day it will only make you stronger, and hopefully a better future doctor. Keep At It :)

Reactions: 1 user
I don't wanna stress you out, but the third exam is the HARDEST exam in anatomy. His head and neck practical kills everyone's grades. Make sure you talk to him, if you have to fail this class, fail this class and study really hard for your other classes this semester so they don't kick you out. If you fail anatomy and another class, they will kick you out. If you fail anatomy this semester and fail another class next semester or in the summer, the school will kick you out. KSUCPM is not forgiving at all for failing 2 classes.

OP, you just need to hang in there. Does your school have an academic center that can assess your learning abilities and offer study tips tailored to your needs? I would definitely go there and see if they can help you. If not, then find a classmate who knows his/her stuff and have them teach you and quiz you on the material. If this is something you are not comfortable with then maybe find a TA that can walk you through the structures. Good luck!

It is unfortunate to here Anatomy is not going well. At Temple there were a handful in our class that failed and had to reexamine (they take a cumulative final in mid summer, and if you pass you get a 70% put on your transcript for the class)
I know nothing about the profs or anything at KSUCPM, but I would just really examine what went wrong. Are you missing fine detail, or broad concepts. Are you putting enough time in the lab and really learning the stuff or was it cramming the weekend before an exam. Not trying to be confrontational, but I do believe anyone has the ability to do respectfuly well in their classes I figure it is best to examine what might have gone wrong and address that so you do not go floundering through the remediation process.
On a side note, I always recommend lots of flash cards and get a good group to go into lab so you all can quiz each other. I feel the Q+A study process is more active learning and gives you a better indication of what you truly know and what you do not know.
Best of luck and do not hesitate to reach out for help. I think you can get through this.