worried that I failed COMLEX level II PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feeling-dizzy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took COMLEX PE first time today, and I feel so terrible. I feel that I could miss like 4 diagnosis and quite a few portions on the SOAP notes too. The more I think about it, the more mistakes I felt that I made. My school only allow 3 attempts at PE, then dismissal. I practiced with my wife only since no classmates live close to me; however it is just not the same since my wife is not med student. Can anyone recommend a good COMLEX level II PE prep course? I really worry about dismissal

Members don't see this ad.

Most people leave feeling like they failed but it has a pass rate over 90%. Do your best not to think about it until you get your result, and definitely don’t blow your money on a prep course until you know you have to.

Most people feel awful leaving that exam. Unless you are non English speaking/prone to poor communication or violated rules during the exam you have good odds of passing.

Save the freak out for an actual fail. Don’t think about it if possible

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people feel awful leaving that exam. Unless you are non English speaking/prone to poor communication or violated rules during the exam you have good odds of passing.

Save the freak out for an actual fail. Don’t think about it if possible
Actually I’m non English speaker with foreign accent. Came to USA when I was 16

So I just took COMLEX PE first time today, and I feel so terrible. I feel that I could miss like 4 diagnosis and quite a few portions on the SOAP notes too. The more I think about it, the more mistakes I felt that I made. My school only allow 3 attempts at PE, then dismissal. I practiced with my wife only since no classmates live close to me; however it is just not the same since my wife is not med student. Can anyone recommend a good COMLEX level II PE prep course? I really worry about dismissal
Only 3 attempts?! That's lenient dude. A total of any 2 board failures at my school and you're gone

If you really want a board prep course I have heard COMBANK offers a set of videos which can be helpful.

I understand English is not your primary language, however you do appear to have a good grasp of communication from what I can see so I would be less likely to worry.

Advice: wait. Focus on things you have control of and come back when you get your scores and tell us you passed. I think that’s the way it will play out for you.

I used the Kaufman videos and thought they were pretty helpful, he probably goes into more detail than you would need! that is IF you need them. I took it a few months ago and felt HORRIBLE. Many of my friends said they missed little things and passed but I felt like missed a lot. I passed. I forgot to do physicals on major things...more than once. I almost missed a diagnosis and only got it outside the room. I forgot to document things I had done because I was so nervous. I made many mistakes and I was ok! I know it is hard, but try not to worry too much!

Reactions: 1 users
So I promised myself that if I passed the PE I had to make a comment in here for others to look at...like I tried to when I thought I failed walking out. The test was one of the worst days I've had in a long time, and studying for Step/level 2 in the month after was impossible bc I thought I failed the PE for sure. Every time I thought about it my heart would start pounding and I would panic I was never going to finish medical school bc I suck at in-person exams. Not sure how much I can give away here while trying not to say anything that would cross the cheating policy or whatever but I'll try.
During the PE, my first patient was super vague and I was so nervous I was pretty much shaking, and I clearly did not know the diagnosis at all and put random differentials down. Another patient I didn't order any of the correct tests looking back and did super minimal work...like definitely should have ordered a stress test but only got lipid profile and told him to work out. Another person I spent probably 6 min with total bc they had an "emergency" situation and I was trying to act conscientious of this but in doing so did not ask nearly enough to rule in the diagnosis (it was just super obvious what it was). Furthermore, my notes were awful. While talking to patients, I wrote their positive and negative signs in a messed up order so when I was freaking out writing the note at the end I had to try and put all the positives and negatives together...which I noticed that I screwed up on one of my notes half way through and luckily fixed that one...but at that point i had no clue how many other times I may have done this and messed up. For every patient, I did not always tell them the tests I wanted to order or the most likely diagnosis or the treatment...I would do parts but not full. God, looking back I still have no clue how I passed and there is much more that I wish I could say but I would just give too much away about my particular patients. Either way, just want to say you're probably going to be okay no matter how bad you think you messed up. AND STOP THINKING ABOUT IT, stressing about the past never helps. Just focus on what's in front of you until your score comes back.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!! STILL THE DUMBEST TEST EVER MADE TO STEAL OUR MONEY AND ADD MORE STRESS LIKE WE NEED ANYMORE:(

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, the "speak english" thing is false.
-3% of test takers fail the humanistic domain, and that's often due to lack of empathy.
-5% fail the biomechanical domain, and that's mainly people who skip omm, not finish 4+ notes, or just outright really suck at data gathering and diagnosing.

You can see the percentage breakdowns here: Outcomes Data | College of Osteopathic Medicine | NYIT

Just for other readers out there...skipping omm is relative. I completely skipped doing omm on a patient it was clearly indicated for.... The patient even asked for it. I also didn't do red reflex or any of that nonsense tart stuff on more than a couple patients. On one patient i basically gave them a back rub. The other I did some janky ME.

Basically I approached the test like I approached the previous three years of medical school....when it comes to omm, give the very least effort possible to pass. So if anyone else is worried about failing because of omm, hopefully this post helps.

Did you end up passing?

Failed first time, took 2nd time and thought I did worse but somehow ended up passing. The PE fail appeared on ERAS during application filed. anyway, Matched FM in Cali afterward, oh well.

The only thing I did different was actually help patient get up and down the exam table. Actually messed up the diagnosis worse than the first time, but somehow passed instead. So I don’t know
Happy to know that you matched FM in Cali. I'm trying to match IM in CA. I just took it yesterday and I'm freaking out too. Did they tell you why you failed in your first attempt? and what did you do differently for the second time?
[/QUOTE