Worried about the match in 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazyboi1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my mind set on FM. I tried to line up audition rotations (just to get a feel of some programs, specially in TX), but that fell fell through, so I don't have any auditions. I am DO student. USMLE Step 1 was not good, only a 224. COMLEX level 1 was 525. Passed PE. taking step 2 and complex 2 ce in a month, so hoping those scores are better. I have 3 LOR. 1 LOR from FM PD, 1 LOR from Cardiologist and 1 LOR from Psych doctor.

Im slightly nervous, and don't know what to expect. I ideally want to Live somewhere in the South (applying to TX, FL, NC), and some places out west, and some in NY/Philli Area, but I am single and can move anywhere.

Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine. Auditions are helpful but aren't necessary. Your board scores are solid for FM. Get your app material in order (strong personal statements matter). I had stronger numbers, but applied to only 20 Southern California ACGME programs as a DO student. Got 12 invites, ended up at my top choice. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine. Auditions are helpful but aren't necessary. Your board scores are solid for FM. Get your app material in order (strong personal statements matter). I had stronger numbers, but applied to only 20 Southern California ACGME programs as a DO student. Got 12 invites, ended up at my top choice. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

Thank you so much for your response. I messaged you as well. I do plan on applying to around 30-50. Hope that is sufficient

As the previous poster said, you are in great shape for the match. Your board scores are perfectly acceptable for FM - you really just need to pass. Should be fine with your LORs, and aways are by no means needed. I did zero aways and got interviews at most places I applied to, and matched at my #1.

All you need to do now is put together your CV and write a personal statement that demonstrates a strong interest in FM and you'll be good to go. Apply to programs that are a good fit for your career goals and interests and you'll be golden.

Im glad to hear that, people just scare me saying aways are super important !

No aways/auditions, similar steps, matched number one out of state with no ties to the program. It really isn’t that competitive outside of the top. Just apply where you want to go, rank them exactly how you would prefer to go to them, and you will do fine.

If you’re always worried about not matching always make sure do well any auditions, good references , do better on step 2, be a good team player, and especially applied to sufficient number of sites so that you matched. I believe if you get a round 10 interviews the power bill with matching is close to 100%

Also As part of our residency admission committee I know a lot of the programs don’t look at applications if you’ve failed step one or if you found step two CS