IMG Family Medicine Applicants- Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has Henry ford/WSU FM sent all their invites? Anyone got an interview from there?
i am going to the interview tomorrow ... all the spots are full

Members don't see this ad.

Is it necessary to send hand-written thank you cards? I emailed the programs I interviewed at.
I am planning to email them again in Jan end before the ROL gets finalized.
But does sending the cards help or does not sending them reflects badly?

Is it necessary to send hand-written thank you cards? I emailed the programs I interviewed at.

I read article on AAMC and they said their data is inconclusive to whatever that means . i would send them just to be nice and it shows good manner but dont make too much of it. and i am not sure but i wouldn't send LOI again after sending the thank you card. you can show your interest by asking questions about the program

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I read article on AAMC and they said their data is inconclusive to whatever that means . i would send them just to be nice and it shows good manner but dont make too much of it. and i am not sure but i wouldn't send LOI again after sending the thank you card. you can show your interest by asking questions about the program

Thank you!

Hello! Has anyone here interviewed at San Joaquin General Hospital that would like to share his experience? Thanks :)

So regarding sending thank you letter or emails, I feel that programs have been more transparent this time. This is my second time in the interview season and what I have noticed is that at the end of the interview, one of two things occurred. Either programs gave their mailing address or email address for post-interview correspondence to send your thank you letters or questions.

The flip side was a few programs stating that they do not encourage post-interview communication unless you have questions you want to ask. There are programs that do not want to influence or change the way you rank them based on post-interview communication. I know that a lot of the west coast programs have worked on an agreement which they want to honor and they know that for us applicants, we have a lot to think about when it comes to ranking, and vice versa for them too.

Sorry for the long detailed response, but overall, gauge your response based on your interview. If program says it outright not to send any thank you emails or letters, don't send them. Also, do not be discouraged if you don't hear back from them. They won't necessarily acknowledge your thank you letters because they are busy themselves but most likely it will be put in your file.

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody got invite In December ?

I received one invite earlier this month, but it's been quiet since then. Judging from last year's experience, someone I know received an invite up until the 2nd week of January. It's rare, but possible.

Anyone have an interview at Houston Health (in Georgia) ...I heard there is a 20min tests. Anyone have any info on that? Thanks :)

Happy New Year Everyone, wishing the best for all this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,has anyone interviewed with St.Francis Hospital in Delaware? I would appreciate some information on the interview day.

hey guys,
has anyone interviewed at LSU Shreveport Monroe? or know anything about the program? I would appreciate any info! thanks!
Hey, I just got an invite from LSU Monroe in FM. I would really appreciate if you could please share your experience with me. Thank you very much.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I just got an invite from LSU Monroe in FM. I would really appreciate if you could please share your experience with me. Thank you very much.

hey I had a good interview experience there. The PD + 3 faculty interview you in the morning then lunch/tour.
no crazy questions just the standard ones like strengths weakness future plans. They know your CV pretty well and will scrutinize it and ask you to clarify things on it. Be prepared to answer anything from your CV. They ask a lot about your hobbies and interests as well. Very warm and personable interviewers they’re all really super cool.

the program itself is inpatient heavy and they don’t hide the fact that they work you hard. located in a rural setting but there’s decent patient pathology diversity and volume as the hospital is a referral center for many nearby areas.

congrats and thanks for posting .. it definitely will give ppl hope that getting invite is possible this late in the stage

hey guys, what are the highest paying family medicine subspecialties?

Last edited:
So I guess we are coming to an end of interview season . Thanks to everybody participating . Hopefully we all
Match and match to Program we want the best. I want to tell everyone please share whether you matched or not matched along with credentials . By credentials I mean step scores , publications , attending conferences , LOR strength , US Clinical experience , visa status , how many programs applied , how many invites , interview experience of the places matched , or any other factor that might have played into you matching . Why do this !? Because it will
Really help ppl next year applying or reapplying . Please also share your SOAP experience if you had to participate . There is no real guide for Img but word of mouth . So please share and you are anonymous. I know some ppl will share their match , then reply you can find my credentials somewhere on this forum. Some old post might get deleted, so your credentials might not be available anymore. Please if we have everything on one thread is more organized and easy access . I honestly made this thread to help with this season and help future candidates. I want that img match percentage reach to 90 % one day . This is a little step towards that. Best of luck on match

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone got a response to an LOI for their #1 program? I sent mine about a week ago, and still haven't received a response :/

Has anyone got a response to an LOI for their #1 program? I sent mine about a week ago, and still haven't received a response :/

I did received response but some of my friends havent. it depends on the program honestly. I know a friend matched their number #1 and they havent send even a thank you card. dont think too much it , i would still rank them number 1

Did anyone get any ranked to match letters or response to letter of intents from programs in Michigan?

Did anyone get any ranked to match letters or response to letter of intents from programs in Michigan?
I dont think it is legal to get email from a program where you were ranked . They can tell you how much they liked you which indirectly is way to tell you you were ranked or ranked high. For me i had 2 michigan interviews and i only received a reply to my LOI.

I believe programs are allowed to communicate if they will be ranking you just like how applicants are allowed to tell programs that they will be ranking them highly. However, programs and applicants can't ask each other how high they will be ranked.

Non-US IMG
Step1 231
Step2 CK 225
CS pass, all first attempt
YOG 2018
Applied to 200 programs

3 interviews right now.

Is it a good time now to send LOI? or wait a little bit more?
Congratulations!!
what Lors did you have? How many FM?

Matched !!!! I share my credentials and thoughts on friday when I find out where i matched . My credentials already at the top
This forum but post it again for easy access with detailed interview experience where i matched why i think i matched there

Reactions: 5 users
MATCHED as well!
2nd time applicant. Applied Psych first time around. This time FM/IM.
I had way more FM IVs than IM.
Will share experience on Friday...

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everybody! I matched!!!!! 2nd time applicant, and had 0 interviews last year. Ending up matching with 5 interviews this year. Grateful for all the support and I wish everybody the best. For those who matched, congrats! And for those who did not match, do not give up, stay true to yourself and stay committed to working hard, it will happen for you!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Hey everybody! I matched!!!!! 2nd time applicant, and had 0 interviews last year. Ending up matching with 5 interviews this year. Grateful for all the support and I wish everybody the best. For those who matched, congrats! And for those who did not match, do not give up, stay true to yourself and stay committed to working hard, it will happen for you!
Congratulations on your success !!!
would you mind sharing the credentials?

I matched with 2 interviews n 7YOG plus no UCSE just EMT job. 1st cycle no step 3
God is good guys

Reactions: 6 users
So happy for you man! I remember you from last cycle’s thread! Congratsss

Matched! (In either IM or FM)

Reactions: 4 users
Matched as well! I am a 2nd time applicant.

I will share info on friday pending results, but I want to congratulate everyone who has matched! For those who haven't, please do not lose hope. I hope you land a spot via SOAP. If not, do not be discouraged. I can vouch personally and say that it is possible to make it through

Reactions: 3 users
Hello seniors!
Could you please share some img friendly FM programs for observerships or hands on experience? I d be really grateful .. Thank you!

Hello seniors!
Could you please share some img friendly FM programs for observerships or hands on experience? I d be really grateful .. Thank you!
FiU has img friendly externship but most dont have residency . Trumbull in warren ohio has family residency and img friendly. Pontiac generla hospital in michigan are out of match and super img friendly .

Don’t forget to share your journey/experience! It will help a lot the newcomers

FiU has img friendly externship but most dont have residency . Trumbull in warren ohio has family residency and img friendly. Pontiac generla hospital in michigan are out of match and super img friendly .
Thank you very much

As promised I post what experience was. My Credentials are Step 1 217 , step 2 222, step 3 not taken , USCE 2 years through FIU program and some rotations away, I attended the AAFP , had 4 publications, from cali , LOR ( 3 family and one research professor), one presentation. i applied to 523 programs and got 17 interviews( they were all over the USA) . well 18 one got the accreditation taken away before ranking. The place I got matched was my last interview. The interview was with 8 different faculties for 20 minutes each and there was dinner the night before . I be honest , it wasn't my top choice so i didn't really send LOI but i knew they were interested because as soon as my plane landed back they send greeting card and also the PD personally called me to see if i have any question. anyways back to my interview, the dinner resident took us at resident lounge. because the lounge was really nice best of any program i have interviewed at. I am very talkative and made lot of jokes . at the interviews next day , they asked very standard questions why family med? tell us about this experience? what do you want to family? one important question for people out of the state why you want to move here? Big Hint I can give you is tell them you like underserved ( which i really hope you do because that is what family programs that be interested in img anyways) , for location say you are flexible ( which i really was ) and i told them cali is super expensive ( which i really feel that way and want to move away) . other parts make sure you are truthful on resume because you have to elaborate on any of the parts . one other thing is research the program and see heir mission statement and try to sell that ( i mean if you honestly believe in it). see each interviewee see if they have any hobbies in common and try to connect with them on that. ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS!!!! I cant emphasis enough you should ask a lot of questions. for ranking , just rank based on your preference, just make sure you put all specialties in a row . that is all i could think of. please ask if you have anymore question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
1) Did you have FM residency in your home country?

2) Did you need visa sponsorship?