Worried about my past, when I go for my state lisence.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zjruff5

Reaction score
I am 28 years old, just got accepted into CSULB for Kin major. I am very excited and thankful to Jesus for where he has taken me from and where I am now. I made a lot of mistakes growing up as a adult and have been on the right track since Nov.26 2012 and was wondering if I have my whole record exsponged will that be acceptable, or does anyone have any input?!?! I looked at the Ca gov website for pt lisence and there is no black or white answer so I was wondering if anyone on here has heard or gone through something similar?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Our opinions and input are totally irrelevant because we have absolutely no say in the matter. Check with your state's PT Board to see if you can get licensed, given your past record. Go see them in person if you have to. Do it before you start your DPT degree, otherwise it could be a financially devastating mistake.

Reactions: 1 user
Our opinions and input are totally irrelevant because we have absolutely no say in the matter. Check with your state's PT Board to see if you can get licensed, given your past record. Go see them in person if you have to. Do it before you start your DPT degree, otherwise it could be a financially devastating mistake.
I agree, I knew a girl who was on the path to an RN license and she had to work with the state board before she could even enroll to develop a remediation plan for her license. She had to drug test monthly and attend AA meetings throughout school and for the first 2 years of work. She also had to find an employer who was willing to employ her with a conditional license and coordinate with the board on the remediation.
So your first step is to contact the state board and discuss your situation with them to see whether you will ever be able to be licensed. Also, some employers have state and/or federal restrictions on what felonies / misdemeanors disqualify personnel from employment either permanently or for a set number of years. For example a 2 year old DUI might be irrelevant, but a 10 year old assault may permanently bar you from working in a skilled nursing facility.
I know that I had to submit a background check before enrolling in PT school so that they could identify any issues that would prevent a student from being placed in a clinical rotation. I would expect that if you were accepted to a PT program, that you would have to disclose any issues to them and they could still withdraw your acceptance.