Worried about EC's...input appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyfeet1292

MD Class of 2018!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA. I will be applying next cycle so no MCAT yet, although I've done fairly well on past standardized tests and am hoping to perform well on the MCAT (33+). My big worry is my EC's. I don't seem to have anything that makes me stand out (including research w/o publications), and am wondering if this will be a big hindrance in my application. I'm also wondering if I should be shooting for more top-tier, middle-tier, or low-tier schools when creating my application list.
EC's:
AMSA club member (3 years), rising to position as VP
Research job @ school (2 years, no pub yet)
Research internship (1 summer, poster presentation)
Study group leader (1 year)
English peer tutor (1 year)
Clinical volunteering in PACU and family waiting room (2 years, ~100 hours)
Shadowing in 2 specialties (~50 hours total)
Hoping to volunteer abroad for a week during spring break
Leadership conference (summer 2012, 1 week)
Freshman prize for high GPA
Sorority member (no leadership)
*Hoping to add some more nonclinical volunteering during the upcoming year, but not sure how so or what type of volunteering

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly is this "study group leader"? Your ECs look pretty good imo. I think you might want to do a community service activity next year though.

And for applying to schools, my advice to you is the same I would give anyone...apply broadly. There's no reason to only apply "upper-tier" or only "lower-tier" unless you don't have the money for application fees. Apply to a bunch of schools that look interesting and are around your stat-range.

Being a study group leader is through my university where students who have gotten B or higher in any class can apply to be a study group leader and are chosen by university staff. Then you are assigned a group of 12-15 students taking your assigned science class (orgo, bio, biochem, etc.) and you essentially help them study and answer questions and lead group discussions for 2 hours each week. It's kind of like tutoring I guess.
And in terms of applying, that makes sense. I guess a better way to phrase my question is will I even be competitive to get an interview at schools like UPenn, UMich, Cornell, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a study group leader is through my university where students who have gotten B or higher in any class can apply to be a study group leader and are chosen by university staff. Then you are assigned a group of 12-15 students taking your assigned science class (orgo, bio, biochem, etc.) and you essentially help them study and answer questions and lead group discussions for 2 hours each week. It's kind of like tutoring I guess.
And in terms of applying, that makes sense. I guess a better way to phrase my question is will I even be competitive to get an interview at schools like UPenn, UMich, Cornell, etc.?

Those schools are very tough to get into. It heavily depends on your MCAT score. Your GPA is already going to hurt you for those schools, but you're going to need at least a balanced 34 to have a realistic chance. Remember, their medians are around 3.85/36. Definitely apply broadly though.

will I even be competitive to get an interview at schools like UPenn, UMich, Cornell, etc.?
It depends on how substantive your research is (own project or a lot of creative control, writing for your own grants, national/regional posters/presentations, potentially publishable work or accepted publication, etc) or to what extent you have excelled in another field of endeavor, as such schools aim to train future leaders in medicine, and want to see evidence of that potential through activities and LORs. Good numbers help make sure they'll evaluate your Experiences carefully.