Worried About Being Overweight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorriedFrenchFry

Reaction score
Hey all. I know this is definitely an odd thing to post; however, it is something that worries me. I am quite overweight and heavy. My parents have always told me no one will respect me or want to befriend me due to my size. Therefore, for all of you incoming students, medical students, faculty, etc, do you judge students who are overweight? I'm kind of hesitant to meet my future classmates until I lose weight.

Just wanted to add, I do hold the belief that physicians should be models for their patients, as patients may not feel comfortable taking health advice from an overweight individual. However, I also understand that there are so many factors that can lead someone to be overweight that it is not as simple as "just eat healthier and exercise."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Therefore, for all of you incoming students, medical students, faculty, etc, do you judge students who are overweight? I'm kind of hesitant to meet my future classmates until I lose weight.
Your personality, character, and interpersonal skills will matter a lot more than your BMI and clothing size. Some of the more popular people in my medical school class were larger in figure.

And as a resident and now attending, I don't judge students based on their body size. I care about their work ethic, teachability, and ability to care for patients, etc. Just my thoughts as a big fluffy dog *woof*.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Look man lots of us are fat haha.

Stuff like this just doesn't matter. I'm planning on being a super fit 4th year but it's kinda hard to get crazy fit when you're on IM and surgery......

Members don't see this ad :)
Be your authentic self and you will succeed. The school obviously believes in you and your abilities. They accepted you for a reason.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hey all. I know this is definitely an odd thing to post; however, it is something that worries me. I was accepted to my dream medical school recently, and I was so excited for second look. However, I noticed that among the accepted students, I was the only overweight one as everyone else was fit and skinny. I am not morbidly obese, but it is obvious I am overweight. I do think I can get to a healthy weight by the school's orientation week (as I already lost a good amount of weight so far), but I definitely can't lose enough weight for the upcoming second look weekend. My parents have always told me no one will respect me or want to befriend me due to my size. Therefore, for all of you incoming students, medical students, faculty, etc, do you judge students who are overweight? I'm kind of hesitant to meet my future classmates until I lose weight.

Just wanted to add, I do hold the belief that physicians should be models for their patients, as patients may not feel comfortable taking health advice from an overweight individual. However, I also understand that there are so many factors that can lead someone to be overweight that it is not as simple as "just eat healthier and exercise."
I have maybe two morbidly obese students in my OMSI class, and I think 1 in the OMSIIs.

Based upon what my clinical colleagues tell me, your overweight/obese patients will know that you know what it's like to be in their shoes.

Reactions: 3 users
Consider

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry your parents have told you no one will respect you or want to befriend you due to your size. That's not true, and it must have been a hurtful message to hear. I know that heavier people face a lot of prejudice, but please know there are plenty of us among your classmates who will like you for your personality, not your body shape.

Reactions: 8 users
Thank you all very much for your kind words! They truly meant a lot. I decided to go ahead and visit my school during second look weekend. I will continue to exercise and lose weight, not for fear of my classmates judging me, but for my own health instead.

• Love
Good luck to you, friend :) I am also weight-conscious/embarrassed and have constantly thought about exactly what you said in your initial post. Will definitely be heading to the gym A LOT after my MCAT.

n =1 here of course, but I know a neurosurgeon who is morbidly obese and that has NOT affected his standing or his profession whatsoever. He is an excellent doctor and his career only seems to be getting bigger & better. Otherwise he would've, God forbid, been discriminated against and remained stagnant after medical school or something. I believe he's even set to be the department's residency program director pretty soon.

And a friend who is a radiologist had weight troubles in medical school because he was under constant stress. He found his path much later and is much healthier, with a wife, 3 children, big house and successful career. Let nothing hold you back! You made it in

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to you, friend :) I am also weight-conscious/embarrassed and have constantly thought about exactly what you said in your initial post. Will definitely be heading to the gym A LOT after my MCAT.

n =1 here of course, but I know a neurosurgeon who is morbidly obese and that has NOT affected his standing or his profession whatsoever. He is an excellent doctor and his career only seems to be getting bigger & better. Otherwise he would've, God forbid, been discriminated against and remained stagnant after medical school or something. I believe he's even set to be the department's residency program director pretty soon.

And a friend who is a radiologist had weight troubles in medical school because he was under constant stress. He found his path much later and is much healthier, with a wife, 3 children, big house and successful career. Let nothing hold you back! You made it in
Thank you for the stories, they are very encouraging! Best of luck for your MCAT and your future cycle! I also had the same worries when doing interviews, and as I said, I was able to get into my dream school.

Last edited:
Hey all. I know this is definitely an odd thing to post; however, it is something that worries me. I was accepted to my dream medical school recently, and I was so excited for second look. However, I noticed that among the accepted students, I was the only overweight one as everyone else was fit and skinny. I am not morbidly obese, but it is obvious I am overweight. I do think I can get to a healthy weight by the school's orientation week (as I already lost a good amount of weight so far), but I definitely can't lose enough weight for the upcoming second look weekend. My parents have always told me no one will respect me or want to befriend me due to my size. Therefore, for all of you incoming students, medical students, faculty, etc, do you judge students who are overweight? I'm kind of hesitant to meet my future classmates until I lose weight.

No one is going to care unless you wear clothes that don't fit, for whatever reason.