Worried about acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xdxsm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm worried about not getting into any PT schools. What do you think my chances are?

My overall GPA is a 3.74, but my prerequisite GPA is about a 3.4. On the GRE, I got a 153 for verbal but my quantitative score is on the lower end - 146. I got a 4.0 on the analytical section. I think I might retake the GRE again sometime in August, but I am aware that the deadline to take the GRE for is the end of July for early admission at some schools.

I have a little over 100 obversation hours. About 70 for outpatient and around 40 for inpatient. I am involved in a variety of activities at school; I held a leadership position in my sorority for a semester, in an honor society, pre-PT club, and I am a research assitant in an exercise psychophysiology lab. I volunteered at a hospital for about 40 hours one semester, but not in the rehabilitation department because there were only a few spots open.

Do you think this will be enough to at least get an interview at a few schools? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I do think you will get into PT School. It really just depends on which schools you apply and meeting their set requirements. Here is something to be mindful of though, for some schools, at least a 300 is competitive. You are one point short. So, pay very close attention to which schools require a 300 before you apply (I'm saying this even though you intend to take the GRE again). Depending on the program, it is also great that you have required hours from more than one setting, but 100 hours isn't a whole lot. So, you could probably work on getting more hours in a third setting or even more hours in one of your previous settings. I totally believe in you! Don't give up hope! My stats weren't too different from yours, but I'll be starting PT school in the Fall :)

You could totally get in with that at plenty of schools. But take the GRE again, increasing a few points can happen quite easily and that could make a huge difference for you. Figure out what you tend to miss on quantitative questions and study the heck out of those sorts of questions the next few weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I do think you will get into PT School. It really just depends on which schools you apply and meeting their set requirements. Here is something to be mindful of though, for some schools, at least a 300 is competitive. You are one point short. So, pay very close attention to which schools require a 300 before you apply (I'm saying this even though you intend to take the GRE again). Depending on the program, it is also great that you have required hours from more than one setting, but 100 hours isn't a whole lot. So, you could probably work on getting more hours in a third setting or even more hours in one of your previous settings. I totally believe in you! Don't give up hope! My stats weren't too different from yours, but I'll be starting PT school in the Fall :)

Thank you! I feel a little hopeful now haha. I just went into a nursing home to see if I could shadow there, I'm still waiting on the reply. I just wish this process wasn't so stressful!

Reactions: 1 user
You could totally get in with that at plenty of schools. But take the GRE again, increasing a few points can happen quite easily and that could make a huge difference for you. Figure out what you tend to miss on quantitative questions and study the heck out of those sorts of questions the next few weeks.

Thanks for the advice! That's what I think I'm going to do. While taking the GRE for one of the math sections, I got frazzled and ran out of time. Which led to me not answering a few questions. It was a stupid mistake, I know. I just can't wait for this process to be over already!

Reactions: 1 user
That will do it. When you get stuck, move on and come back to those. Those tests are sprints in each section and getting frazzled on one problem can screw you up on time for a lot of easier problems. Just move on to an easy one and come back if you have time. And if you don't have time just pick an answer. Good luck!!!

If I remember right, I think the software has a way to mark questions that you want to come back to later so you can get back to them quickly at the end.

Thank you! I feel a little hopeful now haha. I just went into a nursing home to see if I could shadow there, I'm still waiting on the reply. I just wish this process wasn't so stressful!
Haha, unfortunately, it is the life we chose. I was stressing out about getting into school. Now, I'm stressing out about buying all the supplies and moving, lol. There is always something to be stressed about in this process, but it won't be as bad as the application process. Be strong!